Sicut enim vox tonitrui in rota mundi sonat,
sic in omnem terram exivit sonus predicacionum beati Iacobi,
quod est filii tonitrui

Gloria Patri et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto

While the Savior was on the mountain, imposing the most appropriate names
to his disciples, he called James and John Boanerges,
which is the son of thunder.

For as the voice of thunder rings in the wheel of the world,
Thus the sound of the preaching of blessed James went out into all the land.
which is the son of thunder

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My friend, as you know, Christianity is a creation of Paul. The Book of Romans explains it all.

The Gospels are meant to capture the 'mystery' of Jesus of Nazareth. The various letters to Christian communities detail what Christianity ought be.

Without Paul, Christianity would've been a small Jewish sect.

:banderas:

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i did, and the main take away i got from it was that pauls interpretations are a great deal of the issues between jewish interpretation of the gospels and current christian thinking :jbhmm: and when i read the epistles side by side with the gospels its clear where the divinity is coming from

yet the dogma and instruction is being dictated by the epistles...and most christians are afflicted and waiting for the end because of them and revelations

so once again...who do you follow: Paul or Jesus?

giphy.gif

I follow the Holy Spirit :blessed:

• Dap

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
I believe Jesus Christ was fully human. I also believe that, in a sense, he was embodying YHWH.

I think we make the mistake of putting very Westernized, anthropomorphic, individualistic ideas of what "God" is. We think God is like Zeus, just some guy, except he happens to live in the clouds and be very powerful. He might as well be a Marvel character, hell, even inferior to certain Marvel characters in some people's reckoning.

I think when you look at God from a more Eastern sense, when you look deeper into the ancient Jewish ideas of God (pre-Christian ideas, they added a lot in reaction to Christianity later), you get something more mystical about who and what God is and the various ways that Jesus may have represented Him.
These essays are helpful for me in seeing the possibilities more broadly.

Been thinking about it in this sense lately. Near-Eastern/Eastern approaches make more sense, and the fact that the West has been admittedly for the longest time, openly, trying to take the Easterness out of Christianity turns me off from the Western lense of it. And the fact that the Western frameworks are just fukking messy and corrupt and too convoluted

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Been thinking about it in this sense lately. Near-Eastern/Eastern approaches make more sense, and the fact that the West has been admittedly for the longest time, openly, trying to take the Easterness out of Christianity turns me off from the Western lense of it. And the fact that the Western frameworks are just fukking messy and corrupt and too convoluted

Yeah, I think Anselm/Aquinas in the 11th-13th centuries and the Calvinists in the 16th century did a massive disservice to theology by trying to rewrite everything in their own image. They attempted to re-interpret the Bible without any context or cultural knowledge, distancing themselves entirely from the traditions of the past, and then believing they had the "ultimate truth" when in reality it was steeped in their own cultural baggage.

I'm not saying that Eastern formulations are perfect either, or that Western Catholicism hadn't come up with plenty of weird, misguided stuff long before the 11th century. But the frameworks that came during that Reformation and pre-Reformation period are the ones that have been latched onto as "the truth" by many in the modern Western world, and they don't leave room to back up and look at shyt again from a 1st-century context.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Y’all know Jesus had half-siblings?

noone ever seems to consider James enough

Those are two different James though.

James the son of Zebedee was the brother of John and one of the first disciples to join Jesus, but he wasn't related to Jesus in any way. He became a leader of the church in Jerusalem after Jesus's death, but he was the first disciple to be martyred, killed by King Herod in 44 A.D., a little over 10 years after Jesus's death.

