KYRIE FOR KRISTAPS? WHO SAYS NO?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Kristaps avgs 18/7 and avgs 2 blocks a game and hasn't even peaked defensively or offensively. It wouldn't make sense to trade him if you're NY and I don't know if Zingis necessarily makes the Cavs championship contenders without Kyrie.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
nikkas acting like porzingis the next larry bird or some shyt :mjlol:
But nikkas also acting like Kyrie on a ghost knicks squad with no certainty of future free agents is worth the knicks trading the best two way player they've had in forever who IS trending upward and would no doubt bring Knicks back into build around Melo/Kyrie to try to win in the next few years with the Cavs/Warriors/Spurs/Rockets still alive and kicking.

I'd rather not do that for an excellent point guard who isn't known for superb defense and has indicated he likes NY and could possibly sign in two years without us giving up KP.

What do the Knicks lose by not trading KP and having Kyrie possibly come in 2 years?

Also, why, TODAY, would the Knicks be THAT concerned about moving Noah's contract. To do what, exactly? Strike out on free agency again? Nah.

Let that albatross ride out, continue with the Hou/NYK talk and treat KP like blackjack rules...DON'T HIT ON 16/DON'T TRADE KP.....unless you're illegally counting cars/or receive a serious package of numerous young talent and lottery picks.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Even if you could play Porzingis at the 5, that would leave the Cavs with a massive hole at PG. And TT getting $20 million a year to sit on the bench.

Unless...how do teams defend this?

PG: Lebron
SG: JR/Shump
SF: Porzingis
PF: Love
Center: TT

:ohhh:

That would be like taking that weird positionless Nets team to the next level. :ehh:

And with D-Rose and Porzingis there, you might actually have enough offense to let Lebron sit on the bench instead of running the 2nd unit.

Yo the shytty hot takes is crazy out here

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yo the shytty hot takes is crazy out here

You gonna say something useful? Do you think there's a reason those particular five players wouldn't work together, or did you just misread my post?

You probably didn't even notice that I'm talking about OFFENSE. In that lineup defensive matchups would almost certainly be fluid and matchup-based, with TT or Lebron more likely to be guarding dangerous 3's while KP protected the rim.

Rambis has already said that Porzingis could see some time at the 3 this year. If he was playing with more positionless defensive players like TT and Lebron, that would become even more likely. And the three of them together would make it much easier to hide Love.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
You gonna say something useful? Do you think there's a reason those particular five players wouldn't work together, or did you just misread my post?

You probably didn't even notice that I'm talking about OFFENSE. In that lineup defensive matchups would almost certainly be fluid and matchup-based, with TT or Lebron more likely to be guarding dangerous 3's while KP protected the rim.

Rambis has already said that Porzingis could see some time at the 3 this year. If he was playing with more positionless defensive players like TT and Lebron, that would become even more likely. And the three of them together would make it much easier to hide Love.

KP already struggles defending stretch 4's, what dumbass would put him in a position defending 3's? TT guarding 3's for an extending period of time? And then you got Love out there as well, nah you posted some dumb shyt:gucci:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
KP already struggles defending stretch 4's, what dumbass would put him in a position defending 3's? TT guarding 3's for an extending period of time? And then you got Love out there as well, nah you posted some dumb shyt
I didn't say he'd be defending threes. :gucci:

Yep, figured you'd misread it. :snoop:

TT or Lebron would defend the threes most of the time. And of course he could do that - who the hell do you think TT has been guarding in the Finals the last three years? He spent a lot more time guarding guys who basically had your typical three game (Barnes, Iggy, Draymond, and Durant) than he spent guarding true big men. And he even did a decent job sticking on guards for stretches with all those switches.

And KP was only in his 2nd season guarding NBA talent last year. He's been improving on coverage rapidly, and shown he can definitely guard threes like Giannis (while allowing that no one can really "guard" Giannis when he's on).

Watch here as he defends smaller players quite similarly to how Lebron does - repeatedly picking them up on the perimeter, where his size makes a shot intimidating, then blocking them from behind when they get by him: He strips smaller players trying to get by him surprisingly often too.

A lineup with Porzingis-Love-TT-Lebron-Shump would be able to do some scary things on the defensive end. It hides Love much better than the lineups they were playing him in most of this year.

Last edited:

ikbm

Formerly ikillbabymamas
Daps
Reppin
Spread Love - The Player Way
I didn't say he'd be defending threes. :gucci:

Yep, figured you'd misread it. :snoop:

TT or Lebron would defend the threes most of the time. And of course he could do that - who the hell do you think TT has been guarding in the Finals the last three years? He spent a lot more time guarding guys who basically had your typical three game (Barnes, Iggy, Draymond, and Durant) than he spent guarding true big men. And he even did a decent job sticking on guards for stretches with all those switches.

And KP was only in his 2nd season guarding NBA talent last year. He's been improving on coverage rapidly, and shown he can definitely guard threes like Giannis (while allowing that no one can really "guard" Giannis when he's on).

Watch here as he defends smaller players quite similarly to how Lebron does - repeatedly picking them up on the perimeter, where his size makes a shot intimidating, then blocking them from behind when they get by him: He strips smaller players trying to get by him surprisingly often too.

