panopticon

Superstar
Daps
I remember reading this somewhere...bigs are always the guys GMs and coaches have to be most careful of. Not for injury reasons or anything, but because of their level of buy-in.

A lot of em never really loved playing basketball. It wasn't something they ever really wanted to do. They just got funneled into it because of their size at an early age. Often against their will - or they were too personally weak to resist the pressure coming from parents, school, etc. to play.

So then when they turn pro and get that first guaranteed check...whatever motivation they had to get through high school and college ball just dies out.

Tough to force yourself to do something you don't like. Even tougher when you're doing that thing in the midst of people for whom its been a lifelong passion.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Don’t see how he fits. Gentry plays uptempo. I’m sure he will run Giallo/Randle as his front court off the bench. A team like SA couldn’t take a run at him?

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Maybe he would’ve got burn if NO didn’t have an epiphany about their style of play late last year. If they plan on slowing it down during the second unit, maybe he could find burn there, but even as improved a defender as Nikola was, you don’t want him and Jahlil on the court at the same time.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
I guess

Ya know, guards n wings go overseas then come back all the time. Sometimes they stick as rotational players in the NBA upon their return, sometimes they go back overseas. But a lot of times they get another shot at the league

You don't really see the same occurrence with bigs tho. Cant remember the last big who struggled early on, flamed outta the league, went overseas, then came back and was an effective/productive player. Wonder y bigs dont (typically) get the same courtesy :jbhmm:
You can always find a younger middling big, and usually the younger the better for that type of role. You want someone scrappy who’s still lean and could be molded into a competent role guy. The other positions, age and wear probably factor a lot less in designating a backup desirable

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Now that's what I call dead weight :francis:
200.gif

pimpineasy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Okafor issue is he is a slow defender big that offers no rim protection and while he is dominant on the blocks. He fukks up your spacing and stifles ball movement.
How he plays over mirotic and randle in a Gentry system I struggle to see .
Reminds me of when Steve Kerr foisted Shaq on to Gentry on the sun's