John Singleton's 'Snowfall' Season 1 Thread

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
if aint HBO i aint watchin

Yea typical Showtime is probably gonna run this show to the ground for 9 seasons, use suspense music for the street violence scenes, and it will probably start out like The Wire but end up like Belly... Part 2 :why:

Last edited:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
These black film directors have got to have a bit more pull in Hollywood than this. At least i hope so. Only shyt like this gets greenlit

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Only one group has pull in Hollywood so anything other than black people with no crack or sports isn't very kosher........
Even the independent films revolve around scandal, lust, crack, etc. I wish we could pool our resources and have a funded independent film company and do some different shyt. Gotta have some fresh ideas

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Even the independent films revolve around scandal, lust, crack, etc. I wish we could pool our resources and have a funded independent film company and do some different shyt. Gotta have some fresh ideas
Thats not the issue my friend. Distribution is. Remember that rant Kanye went on? It was funny as hell but sad as well. He realized that you can make a product but with no way to get it to the masses, its pointless and so you have to give up a lot to even get a piece of something you made yourself. Say you invent something amazing, the distributors will fukk you because you don't have the means to mass produce. Same thing with films, there is like some entity that works together to only show shyt they want.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
These black film directors have got to have a bit more pull in Hollywood than this. At least i hope so. Only shyt like this gets greenlit

If it's not about fukkery and outlandishness (sports and entertainment), it's about drugs and the streets.

Nothing in between.

Loud, gaudy nikkas, or poor, violent and dangerous ones.

And I can't say I blame the "industry" alone, because even if it's some homegrown, web-series shyt, it's Money and Violence. And now there's like 2/3 rip-offs of that.

Even when we get a chance to do something ourselves, we gravitate towards it.

:yeshrug:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Thats not the issue my friend. Distribution is. Remember that rant Kanye went on? It was funny as hell but sad as well. He realized that you can make a product but with no way to get it to the masses, its pointless and so you have to give up a lot to even get a piece of something you made yourself. Say you invent something amazing, the distributors will fukk you because you don't have the means to mass produce. Same thing with films, there is like some entity that works together to only show shyt they want.
What would be cool is hell is if they had something like a Black netflix and it produced its own independent black films and miniseries. For a small fee of 7.99 per month. Call it "BlackIndieFlix" or just "BlackFlix"

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
What would be cool is hell is if they had something like a Black netflix and it produced its own independent black films and miniseries. For a small fee of 7.99 per month. Call it "BlackIndieFlix" or just "BlackFlix"

"Separate but equal"?

Nah, I don't think that's the answer at all.

What, should there be separate movie theaters for black movies too?

To produce the films we've got to build our own cameras and use those instead?

Nah, man. Quality. Quality is the answer.

I don't watch any Shonda Rhimes shows, but she's shown and proved that she puts out quality, watchable material (for her demographic), so right now she's got the keys to ABC as an entire network. 4 shows on and like 4 more+ in development.

You think they're making John Singleton make this show? Or do you think it's the idea he brought to them?

shyt, Straight Outta Compton just did $60 mill opening weekend and they're already asking Ice Cube and his son what they want to do next. (They just said no to a possible movie about the LA Riots)

If we keep looking at black movies and black TV like it should be a separate thing, then they'll do it too.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
"Separate but equal"?

Nah, I don't think that's the answer at all.

What, should there be separate movie theaters for black movies too?

To produce the films we've got to build our own cameras and use those instead?

Nah, man. Quality. Quality is the answer.

I don't watch any Shonda Rhimes shows, but she's shown and proved that she puts out quality, watchable material (for her demographic), so right now she's got the keys to ABC as an entire network. 4 shows on and like 4 more+ in development.

You think they're making John Singleton make this show? Or do you think it's the idea he brought to them?

shyt, Straight Outta Compton just did $60 mill opening weekend and they're already asking Ice Cube and his son what they want to do next. (They just said no to a possible movie about the LA Riots)

If we keep looking at black movies and black TV like it should be a separate thing, then they'll do it too.

:salute: I been preaching the same shyt since high school

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
And to add on, the responsibility falls to the creators.

Lee Daniels just put on a Fiesta de fukkery called Empire that was huge, and he's got Fox in the palm of his hand, and what does he do with the shot?

Follow up with more fukkery trying to do a pilot about an up and coming r'n'b group like Destiny's Child trying to make it in the biz.

Fox is basically giving him a freebie and that's what he does? I mean I don't wanna watch some kumbaya uplifting shyt, but really? Empire 2: Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves...

Fox: Here, you did us a favor and gave us a hit, what do you wanna do?

Daniels: :jbhmm: More fukkery?

Fox: :yeshrug: A'ight, nikka, it's yo' world...

:snoop:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
And to add on, the responsibility falls to the creators.

Lee Daniels just put on a Fiesta de fukkery called Empire that was huge, and he's got Fox in the palm of his hand, and what does he do with the shot?

Follow up with more fukkery trying to do a pilot about a up and coming r'n'b group like Destiny's Child trying to make it in the biz.

Fox is basically giving him a freebie and that's what he does? I mean I don't wanna watch some kumbaya uplifting shyt, but really? Empire 2: Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves...

Fox: Here, you did us a favor and gave us a hit, what do you wanna do?

Daniels: :jbhmm: More fukkery?

Fox: :yeshrug: A'ight, nikka, it's yo' world...

:snoop:

Exactly. Shonda Rhimes got the keys to the kingdom and chose to tell stories she wants to tell, specifically those about strong women or strong black women calling the shots. He gets the keys to the kingdom and wants to continue the fukkery. I'm not even saying there's no place for the fukkery because Empire is popping and that thread was, at times, the highlight of my week, but when you get your foot in the door, you get the chance to do something different. They ask YOU what do YOU want to do and since you've already proven you know how to make money for them, they're going to say yes to whatever you want because you got the power

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. Shonda Rhimes got the keys to the kingdom and chose to tell stories she wants to tell, specifically those about strong women or strong black women calling the shots. He gets the keys to the kingdom and wants to continue the fukkery. I'm not even saying there's no place for the fukkery because Empire is popping and that thread was, at times, the highlight of my week, but when you get your foot in the door, you get the chance to do something different. They ask YOU what do YOU want to do and since you've already proven you know how to make money for them, they're going to say yes to whatever you want because you got the power

Where is our Game of Thrones. :mjcry: