Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Yall I won't spam the Booth threads with this link

But if you're into diving deep into concept albums like this, check my thread out

This is the last post I wrote in it. It's in the SPOILER below

I came to this realization after sitting with this album for 7 years. My favorite album of all time
:wow:

Imma keep this short as I can. Because this shyt is deep

TPAB is an allegory, novel, and a dream all at the same time

In the album booklet, it's revealed the subtitle to TPAB is: a blank letter by Kendrick Lamar

This album serves generally as a letter to 2Pac. All of what happens is in his head

"Pac: its spirits. We aint even rapping. We just lettin our dead homies tell stories for us

Kendrick: DAMN."

Mortal Man wraps it up perfectly

2Pac's butterfly was pimped. He fell victim to the lifestyle Kendrick wanted in the 1st verse of Wesley's Theory. Suge pimped it. The media pimped it

THIS shyt IS DEEP BREHS

But the wisdom Pac gave in the last songs interview is what makes him one of the greatest black figures of all time

Even when your butterfly gets pimped, your legacy lives on

"Even though the caterpillar and butterfly are completely different, they are one in the same"

Pac couldn't give his perspective on Kendricks last monologue. The conclusion he comes to. Pac died before he got his perspective on it. He didn't live long enough to get to 30 years old. Not even to 26 to give Kendrick the game he was asking for

This is exactly what America wanted to happen to Kendrick (in the context of this album)

Kendrick has been looking for answers ever since. I think he realized on his Mr. Morale record that the only answer that matters is how he can be at peace internally

"I don't know. I'm no Mortal Man
Maybe I'm just another nikka"

What are the first words you hear on the album?

Is he less than human?? (A slave, a N----r)
Or is he MORE? A star. A butterfly

To Pimp A Butterfly was way more than funk, jazz, and "artsy" raps. It was one of the greatest concept albums in musical history. Not just hip hop. Music

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Listening to that Boris Gardner song in full while keeping this album's concept in mind

:wow: :wow:

People will say GKMC is better. People will say DAMN had more hits

But TPAB is what changed everything

Kendrick was viewed as a young, bright, elite storytelling artist after GKMC

TPAB started those conversations about him being one of the GOATs. And as far as his albums after, he hasn't fell short of those conversations yet. He continues to add to his legend with everything he drops

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
giphy.gif
This has been upped

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
Incredible album. I got this as my 2nd favorite, some days as my first. I'll never forget that Kunta Groove Sessions show, really took this album to even bigger heights for me. One of the best live shows, and the best live Kendrick shows I've seen out of the 3 I've been to