JJ Abrams' "Overlord" (No Longer A Cloverfield Movie)

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it tonight, I don't know if the director was intentionally going for a B-movie style or he is just that fukking bad at his job because some of this shyt is shot so goddamn poorly. Outside of the good performance from the main lead (Jovan Adepo from Fences) the rest of the cast is so bad (the white lead in particular is a miscast from hell) that scenes can be borderline unwatchable. And for a movie about Nazi zombie fukkery it never goes all in either so you keep waiting for it to go full Wolfenstein and it never gets there. It's cheap and poorly done and comes up short even as a piece of escapist cinema and you know that Abrams wished that he could have finessed people one last time here with his Cloverfield scam.
I like it. I thought it was one of the better movies this year :yeshrug:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This was fukking awesome! I loved every bit of it. From the hyper realism of the war scenes to the creepiness of the underground lab. This was a really great "period" zombie film with a modernized take on some old tropes. In particular, I love the serum/1000-year old soldier metaphor about how war changes people and the ways the characters changed as a result of both the war and the crazy shyt they saw. That's classic zombie storytelling right there. What's cool is that it's taking place in one of the most horrific experiences that happens all the time. It's kinda wild no one has thought to do anything like this before in a war setting because it's such a perfect set up for a zombie story. I really liked the lead character and his arc, that was really well developed. I actually came to like the entire team. There was a lot of debate when the trailer came out about the historical inaccuracy of having a black man in a white unit, but this was so obviously intentional. I think there's some other messaging in this film about humanity, hate, power, but I'll have to watch it again. Besides all of that though, this was intense AF and Abrams didn't hold back when it came to killing folks and blowing people up. But it wasn't just useless gore. Everything done had a purpose and the story was tightly woven. Only lasts about an hour and a half, and it never dragged the entire time.

I'm rambling now, so I'll just close with I really loved this movie.

I'd give it a 10.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was fukking awesome! I loved every bit of it. From the hyper realism of the war scenes to the creepiness of the underground lab. This was a really great "period" zombie film with a modernized take on some old tropes. In particular, I love the serum/1000-year old soldier metaphor about how war changes people and the ways the characters changed as a result of both the war and the crazy shyt they saw. That's classic zombie storytelling right there. What's cool is that it's taking place in one of the most horrific experiences that happens all the time. It's kinda wild no one has thought to do anything like this before in a war setting because it's such a perfect set up for a zombie story. I really liked the lead character and his arc, that was really well developed. I actually came to like the entire team. There was a lot of debate when the trailer came out about the historical inaccuracy of having a black man in a white unit, but this was so obviously intentional. I think there's some other messaging in this film about humanity, hate, power, but I'll have to watch it again. Besides all of that though, this was intense AF and Abrams didn't hold back when it came to killing folks and blowing people up. But it wasn't just useless gore. Everything done had a purpose and the story was tightly woven. Only lasts about an hour and a half, and it never dragged the entire time.

I'm rambling now, so I'll just close with I really loved this movie.

I'd give it a 10.
Exactly. That nikka @TheGodling trippin. This shyt IS return to castle Wolfenstein as a movie. The atmosphere was so perfect that it was skressful to watch

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I might peep this on $5 Tuesday. I was really only interested in seeing what fukkery was had in connecting this shyt go the Cloverfield universe, but I can think of worse ways to spend $5 so :ehh:

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk outta here. If this shyt is supposed to be a 10 Imma give up on the Film Room for life.:mjlol:
nikka we ain't watching this academy award winning performances and long drawn out one cut speeches. We watching this for action and horror which it excelled at

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
nikka we ain't watching this academy award winning performances and long drawn out one cut speeches. We watching this for action and horror which it excelled at
I didn't watch this Nazi zombie movie for that shyt either, that doesn't mean I'm lowering my standards to look past the shyt performances from most of the cast, the lack of compelling or well-written characters and the really not so impressive action and horror.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't watch this Nazi zombie movie for that shyt either, that doesn't mean I'm lowering my standards to look past the shyt performances from most of the cast, the lack of compelling or well-written characters and the really not so impressive action and horror.
You say it's trash, all the big critic sites say otherwise :umad:. I think I'd take their opinion more seriously over some random on a hip-hop forum.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This movie would of been GREAT had it been a standard war film. The opening scene in itself was almost as good as that in Saving Private Ryan. Had the ENTIRE film been on that vibe, it would of been a masterful film. But, that shyt quickly fell to shyt. For real, fukk this movie for as a war film that ends up going nowhere and a so-called "Zombie" film with NO fukkING ZOMBIES. You have like bodies being experimented and nothing more, and the Germans trying to find the formula for Captain America's super soldier serum basically. That's basically it and it was barely used as a significant plot. The story itself was week with mostly filler. You could of taken the fake experiment to master the super soldier serum out of the still had the same result. That's how insignificant that was. And the acting by most of them aside from the lead actor was terrible. It's such a let down, especially how this film STARTED.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

I'm trying to figure out how you think the performances were shyt? Like can you give some examples because when looking at the genre, I think this was above board in terms of performances. I know you didn't like the lead white dude, but I thought he did a great job.Not trying to change your mind, just trying to figure how we came to drastically different opinions about this movie. I do wonder if people have "zombie fatigue" because of TWD and all of the zombie films that have been released over the last decade, and maybe their expectations are so ridiculously high they will always be disappointed.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
You say it's trash, all the big critic sites say otherwise :umad:. I think I'd take their opinion more seriously over some random on a hip-hop forum.
Why the fukk would I care what they say, they ain't me and I know what I like and what I don't. Also, I don't know what makes me more of a random than some reviewer online. You don't know those people either, breh.

I'm trying to figure out how you think the performances were shyt? Like can you give some examples because when looking at the genre, I think this was above board in terms of performances. I know you didn't like the lead white dude, but I thought he did a great job.Not trying to change your mind, just trying to figure how we came to drastically different opinions about this movie. I do wonder if people have "zombie fatigue" because of TWD and all of the zombie films that have been released over the last decade, and maybe their expectations are so ridiculously high they will always be disappointed.
Everything about the white lead felt off. He was supposed to be some grizzled dude who already knew what war is about but he completely failed to make me buy it since he didn't have any intensity. Outside of the movie trying very hard to sell you on how this guy has been through some shyt, the performance just fell flat at every turn.