Greatest Indiana Rapper of All Time

Even past SuperNat

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How can you be top anything with no defining records or albums

No offense but I'm kinda confused as to your overarching point.

You said mainstream presence. Now you're talking about records or defining albums.

The two don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. "Death Certificate" is a defining album that had zero mainstream presence.

I'm obviously not saying Gibbs is doing anything remotely on the level of "Death Certificate" but he has no machine behind him to have a mainstream presence. He don't have Interscope like K Dot. He don't have Spotify and Apply putting his shyt on every playlist as soon as it drops, like Drake. And to be fair, he doesn't have that push because he hasn't made any effort to have it. Besides a distribution deal with RCA. But in 2020 (and honestly, long before that) "mainstream presence" is synonymous with "is the machine pushing you?"....and the answer for him is "no".

Fred.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gibbs is good and has been on a run I understand putting him in your personal
Top 10

but overall hip hop?

he can crack top 50 for sure

Kixx

Pro
Daps
Do you guys like Gibbs over soft jazz beats like Madlib and Alchemist or hard beats like he rapped on Freddie?

I like that he can do both, but I much rather have Gibbs rap on trap beats.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Dunno where I'd place him or any active rapper who is still making good music. Gotta wait and see where things end up. I want to see Gibbs continue to grow as an artist and writer. He's always gonna be able to give us gangsta shyt, and shyt talking...but I love hearing him get personal and rap about other shyt. He's done it on multiple projects, most recently Alfredo.

Multiple great projects, from trap (Shadow Of A Doubt) to non-trap (Pinata, Bandana, Alfredo, Baby Faced Killa, etc) and a lot of other solid shyt. ESGN might be the only project he's released in the last 10 years that I thought was meh...and even that has some dope tracks.

I'd rather compare him to peers. He's up there with Kendrick, Danny Brown, Vince, Earl, and others who have released multiple stand out albums.
I'm not onto Gibbs, I'm in here because I'm interested in how easily a contemporary rapper can break into lists. But how much does an artist have to put out? Between solo and collab albums that's 8 projects. Some people grade compartmentalize mixtapes (like me) but add those and that's a dozen plus. There's plenty of rappers who got ranked before having 10 albums.
How can you be top anything with no defining records or albums
If you're saying Top 10 or something then yes but if this is the case a list like the one posted by @mobbinfms can't exist.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I'm not onto Gibbs, I'm in here because I'm interested in how easily a contemporary rapper can break into lists. But how much does an artist have to put out? Between solo and collab albums that's 8 projects. Some people grade compartmentalize mixtapes (like me) but add those and that's a dozen plus. There's plenty of rappers who got ranked before having 10 albums.

If you're saying Top 10 or something then yes but if this is the case a list like the one posted by @mobbinfms can't exist.
Nah everyone on that list had songs and albums that resonated in the culture. I’m not talking about being stars when I say mainstream relevance but just having songs that are celebrated in the culture.

Everyone on his list had that Gibbs don’t.

Kixx

Pro
Daps
He ain’t top 10, but he definitely top 10 for today’s artists. I just respect his grind, he’s constantly dropping projects, reminds me of how artists used to make music. Back in the day an artist would make at least a project a year, now you got these artists like Kendrick who drop once every three years.

RasNas

Pro
Daps
Hes my personal number #10 OAT favorite :manny:

As far as overall skill hard to say but he deserves at least top 60.

For people getting confused. Yes mic skills matter a lot to me but I care more about an aritsts discography than their technical skills when it comes to rating rappers subjectively.
And Gibbs easily got one of the best discographys of last decade and counting.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Nah everyone on that list had songs and albums that resonated in the culture. I’m not talking about being stars when I say mainstream relevance but just having songs that are celebrated in the culture.

Everyone on his list had that Gibbs don’t.
Gibbs is an underground artist with a strong discography (apparently at least 1 classic) that's garnered universal respect, that sounds like a good deal of people on that list, someone of which group artists being ranked individually.

Ignore the numericals
  1. Prince Po (accomplished within Organized Konfusion, what?)
  2. Posdnous (accomplished within De La)
  3. Trugoy (accomplished within De La)
  4. Del (...George Was Here, 1 classic)
  5. Ras Kass (Soul on Ice, 1 classic)
  6. Lord Finesse (lead a movement, but which solo album resonated anymore than Gibbs)
  7. Big L (1 album in his lifetime, is Poor & Dangerous enough to outdo Gibbs' output?)
  8. OC (same as Finesse)
  9. MF Doom (literally the same career parameters as Gibbs)
  10. Kool Keith (lot of material but most accomplished within Ultramagnetic)
  11. Havoc (achieved within Mobb Deep)
  12. Cormega (similar career to Gibbs)
  13. AZ (Doe or Die, 1 classic)
  14. Grand Puba (Brand Nubian)
  15. D.O.C. (has a classic and his pen with Cube's powered NWA, but Gibbs has consistency over him)
  16. Large Professor (major contributor as a producer, why is his discography as a rapper so much different?)
  17. Treach (all within Naughty)
  18. Sticky Fingaz (all within Onyx)
  19. CL Smooth (do 2 classics outweigh a decade of good to great?)
  20. Fat lip (Pharcyde)
  21. Cam’ron (obviously a star, are his best 2-3, albums better than Gibbs)
That's 40% of a 54-man list that's arguable, half of them are getting credit for group accomplishments. You're saying stardom isn't necessary but in order to avoid being shut out of the Top 50 by most or all of these artists that's basically what's being asked.

Superstar
Daps
Do you guys like Gibbs over soft jazz beats like Madlib and Alchemist or hard beats like he rapped on Freddie?

I like that he can do both, but I much rather have Gibbs rap on trap beats.

I think the soul/r&b/jazz/rock samples get more out of him, lyrically. I also know he can make the flow work, no matter the beat, so I often enjoy the harder shyt too.

Edit: :dame: