Life/Career Crossroads

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Inspired from breh's thread about his situation.

I'm stuck at a life crossroad.

I've never had a stable, gainful position for more than a year. My job history is crazy. I will be candid as possible in the following.

About me:
I am late 20s
Single w/ preteen son
Have a degree in economics
$40k in student loans
Career interests: Law and government
I've been arrested but not convicted of leaving the scene of an accident and DV battery (PTI).
Currently, in Miami, FL.

I've been accepted into two law schools. Not highly-ranked (technically not ranked lol) St Thomas (Miami) and FAMU (Orlando).

I am also applied to be a correctional probation officer.

Pros:

St Thomas Law: Local law school, it's small and have an okay network for the local legal community. Got accepted.

FAMU Law: very affordable in-state tuition, Orlando has a modest cost of living and I like it in Central Florida. Got accepted. Improving bar passage rate.

Probation Officer: great state benefits, preference in lateral moves in state jobs, and stability.

Cons:
STU Law: Very expensive for its ranking. Low bar passage rate for its grads, less than appealing job prospects for grads. Added debt.

FAMU Law: No known solid network in south Florida. 29.5% of grads do not use their FAMU law degree, 2nd highest amongst law schools. Would be away from son. Increase debt.

Probation Officer: current uncertainty (applying stage), demanding job, low starting pay $33k and low ceiling $54k, tenuous 13-15 week training.

Life goals. I want wealth. I want to leave my son something behind, life insurance policy and some properties at the minimum. Be able to afford him the opportunities to be an entrepreneur and stay at home as long as he needs. I want to make money and help heal some wounds in my community (Liberty City and Carol City). I know I will have to supplement my incomes in either profession. I'm going to hustle as a "n..." Regardless.

I am leaning towards probation officer because I can start making some money, live real meager since I am single and save to invest in properties with my partners nem. Plus, in two years I can study to retake the LSAT and try to get a much higher score and go to law school part-time at FIU. I really don't want to leave South Florida. St Thomas doesn't offer a part-time curriculum. A flexible one but I doubt as flexible for a probation officer if I get it. I can be wrong and this is not the most optimal decision.

Let me know what you think and what you'd do.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Can we get a summary of yours.

Graduated from PVAMU with a BSME some years ago. Had some unfortunate circumstances happen and I'm underemployed and have to work some struggle jobs to make ends. The oil prices haven't helped much as that is the center of the industry. Thinking grad school or keep looking for employment(I have an interview in two weeks). Limited direction because I had to work in college and I could not co op or intern. I'm not gonna give up but I need direction.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Graduated from PVAMU with a BSME some years ago. Had some unfortunate circumstances happen and I'm underemployed and have to work some struggle jobs to make ends. The oil prices haven't helped much as that is the center of the industry. Thinking grad school or keep looking for employment(I have an interview in two weeks). Limited direction because I had to work in college and I could not co op or intern. I'm not gonna give up but I need direction.
Yeah. I'll see what's going on soon. I'll call the correctional people again and ask how soon they look into applicants because if I don't get that I'll go into law school.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yeah. I'll see what's going on soon. I'll call the correctional people again and ask how soon they look into applicants because if I don't get that I'll go into law school.

Just stay busy no matter what. I took too much time off and I'm doing all I can to tie up the loose ends.

miranda

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Probation officer, budget, invest, reapply to law school. Sounds like a good plan.

Exactly what kind of total debt would you be adding going to the schools you were already accepted to? 20k? 50k? 80k?

And what are the current probable starting salaries coming out of those schools since they are low ranked?

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Probation officer, budget, invest, reapply to law school. Sounds like a good plan.

Exactly what kind of total debt would you be adding going to the schools you were already accepted to? 20k? 50k? 80k?

And what are the current probable starting salaries coming out of those schools since they are low ranked?
FAMU around an add'l $100k and St Thomas Law like $180k.

Unknown on the starting salaries but probably as much as a state job.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Another plus on getting with the state, they'll pay for my further education if I get into a state school.

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
Im going to be honest breh, IDK how you gonna make it in SoFlo with 30-40k a year salary, It might be a hard decision, but might want to move to GA or Texas

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Im going to be honest breh, IDK how you gonna make it in SoFlo with 30-40k a year salary, It might be a hard decision, but might want to move to GA or Texas
It's not hard but most households live on less than that. It's trying to live like a star that fukks ppl up. I'm real modest.