Lets discuss problems with the "resurrection" story

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook
Funny this, I find a lot of theists tend to have not read the Bible, and having been through two Catholic schools have found the teachers and priests tend to talk students through the same old passages and skip the majority of the book which show God in a more confusing or poorer light. A lot of atheists I know of seem to have been through the Bible more and find what you call "understanding" usually to be "mental gymnastics".

But then mine would be just be anecdotal evidence but I'm sure yours has statistics to back it up.
this is accurate. Theists are forced to read the same 5 verses over and over and not only that, told what to think about it. While non-believers are generally non-believers because they have a more broad knowledge of the book. Thats why in these discussions the atheist says "what about problem "A"?" and the theist says, "Thats not in the bible" then the atheist provides the verse and the theist changes the subject.

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Daps
Post a pic and act as if you made a point brehs

. A lot of atheists I know of seem to have been through the Bible more and find what you call "understanding" usually to be "mental gymnastics".

And yet these "atheists" do not refer to you now do they?

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Daps
I remember you.

Thats good. Because pretty soon, what I said will be affecting you in real life :shaq:

Oh and no "debate". I already knew you werent one of those atheists that has actually read the bible before coming to a supposed "understanding" of it

noon

Pro
Daps
Thats good. Because pretty soon, what I said will be affecting you in real life :shaq:

Oh and no "debate". I already knew you werent one of those atheists that has actually read the bible before coming to a supposed "understanding" of it

Everything you say is of course correct. Now back under the bridge with you troll.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
this is accurate. Theists are forced to read the same 5 verses over and over and not only that, told what to think about it. While non-believers are generally non-believers because they have a more broad knowledge of the book. Thats why in these discussions the atheist says "what about problem "A"?" and the theist says, "Thats not in the bible" then the atheist provides the verse and the theist changes the subject.
:zfg:

Last edited:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
There are supposed to be inconsistencies with eyewitness accounts.

What's fascinating about this is that skeptics (and believers) don't actually approach this like a police investigation.

It's reasonable that the Synoptics, along with John and Acts, are actually accurate representations from different perspectives.​

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
There are supposed to be inconsistencies with eyewitness accounts.

What's fascinating about this is that skeptics (and believers) don't actually approach this like a police investigation.

It's reasonable that the Synoptics, along with John and Acts, are actually accurate representations from different perspectives.​

There is reasonable doubt

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
VMR said:

All I'm saying is, based purely on the data, something very odd happened to Jesus. We know the tomb was empty and there was only one explanation offered by his enemies which was rebutted in Matthew:

Matthew 28 (KJV)

11 Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.
14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.

We know this testimony is early because of the following factors:​

1. None of the NT text describes the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem in 70 CE.
2. None of the NT text describes the 3-year siege prior to the destruction of the Temple.
3. Paul was executed in 64 CE in Rome, Peter followed in 65 CE. Neither death is mentioned in Luke nor Acts despite both Apostles playing prominent roles.
4. Luke said nothing about the death of James (the brother of Jesus) who was executed in Jerusalem in 62 CE. He was described in Acts 15 as the leader of the Jerusalem Church.
5. Luke was written before Acts as indicated by Acts' introduction which refers to 'The first account I composed,...'
6. Paul quoted Luke.
7. Paul echoed the claims of Gospel writers and his writings began circulating about 50 CE.
8. Galatians, written by Paul, describes his meetings with James and Peter 14 years prior to it's writing. Approximately 40-45 CE.
9. Luke quoted Mark (and Matthew) repeatedly.
10. Mark's report is primarily to gather/compile evidence, not reconstruct a timeline of events.

All these factors make it reasonable to believe that the Gospels are early eye-witness testimonies to the events in Jesus' immediate vicinity, well-known within a few years of his execution, and authoritative prior to Paul's 'conversion'.

Of course, this is all circumstantial evidence, but purely based on existing corroborative documents from various pagan, Jewish, Biblical and extra-Biblical sources.

Last edited: