Jamaicans and Africans goin in on Black Americans over Adele

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol: and u go ahead & keep spewing that fukking nonsense about Grandmaster Flowers being a pioneer of a culture he wanted no parts of :russ:

Hiphop was around for years before grand master flash stepped into the game:sas2:

usVfeda.jpg

this is why herc called out Flash

now it's true, Flash was a pioneer within hiphop turntablism but he WAS NOT an ORIGINATOR of HipHop music/culture. Flash was an outsider/geek who was watching from the sidelines:pachaha:

yall better stop listening to them KRS lies:pachaha:

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
Saw that twitter shyt. Don't give your money to their businesses midwest, south and west bruhs.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Hiphop was around for years before grand master flash stepped into the game:sas2:

usVfeda.jpg

this is why herc called out Flash

now it's true, Flash was a pioneer within hiphop turntablism but he WAS NOT an ORIGINATOR of HipHop music/culture. Flash was an outsider/geek who was watching from the sidelines:pachaha:

yall better stop listening to them KRS lies:pachaha:

tenor.gif

da fukk dose GM Flash gotta do what i posted ... about GM Flowers hating hip hop but y’all new nikkaz claiming he was some type of pioneer ???

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
tenor.gif

da fukk dose GM Flash gotta do what i posted ... about GM Flowers hating hip hop but y’all new nikkaz claiming he was some type of pioneer ???

you mentioned flash here/below

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/jam...icans-over-adele.802244/page-49#post-38951426

grandmaster flowers is who flash got his namesake from:myman:

Joseph Saddler would name himself “Grandmaster” after Grandmaster Flowers, and “Flash” after comic-book superhero Flash Gordon

A Toast to Grandmaster Flash: Hip-hop Pioneer, Turntable Wizard and Superhero DJ

secondly, what flowers was doing was directly tied to what would later be called "hiphop"

As I said before, what came to be hiphop was an out growth of what the non-gay overground BLACK disco Dj's (Flowers for example) were doing

first dj's with 2 turntables and a mixer = disco djs (hiphop identified dj's followed this and copied)

first dj's with full blown rhymes over breaks = disco dj's (hiphop identified dj's followed this and copied)

0PL4JDn.jpg

to some that all up,

hUmEPJu.jpg

bUf7vTv.jpg

9BlCdO8.png

the entire musical side from the breaks to the rapping was pioneered by these disco dj's.

What cholly rock is talking about is that the disco dj's didn't IDENTIFY with the term hiphop and they HATED when bboys would go DOWN ON THE FLOOR at their club parties. What cholly rock didn't mention is that early bboy burning/top rock was performed at those black overground disco joints

early hiphop dance/bboys crews predate herc by his own admission! They were to be found at disco-parties before the phrase "HIPHOP" was coined They just weren't called bboys

Herc:

When did you start to get involved in it?

I started to get involved in it right after my house got burned down. I was going to parties back then, see. A place called the Tunnel and a place called the Puzzle, right on 161st Street – that was the first disco I used to party at. Me, guys like Phase 2, Stay High, Sweet Duke, Lionel 163 – all the early graffiti writers – used to come through there. It’s where we used to meet up and party at.

Then, years later, [there was this club] called Disco Fever. Disco Fever used to be right here on 167th. But before Disco Fever there was the Puzzle. That was the first Bronx disco.

So back then you still weren’t playing?

I was dancing, I was partying. Right around 1970, I’m in high school.

That was when b-boying was starting?

Yeah, people were dancing, but they weren’t calling it b-boying. That was just the break, and people would go off. My terms came in after I started to play – I called them b-boys. Guys just used to breakdance… Right then, slang was in, and we shortened words down. Instead of disrespect, you know, you dissed me. That’s where that came from.

Red Bull Music Academy Daily

herc himself basically gives it away/admits to it when he says he was a bboy in the early 70s even before he started djing

zer9t56.jpg

people who were there swear that they saw early bboys at Grand Master Flowers parties

On the Ilixor boards, PappaWheelie reports that "At a lecture about hip hop history at the Brooklyn public library the lecturer was interupted, while claiming hip hop to have originated out in the Bronx, by an angry man claiming hip hop to have started out in Brooklyn. After gaing the attention of the crowd the man, whose name escapes me now, proceded to produce photos and a flyer, both dated 1968, of Grandmaster Flowers rocking a party of thousands in Brooklyn and in the front row are what appeared to be bboys uprocking. Who knows, it might just turn out to be that Brooklyn keeps on makin it and its the Bronx that keeps on takin it."

Brooklyn Music: BrooklynBio: The Mystery of Grandmaster Flowers

and

Plummer- Yes, see I wasn’t in it to make a lot of money, that wasn’t in my mind. Had I seriously thought about that I don’t know if I seriously would have gotten as far and as fast as I did. The reason why I bought up Sedley is because he sounded like Hank Spann on the radio, so he was rapping over the records and all of the sudden between Pete d.j. Jones and myself we had a guy to rap over our music and then Flowers too got an m.c or two. Like I said we copied off of each other and so we all just got better every quickly.

Then there was these guys called the City Steppers (Flame, Michael, Dungie and Doc) and Sedley knew these folks. These were the guys that would take the card board out there and they would start doing break dancing and stuff, this was 1973, 74 and 75 I guess. They would come with us and do all this fantastic stuff and it just seemed like it happened so quickly.

Troy- Where did they come from did they just attach themselves to you?
Plummer- Yes, all these were high school kids or recent grads, and they found a way to contort their bodies and stuff like that. They were a bunch of kids and somehow it became competitive thing for them. I didn’t have them that often but they would come and they liked my music so they said,”Can we do this and I said fine.”

Troy- So you had guys like Rubber Band, Flame, Doc and etc.
Plummer- Yes I remember them and most of them are in the Atlanta area now. But to be honest with you they were cooler with Sedley then me.

Troy- How is Sedley doing today?
Plummer- He went to school for engineering, got a degree and later on he went into acting. He’s out in California now.

Troy- So this music bought you d.j.’s together into some sort of union. You said you categorized the music 3 different ways as spoken word, mix and dance? I bring that up because they have in hip hop 4 elements break dancing, graffiti, m.c.ing and d.j.ing. Was that what you guys actually called it among your peers and fans of the music?
Plummer- (after a long pause.) We never had those kinds of discussions; it had never been done that way before. I mean you always had the radio station d.j.’s of various flavors and they would do play with all kinds of spoken word, different kinds of rapping and stuff like that and then you had the different kinds of radio stations that specialized in different kinds of music and different d.j.’s that had their favorite types of programmed music. But we did everything on the fly and what just made us feel good. So we were inventing all this stuff as we went along. As far as those 3 categories you just spoke about I was really trying to describe to some people at a website (www.deephousepage.com) in a language for people to understand. We had the hip hop kind of stuff or the spoken word kind of stuff and that was sort of when Sedley B came, he would have these rhymes and it would be sort of competitive but most of it was speaking to the women. I would be mixing to the beat of the music and he would have these love poems towards the women. Then the competitive stuff started but by this time I was out of it, by the time Grand Master Flash and them came around I was already out.

Troy- Now you said you never even seen or heard of those guys like Herc or Flash during the time you was in the game!
djplummer060.jpg
djplummer062.jpg

Plummer- Nope! I was gone by then.

Old School Hip Hop Interviews - DJ Plummer | OldSchoolHipHop.Com

another so called "disco" dj

tYhIO1e.jpg

DJ Reggie Wells

(standing with Kool Herc)

Cats on the hiphop circuit know about the work Reggie Wells put in at Club 371(Along with Hollywood, Eddie Cheeba, Junbug/Rip), During the mid 70's to early 80's, But, Cats on the dance music circuit most definitely know about Reggie Wells reputation for rockin a spot all-night to the morning lite at Justines(35thst and 8thave in Manhattan),

From 1979-1984, Reggie Wells started mixing on the Dance music circuit in 1974(Along with Reggie Wells mixing on the radio at CCNY in Harlem, During the mid/late 70's too, Reggie Wells was also mixing on BLS during the late 70's(1978-1980), Too, Reggie Wells, Junbug and Lovebug Starski, Are a few of the cats that i have ever heard, Who could

Rock a party for any type of crowd(Dance music crowd/R&B commercial crowd, Hiphop crowd, Stickup kid crowd, Big Willy drug dealer crowd, Etc), Reggie Wells was one of the premiere Dj's in New York, During ther late 70's to late 80's, Reggie Wells was one of the first cats to mix on the Intrepid(Battleship on 45thst and the Westside Highway),

^^exactly what hiphop sprung from. In that clip you hear hustle disco breaks, hard core funk breaks and the mc'ing

Pete Dj Jones: "One of the first rapping dj's (KC The Prince Of Soul), I stole him from Flowers"

Do you remember the kinds of records you were playing in that early ’70s period?

I was playing most of the hits, like James Brown… I think what created hip-hop was the multi-ethnic music in the New York area. Every DJ had an MC.

Did you have one?

Yeah, KC The Prince Of Soul. I stole him from Flowers. He started MCing with me around 1971, then I had JD The Disco Prince, then I had Lovebug Starski.

Lovebug Starski - You've Gotta Believe
When did you start using MCs?

I started MCing myself, I used to like talking over the music. You got guys like Kool Herc and Bambaataa that claimed they started hip-hop, they gotta remember that hip-hop emerged from R&B. I had a lot of rappers say they was influenced by me. These rappers started emerging about 1975 and 1976.

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2019/01/pete-dj-jones-interview

More and more DJs were incorporating emcees into their sets; that is, having someone on the microphone shouting out the DJ and keeping the party moving. KC Prince of Soul, Grandmaster Flowers’ emcee, was the first to talk over a record—imitating popular radio DJ Hank Spann of WWRL. Soon after, Harlem’s DJ Hollywood began talking over his mixes and became more famous for his wordplay than for his deejaying. Hollywood’s street fame led to him selling copies of his deejay sets around the way at barbershops and bodegas. On the strength of their party-friendly approach, Eddie Cheeba and DJ Hollywood became the house DJs at Harlem’s Club 371.

A Toast to Grandmaster Flash: Hip-hop Pioneer, Turntable Wizard and Superhero DJ

Last edited:

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I read that thread... the amount of ppl agreeing with that tweet was :hhh:

There is a test I always give myself before commenting...

"Am I agreeing with/defending a cac?"
"Am I disagreeing with/attacking a fellow black person?"

If the answer to both is yes... I need to rethink what i'm about to post and why. Cuz that's a red flag. :francis:
Even if I agree...i won't say it in front of non Blacks

ski

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That is not true at all, if anything they are too uptight

You can joke with an American or someone raised here, but other groups especially Africans who come here, are serious about everything. They tend to take something small, and make it big, just like this Adele situation

Even some West Indians do this. I remember getting into arguments with them, and if you don't agree or prove them wrong, you have to worry about fighting or someone getting shot because they get loud, and disrespectful, over something small.
They move to the States and pick up the baggage.

Try having these conversations while in the Islands or on the AFrican continent. People too busy with other things in life to get into this black/white haggling.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
They move to the States and pick up the baggage.

Try having these conversations while in the Islands or on the AFrican continent. People too busy with other things in life to get into this black/white haggling.
So you gonna act like they do that because they are more chill, and not because there are barely any white people around? Really?

You act like the states is the only place where blacks are not the majority, that this happens. Go to Latin America it's talked about, even places like Australia have this issue

Until black people deal with reality of their situations ain't nothing gonna change