A lineup with Porzingis-Love-TT-Lebron-Shump would be able to do some scary things on the defensive end. It hides Love much better than the lineups they were playing him in most of this year.

bruh no
you're not speaking from the perspective of seeing every knick game for the past two seasons
you're speaking from the perspective of seeing highlights of things he can physically do. not the norm
theres a reason why kristaps is among the leaders in fouls per game
as agile as he is for a 7 footer he still is a 7 footer...and as he fills out he'll be a center
he struggles guarding stretch 4s on a consistent basis...he cant close on them cause he has a penchant for defaulting to defend the rim cause he's 7'3
a simple drive and kick to kristaps man puts him at a disadvantage cause he's fast but doesnt have the speed to close out on a good 3 point shooter and the small forwards in this league are too athletic on average.
thats a terrible idea trying to "mask" love with kristaps.
kristaps would average 4 fouls before half time being that far out of position
tristan thompson big ass is banging with other bigs more often than not...and if theres a scoring wing on the other team lebron is NOT guarding him....unless he's forced too like the warriors.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I know is Kristaps has a lot to prove next season. He better be Anthony Davis or Towns.

Cause he's a unicorn now. But many bigs can shoot 3s in the league and all these new incoming F/C rookies and high schoolers are raised watching KD and they're all learning to dribble.

I don't see any players coming in the league with kyrie type skill set anytime soon though.

People seem to forget Kyrie won Cavs their title
last year

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I know is Kristaps has a lot to prove next season. He better be Anthony Davis or Towns.

Cause he's a unicorn now. But many bigs can shoot 3s in the league and all these new incoming F/C rookies and high schoolers are raised watching KD and they're all learning to dribble.
How many do so with elite rim protection:jbhmm:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
bruh no
you're not speaking from the perspective of seeing every knick game for the past two seasons
you're speaking from the perspective of seeing highlights of things he can physically do. not the norm
theres a reason why kristaps is among the leaders in fouls per game
as agile as he is for a 7 footer he still is a 7 footer...and as he fills out he'll be a center
he struggles guarding stretch 4s on a consistent basis...he cant close on them cause he has a penchant for defaulting to defend the rim cause he's 7'3
a simple drive and kick to kristaps man puts him at a disadvantage cause he's fast but doesnt have the speed to close out on a good 3 point shooter and the small forwards in this league are too athletic on average.
thats a terrible idea trying to "mask" love with kristaps.
kristaps would average 4 fouls before half time being that far out of position
tristan thompson big ass is banging with other bigs more often than not...and if theres a scoring wing on the other team lebron is NOT guarding him....unless he's forced too like the warriors.

Almost everything in your entire post still based on the fact that you misread my post and still think I have Porzingis at the 3 defensively, when I clearly said already that he'd spend most of his time at the 5 defensively.

His presence would mask Love because Porzingis is a better rim protector than anyone else the Cavs have had there, and because Kyrie being gone removes the Cavs' largest defensive issue, which was teams targeting Kyrie/Love in the pick-and-roll.

And again, TT guarded SF-skill set players for most of the game in EVERY game of EVERY finals in the last three years. I'm still waiting for you to tell me who you think he was guarding in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

When there was a scoring 3 on the opposing team this last year, who do you think usually guarded him, and who was Lebron guarding? Give your examples.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
If the Knicks build a young squad through the draft, let KP become a RFA when Melo comes off the books they would have the money to go after Kyrie as a FA.

:yeshrug:

They could even trade Melo (to help the tank) as long as they make sure to only take back contracts as long as his

ikbm

Formerly ikillbabymamas
Daps
Reppin
Spread Love - The Player Way
Almost everything in your entire post still based on the fact that you misread my post and still think I have Porzingis at the 3 defensively, when I clearly said already that he'd spend most of his time at the 5 defensively.

His presence would mask Love because Porzingis is a better rim protector than anyone else the Cavs have had there, and because Kyrie being gone removes the Cavs' largest defensive issue, which was teams targeting Kyrie/Love in the pick-and-roll.

And again, TT guarded SF-skill set players for most of the game in EVERY game of EVERY finals in the last three years. I'm still waiting for you to tell me who you think he was guarding in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

When there was a scoring 3 on the opposing team this last year, who do you think usually guarded him, and who was Lebron guarding? Give your examples.
what wings 2/3s has lebron been forced to guard besides kevin durant this year?
he wasnt even guarding paul george most of the time even tho that was his matchup this playoffs
having tristan thompsons guard 3s takes away from his biggest strength which is rebounding. (see the finals when he was getting a miniscule amount of boards the first few games)
him being further away from the rim as a big isnt a plus...i dont care how good he is covering 3s...he's still a big.
as versatile as love, kristaps, or tristan is....putting all of them in the same line up just wouldnt work in my opinion....not against elite teams.
having tristan switch off onto durant aint the same as harrison barnes

Last edited:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea

I don't see any players coming in the league with kyrie type skill set anytime soon though.

People seem to forget Kyrie won Cavs their title
last year
You have got it backwards. PG is the deepest position in the league. Stretch bigs who are also elite rim protectors are like rare Pokémon. You got one, you keep one. Especially when you have him in a damn rookie contract.

There is no negative to keeping Porzingis. If he flops then the team sucks and gets more lottery picks anyway. Spending to be mediocre is not the way you win in the NBA.