Joe Budden perfectly explains how NY hip hop fell in the early 2000s

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Not arguing with the latter point but 50 brags that he has.

50 was bragging about cross label power. I don't think 04-05 the labels were consolidated like they are now. Remember he said he could stop a project at Koch? :mjlol:

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Bingo.

Look at Ghostface cosigning mediocrity.

TM101 is easily one of the most overhyped albums of all time. Most of it was mediocrity/trash elevated to obscene levels.

You only say that about TM101 because you've seen the last 10 years of knock offs trying to match that sound... when it came out there wasn't shyt like it....

But you weren't listening to hip-hop when it came out, so......

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
My dude in here sayin 'Ecclesiastical' just to try to find an explanation for why NYC went :flabbynsick: on us. I hope you from NY :mjgrin:

:russ::russ:

Yall are makin this hard when it's not. shyt is simple.

Hip-hop music from the south, since it's origination, was based more on emotion and feeling than technical skills and bars. And emotion and feeling in music will ALWAYS win out over technical skill over time.

There's not a single NYC rapper who can make me feel how I feel when I listen to Soul Food front to back.

I mean if you think about it, it makes sense. NYC was the birthplace, and they shaped the style, and for the first 20 or so years everybody was fascinated by who could do the most creative things with the words. But yall won't keep listeners engaged and a culture growing by begging for corner cypher bars in every song :yeshrug:

But after a few decades of that, it's only natural that the genre evolves towards something different.

I agree....but it ended up doing more damage than good...
A generic trap song with a strong 808 can get my adrenaline going, but where is the balance?

Like I'm not a hater of any region..
I just look at it like a plate of food..
The South started giving the game more dessert than a well rounded mea..

I really think if nikkas like juelz/fab/lloyd banks would have done what they were supposed to, ny would have still been strong..

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
it gotta be a mix of Jay, 50, Diddy, and Ebro...

Jay is notorious for silencing people below him...look at Budden even...he got sat down......Diddy watered down the whole shyt...50 completely ruined Styles P's Time Is Money era and destroyed him in the prime of his career on a major....these cats cant act like their hands are clean. maybe you cant put the whole thing on one person but they all played a role. NY snake shyt killed NY.

ShadowBroker

Born of the Night
Daps
Reppin
KIC8462852
The internet. A lot of other factors too, obviously, but the internet around that time was starting to show its ass with social media. It expand peoples music selection. They didnt have to rely on NY tastemakers to tell them that you should be listening to is this NY rapper. The internet gave people more control over what sound they wanted to hear and they overwhelmingly rejected that NY sound. Unfortunately, this has led to rappers chasing the latest, hottest, music trend, ditching everything that made NY rappers unique from the getgo.

Oville

Pro
Daps
Its not really speculation 50 has admitted to and taken pride in blackballing Ja Rule, Fat Joe and I think others as well. New York has always been competitive but theres two types of ways that competitiveness manifests in Hip Hop. One way is through battles the other way is by collaborating on songs with the best rappers and taking pride in outshining them consistently, You couldn't get those rare east coast posse cuts like John Blaze, Banned from TV, 4,3,2,1, I shot ya during 50's era cuz cliques wasn't messing with each other.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Gradual decline once the Tunnel closed and the music that fit that aesthetic that other clubs copied slowly but surely dissipated and people looked at strip clubs and clubs in Miami/Houston/Atlanta to copy next. That and the digital caused less people to buy as well which also doubled down aside from a top heavy small list of rappers. But I think radio followed what clubs were popping. Obviously you can argue the internet breaking down region also helped but I still argue even in the 90s and Source days other regions were getting exposure just not organized yet and not getting love in all radio markets.

TinFoilSnapBack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Here are my two cents:

1. The Clear Channel takeover of terrestrial radio nationwide, combined with the rise of the internet, made hip-hop from everywhere accessible to everyone. This is good in a way, but it also homogenizes the culture instead of each region having it's own distinct sound.

2. 50 Cent's embrace of the southern drawl, and his constant shytting on other NY artists.

3. The new crop of 2000s mixtape rappers who all flopped due to lack of originality and inability to write hooks.

4. Wayne and Jeezy taking over street hip-hop, while ringtone rappers took over the clubs and the mainstream.

5. The decades long arrogance of NY caught up to it. Once other regions really started poppin, everybody was happy to shyt on NY.

6. Jay-Z, and other rappers with record labels, never wanted their artists succeed to a point where it would threaten their own success. You can say Kanye, but he was brought in by Dame. Same with Dipset. That's low-key why Jay don't like Ye or Cam, IMO.

7. NY rappers trying to hop on the south's wave instead of creating something new.

8. I also agree with what someone said earlier about sampling. Once those samples got too expensive, NY producers couldn't hack it. Southern producers have always been nice without samples (i.e., Mannie Fresh).

Side note: I would say that Puffy's shiny suit era had a hand in it, but the GOAT era of NY came after that (late-90s DMX, Pun, Black Star, Cam, etc.). I will say that, looking back, the mid-90s jiggy era was so fukking trash. As a kid, I loved it, but damn so much of it was garbage.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Nah I agree with Maino...that Ebro and the OGs of new York not vouching for the 5 boros played a part

Like he said New York still had movements during 50 Cent debut that was popping...

Dipset...Rocafella. Dblock..and even Nas was still hitting ...

But once your most powerful local Radio infrastructure Hot 97 falls back and down the line Power 105 follow suit..it's a wrap

Joe is basically speculating ...to pinpoint 50 as the sole culprit

That's just a conspiracy theory that's been around for decades first spun by Fabolous
I disagree

50 made nikkas choose sides instead of unite.... which killed our friendly competitive spirit...

He also made it cool for NY nikkas to rap with down south accents.... which was the beginning of the death of our sound

I fukk with 50's early music and him as a businessman now but his moves in the mid 00s were a big part of NY's death

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
My dude in here sayin 'Ecclesiastical' just to try to find an explanation for why NYC went :flabbynsick: on us. I hope you from NY :mjgrin:

:russ::russ:

Yall are makin this hard when it's not. shyt is simple.

Hip-hop music from the south, since it's origination, was based more on emotion and feeling than technical skills and bars. And emotion and feeling in music will ALWAYS win out over technical skill over time.

There's not a single NYC rapper who can make me feel how I feel when I listen to Soul Food front to back.

I mean if you think about it, it makes sense. NYC was the birthplace, and they shaped the style, and for the first 20 or so years everybody was fascinated by who could do the most creative things with the words. But yall won't keep listeners engaged and a culture growing by begging for corner cypher bars in every song :yeshrug:

But after a few decades of that, it's only natural that the genre evolves towards something different.

1. I'm not from NY

2. You said the same thing I said, but you don't know it. lol

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
You only say that about TM101 because you've seen the last 10 years of knock offs trying to match that sound... when it came out there wasn't shyt like it....

But you weren't listening to hip-hop when it came out, so......

Keep telling yourself that as you endlessly stalk. You frauds are something else :mjlol: