Lifting Heavy for Women - How-To and Starting Weights?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I want to incorporate more strength training in my weekly workouts. I already do free-weights circuit training 2-3 times per week - but my highest free-weight pair is 10lbs.

I want to start lifting heavy weights to build more lean muscle and continue to tone.

I am interested in doing either StrongLifts (5x5), Starting Strength or the Strong Curves program. I am leaning toward Strong Lifts (5x5).

StrongLifts 5×5 is the simplest, most effective workout to build muscle, gain strength and get ripped. Thousands of people worldwide have used it to change their bodies and lives. It’s the most popular strength and muscle building program on the internet because it’s simple and works.

On StrongLifts 5×5 you workout three times a week. Each workout you do three barbell exercises for sets of five reps. The five exercises you’ll do on StrongLifts 5×5 are the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. Together they work your whole body.

The goal on StrongLifts 5×5 is to increase the weight. You start light, lift with proper form, and add 2,5kg/5lb each workout. This progressive increase in weight triggers your body to get stronger and build muscle. It’s the simplest and most effective way to get results.​

StrongLifts 5×5 is most effective for beginners new to lifting weights. This is the definitive guide to the StrongLifts 5×5 workout program.

Read more StrongLifts 5×5 Workout Program for Beginners | StrongLifts

My question is what weight amount do I start at? I don't want to start too light and waste my time.

What would be a good stating weight for 5x5 training for someone 5'2 125lbs -130lbs? I really don't want to lose much weight - maybe 5-8lbs - but weight loss isn't really my goal.

My goals is to lower BF percentage, gain muscle, tone and just overall look even better naked.

Sadly, vanity reasons.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Muscle is muscle, men and women build it in the same way. I'd stay away from any program geared towards women (though my personal recommendation for women is to skew their training volume towards the lower body over the upper).

I think a good starting weight for compounds is the good old 45lb barbell. Start with that and maybe add 5lb a week until you stall. Then you will need to start thinking about progression schemes and programming.

I would not worry about losing weight right now. Going to be very difficult to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Plus as you build muscle, even as you gain weight, as long as you don't gain too much weight you will get a little leaner, at least numerically. You will have plenty of time to cut down later on.

BTW you might as well write off this summer. I mean if you do things right (don't gain more than ~1-2lb/month) you shouldn't get fat, but you're definitely not going to get visibly leaner. You will gain more muscle but that's about it.

Good luck, you are in a good place for advice :salute:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Muscle is muscle, men and women build it in the same way. I'd stay away from any program geared towards women (though my personal recommendation for women is to skew their training volume towards the lower body over the upper).

I think a good starting weight for compounds is the good old 45lb barbell. Start with that and maybe add 5lb a week until you stall. Then you will need to start thinking about progression schemes and programming.

I would not worry about losing weight right now. Going to be very difficult to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Plus as you build muscle, even as you gain weight, as long as you don't gain too much weight you will get a little leaner, at least numerically. You will have plenty of time to cut down later on.

BTW you might as well write off this summer. I mean if you do things right (don't gain more than ~1-2lb/month) you shouldn't get fat, but you're definitely not going to get visibly leaner. You will gain more muscle but that's about it.

Good luck, you are in a good place for advice :salute:

Thanks! Great advice. I def think 45lbs is doable - that means just the bar right? Then add weights as I go correct?

Also, am I going to gain weight? I am 126lbs now - but I go back and forth between 123lbs-130lbs throughout the year. My happy weight is 125lbs.

Anything over 130lbs - I look :flabbynsick:.

So, it's a possibility by lifting heavier and if I don't stick to eating right - I can gain and look bulky?

If so, should I drop 5-10lbs before I start lifting heavy? I usually look too thin for some reason at 120lbs and lower. People start asking if i'm sick...

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Post a pic

What is your current body fat cuz at 5'2, 125-130, you can't have that much

I have enough.

It's not really about body-fat percentage loss - it's toning and looking really good naked. I do more cardio than strength training - and I think heavy lifting can achieve that for me.

I haven't done a body fat test in almost a 1 1/2 now - I need to do one. The last one I did I know it was around 28-29% which I was not too happy about.

Don't wanna post a pic - but as of right now, I would be around 25% based off the image below.

128fae04f9b38e27bf423188fac6c58e.jpg

tumblr_inline_mljgyawCdt1qz4rgp.jpg

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Thanks! Great advice. I def think 45lbs is doable - that means just the bar right? Then add weights as I go correct?

Also, am going to gain weight? I am 126lbs now - but I go back and forth between 123lbs-130lbs throughout the year. My happy weight is 125lbs.

Anything over 130lbs - I look :flabbynsick:.

So, it's a possibility by lifting heavier and if I don't stick to eating right - I can gain and look bulky?

If so, should I drop 5-10lbs before I start lifting heavy? I usually look too thin for some reason at 120lbs and lower. People start asking if i'm sick...
Don't worry about how you look for now. Most natural weight lifters are somewhat :flabbynsick: for most of the year. At least compared to peak form. I can't say whether or not you will look bulky, that's going to depend on how you hold fat and how well you control your weight.

But muscle has weight, so you are going to get heavier over time if you plan to build it and get stronger. I would not stay married to that 130 as an ideal weight. For now I would just focus on gaining at least 1 and no more than 2lb a month, learning the lifts, and getting stronger. You can worry about getting lean and looking good next year. You have to take the time to build the foundation.

