Jerry Seinfeld on Woke Left Killing Comedy: 'This is the Result of the Extreme Left and PC Crap'

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Standards evolve and change through decades, it's up to comedians to study audiences, adapt or be left behind. A lot of people are not going to find a joke funny when the punchline is just racism or bigotry("He's Black, get it?"). That stuff was funny back in the day where people didn't know a whole lot about each other and other cultures. It's 2024 now, though and saying "ching, chang cho chi" to mock a Chinese person isn't funny anymore unless you have some larger point to make. People want smarter comedy, and going after low hanging fruit, low effort stuff like mocking a group of people that dominant society already looks down upon isn't going to cut it.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is still going strong and it's as offensive as ever. Tom Segura has a strong career and he's as anti-pc/woke as they come. We go through this PC/woke has killed comedy routine every other year, and yet comedy still persists. We'll all die out before comedy does.
South Park, Family Guy, Always Sunny, Rick and Morty,etc all that shyt still exists.

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS
Another chance to post my fave memes when this topic comes up for the 1,000th time.

comedian-who-hasnt-been-funny-for-20-years-starter-pack-v0-twa72r58akyb1.png

comedian-who-hasnt-been-funny-for-20-years-starter-pack-v0-qbbror1ywlyb1.png

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
Cacs always complaining about woke and always misusing the fukking word :scust:

Breh,

And here we are 10 Pages of discussions about "Woke" as if the White B*stardization of the word has any validity, SMH!

There is ZERO Reason for Black Folks, to adopt/use the HIJACKED, b*stardized version of a word, We Created.

"Woke" does NOT Mean, any of that Dumb Shyt White Folks, claim it does.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Breh,

And here we are 10 Pages of discussions about "Woke" as if the White B*stardization of the word has any validity, SMH!

There is ZERO Reason for Black Folks, to adopt/use the HIJACKED, b*stardized version of a word, We Created.

"Woke" does NOT Mean, any of that Dumb Shyt White Folks, claim it does.

Just for clarification, no one is using that term here, at least im certainly not. I’m quoting the cac in the op directly from twitter

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
I feel like most of the thread didn't even listen to the audio. :mjlol:

Part of the quote is his, but he ended it with "you should be good enough as a comedian to navigate around all that".

The last 3/4ths of that Tweet are some random commentary he never even said.

Having said all that, if people want to disregard what he's saying because he dated a 17 year old :hubie: I have zero issues with that.

Fred.

It's wild how easy it is to get people going over a few buzzwords. They took a piece of what he said and either deliberately or inadvertently ignored the context of what he was saying to get a trending topic going. And this is not me caping for him cause I see stuff like this all over the internet and it's only going to get worse with AI.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This argument is silly. Who's been canceled? Louis CK still sells out MSG. Chappelle's got how many Netflix specials out? And that lame Matt Rife is still going. That Shane Gillis guy was on SNL not too long ago.

You hear the complaints because with social media everyone has a platform, but that doesn't mean anyone gets canceled.

And sitcoms? I've been watching Modern Family because I never watched it when it aired. It's gets away with a lot for a show that was on network television. It's Always Sunday has been going for like 15 years.
canceled doesn't just mean can't work at all, it's losing gigs...like Kevin hart losing his hosting gig over some joke he tweeted 8 years ago. that's the type of stupid shyt people are on. it's not even making a joke IRT that doesn't land today, the whole going back to be outraged at a publicly displayed joke from a decade ago is stupid

CW99

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Jerry has never been funny he got the battery in his back because of his last name true DEI hire in entertainment. fukk him for the Bee movie

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In that case, keep doing it then and deal with the pushback and consequences that could come from it.

Don’t cry foul because you can’t say and do the things you used to do. Adapt with the times or keep doing what you “used to do.”

People are too scared about their bread so they’d rather bytch about it instead.
i feel like there's a weird perception, where this perpetually offended group on the far left is seen as representing far more people than they actually do. i don't think people have actually changed that much

the transgenda is a perfect example. i don't know anyone in real life who actually thinks men should be playing women's sports, and yet for some reason, it's the majority position of the Democratic party :mjlol:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The proof is in the pudding, where are all the new prime time comedies, and no im not just talking about network tv. I’m talking about HBO im talking about movies, where is all the great comedies? Kevin Hart alone is the only one getting money to make comedy movies and they are terrible.
Blame Hollywood.

She was on Melo’s podcast talking about the comedy competitions she won and how back in the day, that shyt used to lead to a show offer from a network. Not anymore.

She also said one of the repercussions of the recent deals ending all the strikes is that studios aren’t willing to spend anymore.

Soylent Greenz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Comedians have always poked fun at fringe groups/and societal norms which,to careful observers,either never made sense or were always funny in a perverse sense.

The best ones do this while making you think differently at the same time.

With outrage culture,you can't just say things,even about shyt which makes no sense and is obviously funny(insert new age norm here).

Comedy is and always will be a form of social commentary,but as we can see from social media getting government requests to remove accounts,people on college campuses being arrested for protesting against isreal,and folks on this forum actually cheering and rooting for censorship,the goal is to sanitize EVERYTHING,with all discourse including Comedy moving down the straight and narrow...and the sad shyt is they have gotten most folks(broads) to actually want this.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
He isn't saying comedians should be offensive. He is saying they should be able to push the line within the perimeter of society's norms.
Artists should express themselves they way they want, and deal with the pushback and repercussions that come along with it.

If a comic wants to push boundaries and be edgy, should make jokes about his/her/their own group(s).

Comics want the right to shyt on other groups freely.

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
canceled doesn't just mean can't work at all, it's losing gigs...like Kevin hart losing his hosting gig over some joke he tweeted 8 years ago. that's the type of stupid shyt people are on. it's not even making a joke IRT that doesn't land today, the whole going back to be outraged at a publicly displayed joke from a decade ago is stupid
Losing a gig because you didn't get your PR team to run your social media isn't a person being canceled. The company thinks you're making them look bad, so they go with someone else. Free market and calculated risk.

Should they hire Jo Koy to do another awards show even though his jokes fell flat and the consensus is that he did a terrible job hosting?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Artists should express themselves they way they want, and deal with the pushback and repercussions that come along with it.

If a comic wants to push boundaries and be edgy, should make jokes about his/her/their own group(s).

Comics want the right to shyt on other groups freely.
And the minute they shyt on their own y’all label them c00ns, the way people are now trying to label Chris Rock’s comedy. Everyone is too fukking sensitive and looking to be offended