Jay-Z-Renegade... Listen to what he is saying... He ate this shyt up

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Too bad RD is a top ten rap album of all time.:comeon:
Ok Jay Z fan...

The rest of hip hop did not think so, until Jay Z mesmerized the public...Nobody remembers the hip hop atmosphere when Jay Z dropped Reasonable Doubt...

We remember 2Pac's shooting, facing sexual assault charges when MATW dropped...We remember 2Pac coming out and stunting on the Ring Leaders when he dropped AEOM...We remember the ominous atmosphere and conspiracy theories when 2Pac dropped Makeveli...

We remember Jay Z putting Prodigy on that Summer Jam screen and the Takeover when he dropped Blueprint (his only classic)...Which Nas swiftly brought to a crashing halt...

Nobody remembers Jay Z dropping RD...Only his fans are having hindsight nostalgia when it comes to that album...

dunkman6

All Star
Daps
Ok Jay Z fan...

The rest of hip hop did not think so, until Jay Z mesmerized the public...Nobody remembers the hip hop atmosphere when Jay Z dropped Reasonable Doubt...

We remember 2Pac's shooting, facing sexual assault charges when MATW dropped...We remember 2Pac coming out and stunting on the Ring Leaders when he dropped AEOM...We remember the ominous atmosphere and conspiracy theories when 2Pac dropped Makeveli...

We remember Jay Z putting Prodigy on that Summer Jam screen and the Takeover when he dropped Blueprint (his only classic)...Which Nas swiftly brought to a crashing halt...

Nobody remembers Jay Z dropping RD...Only his fans are having hindsight nostalgia when it comes to that album...
I'm not even big on Jay. Don't type paragraphs at me. You not changing how I view a song.:camby::rudy:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not even big on Jay. Don't type paragraphs at me. You not changing how I view a song.:camby::rudy:
(1) You are not the only poster on The Coli...

(2) I am expressing my opinion, I am not trying to change yours...

This is why we post...To express and view other people's opinions...If we didn't care, we would not post and we would live in a social vacuum...

Prae

Pro
Daps
Ok Jay Z fan...

Well I didn't start listening to rap until 2001, I don't even know when Jay called RD a classic, and I don't give a fukk about Jay (and think he's overrated). But I still have RD as the #2 album of all time.

So idgaf about the "atmosphere" when it dropped. I let my ears and the music do the deciding. It's still one of the best rap albums ever made.

Last edited:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
To say that Jay got killed is phenomenally stupid (unless you are in a lyrical combat with Jay after he left condoms in your baby moms seat and shyt like that).
Both delivered 5/5, imo Em took the edge though but both absolutely killed that song.

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
nikkas wasn't saying that em got jay until nas said it on ether :beli:

one of hip hop's biggest myths in the last 15-20 years.

This is absolute bullshyt. I heard "Renegade" when I was 10 years old and the first time I heard it I thought Eminem shyt all over him. I prefer Jay, but Em obviously killed him on that track

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Yet, it sold faster than Illmatic. The only difference was that it wasn't backpack enough for a 5 mic.
And during that period 4 mic and 4.5 mic albums that got switched to 5 mic later on >>>>> 5 mic albums.
Just cause nobody remembers when Life Is Good dropped and everyone remembers when BP3, that means BP3 is a lot better according to your genius ass mind.:ehh:

If you actually were alive back then you would remember how maaad people were calling classics like MATW average, how Wu-tang wasn't real hiphop..
Classics are albums that help define hiphop, help define eras and sometimes it takes a little while for that to conform. Jay-z's promo was basically some of his nikkas, with rented benzes and vans in the tri-state area. So nikkas on the west coast not calling it a classic until a few years down the line is not odd, if you're not fukking listening to the music until a few years down the line. :beli:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I didn't start listening to rap until 2001, I don't even know when Jay called RD a classic, and I don't give a fukk about Jay (and think he's overrated). But I still have RD as the #2 album of all time.
So no
I can't argue against your individual opinion...You love that album, good for you...

All I am saying is that I didn't hear anybody mention this album in 96...Saying that Reasonable Doubt is a classic is like picking up a Black Merda record from the 70's and saying that "it's a classic"...But the truth is, nobody even thought it was a masterpiece when it was released...

BastardChild

Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Daps
Reppin
Bridgeport , CT To Columbia , SC
EM also made the beat.. he had time with it.. recorded his verses already once ...had time to master spitting it over the beat...
of course he gets the edge.. but why are we talking about this again..

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly Dude is just grasping at straws because he can't take others having a differing opinion on the album than him. The album is classic :umad:

Being an intelligent guy, I went and looked up the definition of "classic"...

So, according to Oxforddictionaries.com, Classic can be defined as (a) judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind (b) very typical of its kind...

My new opinion is this...

(1) If Jay Z fans want to call RD a classic, they have the right to do so...I personally have YET to meet a non-Jay Z fan who thought that album is classic...I have listened to that album once, and I just thought that it wasn't up to par with the New York sound of the time...That's my opinion, of course...

(2) An album being called a classic doesn't really mean shiit, because there is NO objective measure to determine classicness...I can't really argue against an individual's opinion on such a completely subjective choice...

Any album can essentially be a classic, depending on the definition used and the argument presented...

This is the last debate I will ever have about the classicness of albums...

Every album is a classic in its own right...The only thing that matters is if one likes it or not...