James the brother/half-brother/step-brother of Jesus didn't come to believe in Christ until after his death, but must have believed and become an important figure in the church fairly quickly, because Paul speaks of meeting with him the very first time he visited Jerusalem to meet the early church leaders, at some point in the late 30s A.D. (probably around 6-9 years after Jesus's death). At some point soon after James the son of Zebedee died in 44 A.D., James the brother of Jesus became the head of the Jerusalem church himself (as Jesus's original disciples had dispersed to Egypt, Ethiopia, Syria, Turkey, Greece, Rome, and possibly even India to spread the gospel around the world). The letter of James in the New Testament is attributed to this James. He himself was martyred by the Pharisees at some point in the 60s A.D.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
That's definitely not Jesus's whole purpose, and the Bible doesn't portray it as Jesus's whole purpose. It's a modern distortion by a certain branch of right-wing evangelicals.
Amalek

Jesus rose from the dead despite our sins. And to take away the fear of death from mankind and for those who believe on my name.

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
@Koichos @Art Barr
Remember my post about Othniel the only judge associated with Judah

And Caleb said, “He who attacks Kirjath Sepher and takes it, to him I will give Achsah my daughter as wife.
Now Achsah was given "upper and lower springs in Negev" and I said to you that it could be an allegory...
According to Numbers 13, Caleb, the son of Jephunneh, was one of the twelve spies sent by Moses into Canaan. Their task, over a period of 40 days,[3] was to explore the Negev and surrounding area, and to make an assessment of the geographical features of the land, the strength and numbers of the population, the agricultural potential and actual performance of the land, settlement patterns (whether their cities were like camps or strongholds), and forestry conditions. Moses also asked them to be courageous and to return with samples of local produce.
the diagram was drawn with purple ink :wow:

Caleb (dog) was the son of Jepunnah (for whom a way is prepared) ... one of the themes in the Book of Judges is that they go out, judge the Israelites (who had followed a way of Canaan) and expose the error of the way of Canaan. According to the story, the way of Canaan that Othniel destroyed was the belief in Polytheism...which in theory should mean that Othniel is actually undefeated as a judge.

Last edited:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's definitely not Jesus's whole purpose, and the Bible doesn't portray it as Jesus's whole purpose. It's a modern distortion by a certain branch of right-wing evangelicals.
What’s Jesus main purpose in your opinion then?

Gods sent him. What did he accomplish?

• Dap

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
What’s Jesus main purpose in your opinion then?

Gods sent him. What did he accomplish?

He came so that we could have life, and have it abundantly. He came to seek out and save sinners. He came to spread the Good News. He came to serve us and give his life for us. He came to break down dividing walls. He came to set the oppressed free. He came to heal the sick. He came to find the lost. He came to bind up the brokenhearted. He came to be the light, so we would not be lost in darkness. He came to bring eternal life. He came to bear witness to the truth. He came to reconcile us to God. He came to reconcile us to each other. He came to destroy the power of death. He came to bring us the grace of God. He came to show us God's glory. He came to allow us to partake of the divine nature. He came to suffer and be tempted, so he could help us when we are tempted. He came to show us how to live. He came to teach us how to love.

All of those are pretty much direct quotes from the New Testament. But if you want me to summarize a little and put it into my own words instead of Biblical language, I'd say:

1. He came to teach us how to live

2. He came to show the despised, the sinners, the lost, the sick, the oppressed, the brokenhearted, the poor, that they were all loved by God too

3. He came to break down the walls between Jew and Gentile and show that all are God's children

4. He came to teach us that the essence of all the law is to love God and love one another

5. He came to teach that it is better to serve than to be served, to love rather than be loved, to give rather than to take, to act in peace rather than violence

6. He came to show us that God loves us, forgives us, wants us back, and will do anything for us

7. He came to show that religious rules are only a tool, not the goal, and anything that fails to serve God's ultimate purpose of loving God and loving one another should be dropped

8. He came to show us that death is not the end, that Satan has not won, but that God has defeated the devil and even death itself and we can share in that victory with Him

If I thought about this for longer than I will probably realize I missed something, but that's what comes to me off the top of my head.

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
@Koichos @Art Barr
Remember my post about Othniel the only judge associated with Judah
Bō'az (whose real name was Ivtzan), King Davîd's paternal great-grandfather (Rût 4:21,22), was from the tribe of Y'hûdah in the small town of Beit Lêhêm (Rût 2:4). Bō'az/Ivtzan's Judgeship is recorded in Shōfṭîm 12:8-10.

Caleb (dog) was the son of Jepunnah (for whom a way is prepared) ... one of the themes in the Book of Judges is that they go out, judge the Israelites (who had followed a way of Canaan) and expose the error of the way of Canaan. According to the story, the way of Canaan that Othniel destroyed was the belief in Polytheism...which in theory should mean that Othniel is actually undefeated as a judge.

Actually, Kalev was the natural-born son of Hetzrōn (D.H. Part I 2:18), son of Pêrêtz (verse 5), son of Y'hûdah (verse 4), and stepson of K'naz. This is why Kalev is referred to as הקנזי Hak'nîzzî ('the K'nîzzî', as in B'mîdbar 32:12; Y'hōshûa 14:6,14), that is, 'belonging to K'naz's family', but not once as בן קנז ben K'naz ('K'naz's son').

He was commonly known as
כלב בן יפונה Kalev ben Y'fûnneh, but יפונה Y'fûnneh is not a name; בן יפונה ben Y'fûnneh is descriptive and means 'the one who turned [against the other ten explorers]' (see B'mîdbar 13:30). He was also called Mêrêd (D.H. Part I 4:18) because he מרד marad ('he rebelled') against the other explorers.

• Dap

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Bō'az (whose real name was Ivtzan), King Davîd's paternal great-grandfather (Rût 4:21,22), was from the tribe of Y'hûdah in the small town of Beit Lêhêm (Rût 2:4). Bō'az/Ivtzan's Judgeship is recorded in Shōfṭîm 12:8-10.

Actually, Kalev was the natural-born son of Hetzrōn (D.H. Part I 2:18), son of Pêrêtz (verse 5), son of Y'hûdah (verse 4), and stepson of K'naz. This is why Kalev is referred to as
הקנזי Hak'nîzzî ('the K'nîzzî', as in B'mîdbar 32:12; Y'hōshûa 14:6,14), that is, 'belonging to K'naz's family', but not once as בן קנז ben K'naz ('K'naz's son').

He was commonly known as
כלב בן יפונה Kalev ben Y'fûnneh, but יפונה Y'fûnneh is not a name; בן יפונה ben Y'fûnneh is descriptive and means 'the one who turned [against the other ten explorers]' (see B'mîdbar 13:30). He was also called Mêrêd (D.H. Part I 4:18) because he מרד marad ('he rebelled') against the other explorers.
very interesting :jbhmm: you're saying Caleb is a rebel against Moses? or just the other spies... :lupe:

i noticed you did not disagree with my assessment about Othniel...thinking backwards Othniel should be the true judge of Israel

this part of the psalm always confused me..."my precious" David says...and the "power of the dog" @Marks

remember that "undead dog beast"

the "shin" bone of David :damn:

Last edited:

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
very interesting :jbhmm: you're saying Caleb is a rebel against Moses? or just the other spies... :lupe:
Kalev rebelled against the advice of the other 'spies' (although I prefer 'explorers' because they were not 'spies', engaged in espionage; the Hebrew used is לתור latûr, which not only sounds like—but also means—'to tour').

i noticed you did not disagree with my assessment about Othniel...thinking backwards Othniel should be the true judge of Israel
Well, from 'Ōtnîyel in Shōfṭîm 3:10 right up to Sh'mûel, the last Judge (in Sh'mûel Part I 7:6,15), the word used is always וישפט vayîshpōṭ 'and he judged' (or equivalently שפט shafaṭ 'he judged', שפטה shafṭah 'she judged').

As far as the 'true' Judge, are you familiar with the Jewish acronym
BD"E (a short-form blessing of mourning)?

Now I am confused!

• Dap