Justin Bieber Says Fukk an LLC, Closes in on $200million deal to sell his ENTIRE music catalog

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
I think streaming and licensing costs are going to go up. Media; music is the cheapest it's ever been. That model isn't sustainable. The industry for the last 10+ years was just in the reactionary and technological development period of the downfall of physical media. It's going to go up. We see this already with video streaming; Netflix couldn't be $8 forever and HBOMAX is cutting their own programming. It's going to bleed into other industries eventually.

Just think about it; you have access to most of modern recorded music anytime for the price of what a single CD was 20 years ago. That model wasn't sustainable.

Personally, I hate this subscription society we're slowly gravitating towards. I haven't gotten rid of my CD collection because of it.

Musicians and especially rappers are making more money than they ever have

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
From the music? Or touring/merchandise? Show me and I'll recant my statement.

Both.

A lot of younger rappers are owning their masters and publishing. You have people like xxx/juice dying with millions liquid, houses and cars fully paid for.

Then also you have licensing, tours, merch, commercials/advertising.

You have more musicians over $100 million than ever before and a surprising amount hitting $250-500+ plus and on Forbes list of highest earning entertainers.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
For him, this is a good deal. He wasn’t going to have the same impact, or legacy of hits like Michael Jackson, Prince, Sting, etc. How many hits does he have that people are constantly asking for, or playing in stores, commercials, etc?

:manny:

How many memorable videos does he have? He’s only a household name because young girls went crazy. His music wasn’t really slapping like that. Look at someone like Timberlake. He went solo, and had multiple hits DJs play at clubs, and are played in retail stores, and on the radio. Cry Me A River, Sexy Back, Can’t Stop The Feeling.
that "sorry" song is prolly the only one. that and despacito

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
It’s better to cash out when you’re hot. You don’t know how much it will be worth in 10 or 20 years.
Eh unless he gets exposed on sum scandalous shyt he’s music was gonna only rise value imo

His first 3 songs on Purpose alone is worth 200ms if u ask me

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Where are they getting played at? Who's anywhere asking for Skrillex to be played? Even Diplo is a stretch with Jamie xx exists
:heh:
The question is where aren’t they gettin played? These songs are still gettin radio spin, if u go to bars, malls, sporting events they play shyt like this between timeouts etc.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Both.

A lot of younger rappers are owning their masters and publishing. You have people like xxx/juice dying with millions liquid, houses and cars fully paid for.

Then also you have licensing, tours, merch, commercials/advertising.

You have more musicians over $100 million than ever before and a surprising amount hitting $250-500+ plus and on Forbes list of highest earning entertainers.

I've seen few artists make money from streaming unless all the articles and published rates were straight up capping.

Let's take an artist with an above average audience:

The services don't pay..."right now". And they can't afford to hold out to when they do, because they might not be popping in the 2-10 years when that price model changes. Private Equity can.

When Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan is selling their music, that should tell you...Streaming; the primary way to reach listeners now...isn't paying what it should.

The model has changed. Music is basically commercials for the artists brand. That's why touring and merchandise cakes them up. NOT the music by itself.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
beiber doesnt fully own his catalog...

he's just selling his credits and publishing points...

probably a solid deal tbh... he can still make new music and have a whole new catalog over the next 10 years
I think its foolish and short sided.

Obviously that multi-billion dollar corporation that is buying those rights intends to flip his catalog like bricks from mexico. They arent in the business of taking losses. Watch warner bros or sony publishing make 750mil from this decision. While the remainder of bieber's career makes only 50mil for him. :francis: