Jack of All Trades, Master of None (Journal)

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Prior to coronavirus, my weekly ritual was treading water at work until the weekends where I could party @ night and relax during daylight. Like most of us thanks to Covid, I had more time than I knew what to do with in 2020, and I ended up gaining new hobbies and reflecting objectively on old ones. Partying is fun but doesn’t wholly represent who I am, so I have stopped curating my life solely around them. 2021 was a struggle though and I still need to work on finding a happy medium.

That's the goal in this journal (and year).... creating a balance between my personal, social, and professional lives, and hopefully attracting like-minded people along the way, both offline and online. I enjoy TLR as much as the next breh, but there’s only so much celebrity gossip, misogyny/racism, or treh accusations one can take before things feel like a toxic shytshow. Here's to me hopefully being the change I hope to see on the site :cheers:

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Financial
I don’t spend a lot of money and live below my means. This was good enough for me for a while, but I started listening to an audiobook about FIRE (Financial Independence; Retire Early) and realized that I am kinda rudderless out here at the moment. It is good that I’m saving regularly, but I can take the reins to do even better. My main goals here are around trading, but I can also do better with my budgeting and have included that as well.
Budget
  • Budget $100/week socializing (including cover-charges, drinks, etc)
    • Prep for if/when I quit my job
Paper Trading
  • Paper trading is how I get better at trading without risking money. It allows me to increase my consistency through reps
    • Make 1,000 paper trades in 2022

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Professional
Up until recently, my main goal has been to save enough money to quit my job and trade for a living. That is still the goal, but I also realize that I’m likely living in a once-in-a-generation (if not lifetime) job market. Employers are paying top dollar right now, so even if I plan on never being an employee again, it might be smart to job hunt now when employees have all the leverage.

Since I’ve always planned on my current job being the last time I work for someone else, I never invested in my career/professional network. In 2022, I will improve on that. I don’t have a specific goal yet, so initially, it will be about completing weekly tasks:

Networking
  • Network to improve your connections and the odds of a better paying job
    • Create a profile that would encourage passive offer
Tasks
  • Read articles on what LinkedIn recruiters are looking for.
  • Revisit helpful certifications/books and look into getting employer to pay for it
  • Read +2 Hours of a book related to professional development
  • Join a networking group
    • Virtual/online groups work while Omicron is flaring up.
  • Create a profile picture for LinkedIn
  • See what you can add to your profile
  • Attend one networking event per month.
Power BI
  • Become efficient in Power BI to the point that I can confidently use the product
Tasks
  • In a week, have +3 hours of work w/ building/editing dashboards in Power BIIn a week, Read +2 Hours of a book related to power BI
    • Currently reading M is for Data Monkeys book
    • Currently have Power Pivot & Power BI book in my backlog
  • Talk to boss about reimbursement for professional development costs
  • Tackle one professional project per week for my job.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Socializing/Dating
Over the last +10 years, I’ve spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours in the nightlife scene. In retrospect, it might look like a poor investment, but in addition to memorable experiences, I’ve also learned a lot when it comes to dealing with unpredictable variables and sticking with tasks that takes months/years before you make solid progress. 2019 was easily my best year of dating ever, but on the flipside, thanks to Covid shutdowns making an anti-social perspective ideal, some of my old reclusive tendencies have popped up, and 2021 was a mixed bag at best.

I’m definitely interested in bouncing back to my former self, but I don’t have the time to get my reps up at the club for +5 hours a weekend like I used to either. The goals of this section are catered to being more efficient at dating so that my social life meshes with my personal/professional life.

Social media

• I don’t use social media but it’s an excellent tool to get my name/face out there with minimal effort. I want to work on being more authentic online and create a space that will attract like-minded people.
Rules
  • Aim for a social media post every 1-2 weeks
Tasks
  • Read some articles on social media to get a feel for the message I want to portray
Meeting Women
  • I want to get better without feeling guilty, unproductive, hungover or like I'm just going through the motions.
Rules
  • I can only socialize when my main goals for the week are completed
  • Try two new events per month to find like-minded people and take myself out of routine.
    • Schedule this on the first Sunday of each month
  • Seek out areas where you are more likely to have things in common with others
    • Create spaces if you have to
  • Stay congruent with who you are when you are sober
    • Avoid alcohol as a crutch
      • If drinking, stay at a 'tipsy' level and not a 'lit' level
      • Push yourself to do things w/o alcohol to build confidence

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Personal

These are all relatively new hobbies I started in 2020. They all have an unintended consequence of creating more structure in my real life as well, whether it is making me healthier, smarter or psychologically resilient.

General
  • Meditate for at least 3,500 minutes this year
  • Read 20 books this year
  • Workout at least 3x a week
    • (Either Kettlebell Workouts or bike rides)
Cycling-Specific
Milestones

• Bike for +3,000 Miles
    • 250 miles/month
  • Work your way up to a +75 mile ride
    • I want to say 100 miles but don’t quote me
Improve safety
  • Purchase a helmet ASAP
    • Wear the helmet more often, especially every time you are riding the streets
  • Buy a better lock for bike
    • Belt lock?
    • Something easy/effortless to carry
    • U-lock might be sufficient for shorter stops like grocery store visits
  • Standardize maintenance intervals
    • Oiling bike during cold weather
    • Annual tune ups
    • Inflate tires regularly
Kettlebell-Specific
  • I upgraded my Kettlebell from a 25 lbs -> 35 lbs, so my KB goals are resetting
    • Avoid daily podcasts until after the workout
    • 150 swings per session plus a rotation of:
      • 45 Squats per session
      • 15 Clean & Press/session (currently still using 25 lbs)
      • 5 Turkish Get Ups per session (currently still using 25 lbs)
Diet
  • Drink healthy shakes instead of junk food after workouts/bike rides
  • Once football season is over, only eat pizza every two weeks
  • Only take edibles/alcohol to enhance good times, never as a coping mechanism
    • Save for weekends/special occasions/dates

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Schedule
I created a rough outline so that I have some structure throughout the week:

Daily
  • [8:30am - 9am] - Meditation + Plan the Day
  • [9am - 12:30pm] - Work
  • [12:30pm - 1:30pm] - Lunch
  • [12:30pm - 4:30pm] - Work
  • [4:30pm - 5pm] - Decompress for 30 minutes
  • [5pm - 7pm] - Practice Paper Trading (aka backtesting)
  • [After 7pm] - Unwind/do what I want as long as my Daily tasks were completed
Sunday
  • Review my trading for the week
  • Update my overall progress for the week in this journal
  • Seek out social plans for the upcoming week (contingent on hitting my weekly targets outside of socializing)
Monday
  • Dedicate 30 minutes towards self-improvement
Tuesday
  • After 7pm, set aside time for reading after 7pm
Wednesday
  • Set aside at least 30 minutes for a workout/bike ride during your lunch break
Thursday
  • 1-2 hours Power BI specific-tasks at 1pm
  • 1 hour for Professional Development in general at 3pm
    • Could be related to LinkedIn, reading a book on career, etc
Friday
  • Go an ATM and grab cash for the week of socializing to avoid using your Credit Card
  • Plan a workout/bike ride during the day, especially if you plan on socializing later on in the evening
Saturday
  • Go for a bike ride of at least 30 miles.
Every Other Sunday
  • Spend 30 minutes creating/brainstorming for social media
First Sunday of the Month
  • Look online for 1-2 (new) social events for the month

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Weekly Goals
(Reviewed every Sunday)
  • Career
    • Tackle an outstanding task each week (1)
  • Finance
    • # of backtested trades (22)
    • # of journal entries (1)
    • Staying within my budget for socializing ($100)
  • Personal
    • # of workout days (3)
    • # of miles cycled (62)
    • # of minutes Meditated (67m)
Monthly Goals
(Reviewed on the last Sunday of the month)
  • Social
    • # of #s (10)
    • # of dates (1)
    • # of new venues visited (2)
  • Personal
    • # of days with a workout (12)
    • # miles cycled (250)
    • # of minutes meditated (300)
    • # of journal entries (4)
    • # of books read (2)
  • Finances
    • # of backtested trades (85)
    • # of journal entries (4)
  • Career
    • Attend networking event (1)

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Weekly Goals
  • Career
  • Finance
      • Failed with only 17 trades
      • Completed right now
      • Didn't spend a dime socializing. Success
  • Personal
    • # of workout days (3)
      • Failed with two workout days (One Kettlebell Workout and one day cycling)
    • # of miles cycled (62)
      • Failed with only 31 miles of riding
      • Completed
Reflections
Rocky start to my first official week that reminds me that I need to really dedicate myself towards my goals if I want to see positive outcomes at the end of the week. I think my main issue was that I slacked off across the board once I experienced some lackluster trading results. For what it's worth, I did complete my first KettleBell workout in months which was a step in the right direction for me... My legs are still sore smh.

Also, I joined a few book clubs to knock out two tasks with one stone. (Reading books and socializing). I'm reading something like 4 books at the same time right now which is new to me.

How to Improve for Next Week
  • I plan on making up the difference for my trading as well as my working out. I have already scheduled a bike ride for tomorrow.
  • I joined the Coli Accountability group and will use the support system to keep myself honest around my workouts
  • Football playoffs are distracting AF. There are less games next weekend so I can nudge myself to be more productive

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Damn I almost forgot the biggest news.

I applied to WFH permanently back in December as my company was enforcing 2 days/week in the office starting 1/3. Thanks to Omicron, that got pushed back to February, but I did get a notification this week that I was accepted for a 6-month extension to WFH. Not the permanent status that I hoped for, but I can skip the office until at least the summer time which is a win for me. In terms of sleep, productivity and life in general, I've achieved a balance through WFH that I've never experienced before, all while spending less money. WATTBA

I have no desire at all in moving up the chain because I'm not interested in the stress of additional responsibility/oversight, but recently, @Panther posted about r/overemployed recently and the idea of working two similarly structured jobs is enticing if the trading doesn't pan out by summertime. Especially since I'm starting to dig deeper into Power Query and can see the automation abilities it provides for recurring reports. I need to do some research to see what my options are. I will look for resources this week as a career-related task.

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You got a fan brotha...please keep this thread updated(it inspires me as well).

I have my ups and downs when it comes to being focused but when I'm on my game my life elevates every time.

Social media is definitely my biggest downfall because i just procrastinate(like today) mainly in tlr. But like you said there are only so many times one can read the same topics over and over again...and it isn't putting money in my pocket

Lord-Yosh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York
This is dope breh. I started a schedule right before the new year and fell off in a week :mjlol: this thread definitely has giving me the inspiration to start again :salute:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Weekly Goals
  • Career
      • I have been tackling a book on Power BI
  • Finance
      • Completed right now
      • Didn't spend a dime socializing. Success
      • Failed with only 17 trades
  • Personal
    • # of workout days (3)
      • Completed
    • Read more books (2)
      • Completed one audiobook and one actual book
      • Completed
    • # of miles cycled (62)
      • Failed with only 10 miles of cycling
Reflections
I copped a new bike and I am excited about eventually riding it when it arrives. The weather has thrown a wrench in my cycling goals though thanks to a temperature dip making it too cold/slushy for rides. I will have to make up the miles when the weather improves.On the bright side, I still managed to hit 3 workouts last week by via kettlebell workouts.

How to Improve for Next Week
'Next week' is already halfway over so I will be brief:
  • When it comes to trading, this week is a wash. I felt a bit of futility/uncertainty creeping in and decided to regroup and revisit some of the fundamentals.
  • Carve out time to socialize without drinking too much
    • Get cash and stay within your budget of $100 for the week

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Socializing
So I haven't gotten a phone number in like 1-2 months. I stopped all online dating, and took a hiatus from general socializing when Covid spiked, but even prior to that I haven't been on my square.

With the Covid #s dipping, I might as well pop out this weekend and get some reps in. I think my biggest concern right now is putting my ego ahead of my current skillset...

I am far from a Casanova but I did ok pre-Covid. That was based on consistently clubbing every weekend for years tho. I definitely understand how some ppl can view chasing skirts as a waste of time, but there's something I personally find fulfilling around city dating... perhaps the randomness of vibing with someone new, or slowly putting the pieces together around a former stranger.

Also, I like the duality of trying to have a great balance between my professional life and my personal life. There are so many people who are amazing in their careers/hobbies, but getting dragged through the ringer in their personal lives. I don't think there's a substitute for hard-work and experience tho, which is why I think the Kevin Samuels "Just be rich and you're good" crowd is so misguided. The people you attract are more likely to be fleeting/materialistic which usually ends poorly. Even some of my idols, I look at and cringe at how terrible their dating lives are/were, so I take additional joy in knowing that I'm learning and growing in ways that the people I look up to could not.

Currently, there are 1-2 people in my life I kick it with occasionally, but I miss the fun/uncertainty of it all... That moment where she hesitates but then agrees to slide back to the crib, or the random 2am "You up" texts where you kinda think you know what she's on, and altho you're not sure, you're still hella excited at the possibilities. Those kinda experiences are what I'm after. I've had success in the past, so I'm not starting from scratch but I have to remind myself that:
  1. I'm going to get curved more than I'm getting a phone #
  2. Of the #s I get, I'm going to get more flakes than responses
  3. Of the responses I get, I'm going to get more 'fizzle outs' than first dates
  4. Once I get to the first date, I'm usually gucci.
It's weird. Over time, I've gotten cool with getting curved because it's happened hundreds of times and after a few great experiences, the rejections fade into the background. After a hiatus though or some self-doubt, it's a lot easier for me to get in my head and end up in the club, making excuses while leaning against the wall.

This weekend, my only social goals are to try somewhere new, smile more, and avoid over-drinking when I'm bored/nervous.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Weekly Milestones
Completed
Career
    • I carved out ~30 mins per day to read a Power BI book during the workweek
Finance
    • Including a haircut, I spent $97 in total for one day of clubbing. Pregaming helped a lot.
Social
  • # of new social events completed (1)
    • Tried the bookclubs
  • # of contact info received (2)
    • Grabbed two numbers
Personal
    • Completing right now
  • # of workout days (3)
    • Completed with two kettlebell workouts and one 10-mile bike ride.
Room for Improvement
Finance
    • I completed only 1 trade for the entire week
Health
  • # of miles cycled (62)
    • Came up short with only 10 miles of cycling
  • # of Meditation Sessions (6)
    • I fell short
Reflections
This week was my first time trying to socialize in 2022. I completed two virtual bookclubs which are great, because they allow me to kill two birds with one stone (socializing + reading more). One bookclub was work-related while the other was personal. It felt good putting myself in an atypical situation and eventually getting comfortable in it. My work bookclub was just me and 12 white women. TLR would've been :mjlit: at the PAWG ratio :russ:.

On Friday, I decided to go barhopping/clubbing. Since I pregamed at the crib w/ a homie, I managed to keep my costs down substantially. Once I got a buzz going, I did buy a round which is typically my biggest expense. I've got to figure out how to lower costs here w/o being a scrooge lol.

The first # I grabbed was a chick that approached me. Turns out we had met before. The convo was going well, but she showed up with a dude IIRC, so midway through I ask a question that requires her to say whether she has a bf and she confirmed that she does. I grabbed the # but I'm not holding my breath and probably will just keep things friendly if I text her. When she texted me, an old convo popped up where she kinda ghosted me anyways. :yeshrug:

The second # I got was brief and unmemorable. We texted each other our names, but it never occurred to me to show a bit of personality or keep the convo going and so that's all that happened. She's 10 years younger than me too, so I have low expectations and wouldn't be surprised if I got one of those "Can you share a photo to remind me what you look like?" responses when I follow up today. Even though it seems low probability, I have been dragging my feet on reaching out. I think it's probably the transition from knowing that 'rejection can and will happen' in the abstract, versus being in the actual situation and that potential feeling where 10 minutes without a response turns into 10 hours and you get that sinking feeling lol. No time like the present to get acclimated though so I'll reinitiate a convo after this post.

Outside of socializing, my simulated trading took a back seat last week. I decided that instead of spinning my wheels, I can tighten up on my fundamentals by revisiting the basics. I plan on getting back on the horse towards the end of this upcoming week tho. With my meditation, I have made a change in how I track my progress. I will count sessions instead of minutes. Also, I realize that if I don't meditate to start the day, I'm much more likely to procrastinate for the rest of the day. The ironic thing is that I actually like meditating, but when I put it off, it unconsciously turns into a chore. I want to work on doing it ASAP before my brain convinces itself that there must be a reason why I'm procrastinating.

With my professional development, I have created some flashcards around the chapters I've read so far. I'm proud that I did it halfway through the book instead of waiting until the book is finished and having 2x the work.

Focus Areas for Next Week
This upcoming week will be keeping my busy. No complaints and I've started structuring my week to be more efficient already. Here are the main areas of focus:
  • Wrap up my revisit of the Trading Fundamentals
    • Finish the trading book that I'm reading
    • Look to permanently lock in the knowledge of the final chapters of the book
      • When creating flashcards, reference the text to go along w/ the screenshots
      • Contemplate creating drills to tackle areas that seem foreign
    • Set rigid criteria around my requirements to enter a trade
  • Make time for your hobbies
    • When it arrives, I need to assemble the new bike I bought
    • When it arrives, I need to install an SSD replacing my HDD
  • Plan for the week socially
    • Stay within your budget of $100 for the week
      • Get cash from the ATM in advance
      • Contemplate pregaming (without getting too lit) to save $$$.
    • Set goals outside of socializing that must be met beforehand
      • 5 meditation sessions
      • Completion of VSA book & Flashcards created
      • At least 3 workout sessions completed
    • Research social events taking place between Thursday - Sunday

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
I didn't read all of this but it's great you got a real written specific plan and schedule your sticking to.

Your ahead of 90% of people alone just having that.
Most people just coast through life and IF they do have a plan it is very vague thus it leads to nothing more often than not.

:salute: Keep at it breh.

Last edited: