Jerry Seinfeld on Woke Left Killing Comedy: 'This is the Result of the Extreme Left and PC Crap'

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure how much he believes this. He was on a talk show once where louis ck used the N word to his "friend" Chris Rock.
Rock was visibly shocked, the White host and audience laughed, and it was Jerry Seinfeld who wasn't laughing, that called ck out for saying that shyt.
He rightfully called that bullshyt out, as editors are right to call out offensive language in comedy routines and bits. ck felt completely comfortable saying in public what he had obviously said to Rock in private. Had Seinfeld not said anything, guests and audience would have just laughed it off.
He isn't saying comedians should be offensive. He is saying they should be able to push the line within the perimeter of society's norms.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/7
Jerry Seinfeld is on the New Yorker Radio Hour blaming "the extreme left" & "PC crap" for why there are no sitcoms anymore. Not streamers or any systemic reasons that we *just* saw at play with the WGA strike. Just "The wokes won't let us make comedy anymore." Absolute brain rot.

Conan did a great job talking about this topic on his podcast recently, that comedy isn’t harder anymore it’s just smarter

2/7
I think so. I definitely take someone more seriously when they have a track record of making laugh for 30 years without being bigoted. Seems like they may be on to something …

3/7
Jimmy Carr on Conan

4/7
Jimmy Carr on CNAF

5/7
Jimmy Carr on CNAF

6/7
Jimmy Carr but also the Downey episode in many other episodes. He brings up the topic quite a lot, particularly when interviewing comedians.

7/7
Jimmy Carr on CNAF

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Comedy evolved past stand-up and sitcoms :yeshrug:

Social media gives anybody with a sense of humor a chance to get their shyt off in a picture or video

They just mad they don't have the monopoly anymore

FACTS, there are way more funny people in the world than hollywoods handpicked few.

they literally try to copy the jokes and style of humor found on social media and it's do it very it poorly, I can't help but cringe sometimes.

a black writer in hollywood spoke on how white creatives are monitoring black twitter for content.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is still going strong and it's as offensive as ever. Tom Segura has a strong career and he's as anti-pc/woke as they come. We go through this PC/woke has killed comedy routine every other year, and yet comedy still persists. We'll all die out before comedy does.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He is right. It’s beyond silly to spend so much energy scrutinizing the jesters and the clowns of society. Use that energy to criticize people who actually hold the power to pass legislation.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Some people are trying to frame this as “White guy mad he cant offend people” but will gladly enjoy the Chapelle Show and The Boondocks which were always borderline crass in its jokes (Jimmy Rebel, The nikkar Family, Fried Chicken Flu etc). :aicmon:

Face it, this affects black comedy just as much. Its probably the reason why a lot more of black comedy has moved online. They don't got to worry about that cancellation barrier as much.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Some people are trying to frame this as “White guy mad he cant offend people” but will gladly enjoy the Chapelle Show and The Boondocks which were always borderline crass in its jokes (Jimmy Rebel, The nikkar Family, Fried Chicken Flu etc). :aicmon:

Face it, this affects black comedy just as much. Its probably the reason why a lot more of black comedy has moved online. They don't got to worry about that cancellation barrier as much.
There's no cancellation barrier.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
There's no cancellation barrier.

Didnt Dave Chapelle and Kevin Hart face backlash over their past jokes? Dave Chapelle even did a bit on the whole environment now. Certain episodes of the Boondocks you cant even stream.

If theres not a cancellation barrier there is definitely one that leads to more drama and outrage, and most want to avoid it.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/4
Jerry Seinfeld saying you can't write sitcoms anymore because of woke despite the fact his old writing partner just wrapped up a 24-year run of one of the most beloved sitcoms of all time, is arguably the funniest thing he's done in decades - funnier even than Bee Movie, perhaps

2/4
I also include the majestic "Talking to Funnier People While I Show Off My Cars and Consolidate Drinking Coffee as a Personality Type" in this

3/4
Ok, so what’s the golden age of edgy network sitcoms we’re harking back to here? The one with Will & Grace and Everybody Loves Raymond? Or the one with Home Improvements and The Cosby Show?

4/4
A sitcom that was still hugely popular in the year 2024, yes. I know we all yearn for the golden age of edgy sitcoms like Mad About You and Caroline in the City, but at some point we need to move on

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GMWYifMXkAAVEr5.jpg

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This argument is silly. Who's been canceled? Louis CK still sells out MSG. Chappelle's got how many Netflix specials out? And that lame Matt Rife is still going. That Shane Gillis guy was on SNL not too long ago.

You hear the complaints because with social media everyone has a platform, but that doesn't mean anyone gets canceled.

And sitcoms? I've been watching Modern Family because I never watched it when it aired. It's gets away with a lot for a show that was on network television. It's Always Sunday has been going for like 15 years.