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps
Most women are not going to be able to start off benching and overhead pressing a 45# barbell. I'd say look on craigslist and purchase some used dumbbells. You can get powerblocks new for $300 so that's a good starting point. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about losing weight as a noob. If you stay consistent with the program. You should be roughly the same weight in the few months but you will be stronger and have a lower BF. You will look better.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Don't worry about how you look for now. Most natural weight lifters are somewhat :flabbynsick: for most of the year. At least compared to peak form. I can't say whether or not you will look bulky, that's going to depend on how you hold fat and how well you control your weight.

But muscle has weight, so you are going to get heavier over time if you plan to build it and get stronger. I would not stay married to that 130 as an ideal weight. For now I would just focus on gaining at least 1 and no more than 2lb a month, learning the lifts, and getting stronger. You can worry about getting lean and looking good next year. You have to take the time to build the foundation.

I know you are giving me the right advice - BUT.....

Now, I'm worried. I don't hold weight well - weight gain is not a good look on me.

I want to gain lean muscle - but I also want to look great this summer. I don't want to look like I been eating cheese sandwiches.

If lifting will keep me looking the same but a higher weight on scale I think I can deal with that.

Maybe I need to hold off till this coming winter.

Should I cut/lose some weight to offset the gain I will have from lifting?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Most women are not going to be able to start off benching and overhead pressing a 45# barbell. I'd say look on craigslist and purchase some used dumbbells. You can get powerblocks new for $300 so that's a good starting point. Also, you shouldn't have to worry about losing weight as a noob. If you stay consistent with the program. You should be roughly the same weight in the few months but you will be stronger and have a lower BF. You will look better.

I will try it at the gym and see if I can.

Weight loss isn't really my issue - it's just that I don't want to gain either.

Can I do the StrongLifts program with dumbbells? Or should I invest in a barbell set?

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps
Oh yea if you are at the gym then they should have everything you need. Now I'm not familiar with StrongLifts but I do know that all 5 of those lifts that you listed can be done with dumbbells. I prefer dumbbells for most of my lifts due to muscle isolation and imbalance. For example, if you are benching a barbell, your right arm might compensate for the left if your left isn't strong enough, with dumbbells, you are forced to use each muscle separately so you can see where you are weak. You can google the pro's and con's of each.

I started my wife out on a program back in January. She started at 5'4 133 pounds. I took the scale out the house so she couldn't weigh herself. After 1 month of training 3x per week (a combination of barbell and dumbbell training), she was noticeably stronger on all lifts. Also, her bras were too big and her pants were too big. It was obvious that she lost some weight. We weighed her at the end of February and on the scale, she only lost 1 pound! She was 132. She did look noticeably better and that was after only 1 month (clean eating and exercise). I made sure that I added a little weight each workout. Anyway, the point is that you will make beginner gains since you are just starting out so you shouldn't have to worry what the scale says. If you stick to the program, you should lower your body fat and look better (higher muscle mass + no change in body fat = decreased body fat percentage). After a few months on the program, you can start tweak your meals/workouts once you notice that your lifts are starting to taper out. Also, none of it will matter if you eat shytty. Try to drink green smoothies 1-2 times per day, drink alcohol no more than once per week, and cut down on the sugar.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Oh yea if you are at the gym then they should have everything you need. Now I'm not familiar with StrongLifts but I do know that all 5 of those lifts that you listed can be done with dumbbells. I prefer dumbbells for most of my lifts due to muscle isolation and imbalance. For example, if you are benching a barbell, your right arm might compensate for the left if your left isn't strong enough, with dumbbells, you are forced to use each muscle separately so you can see where you are weak. You can google the pro's and con's of each.

I started my wife out on a program back in January. She started at 5'4 133 pounds. I took the scale out the house so she couldn't weigh herself. After 1 month of training 3x per week (a combination of barbell and dumbbell training), she was noticeably stronger on all lifts. Also, her bras were too big and her pants were too big. It was obvious that she lost some weight. We weighed her at the end of February and on the scale, she only lost 1 pound! She was 132. She did look noticeably better and that was after only 1 month (clean eating and exercise). I made sure that I added a little weight each workout. Anyway, the point is that you will make beginner gains since you are just starting out so you shouldn't have to worry what the scale says. If you stick to the program, you should lower your body fat and look better (higher muscle mass + no change in body fat = decreased body fat percentage). After a few months on the program, you can start tweak your meals/workouts once you notice that your lifts are starting to taper out. Also, none of it will matter if you eat shytty. Try to drink green smoothies 1-2 times per day, drink alcohol no more than once per week, and cut down on the sugar.

This sounds so great. I am motivated by your wife's results! That is what I want - to stay around the same weight, but build muscle and lean out more.

I'm Vegan - and I don't drink - but I do have a bad sweet tooth. I am working on it though - and I will even more if I start to lift heavy.

Do you mind sharing the program you have your wife on - or something similar to it?

And I really like the advice on using dumbbells - cause my left arm is weaker than my right. I can tell that when I lift my 10lbs weights - as its harder to do more reps on my left.

Another question on Squats - I hate them with a passion. They really hurt and I get sore from doing them. Any tips?

My parents have a Soloflex Rockit - they never really used and is in great condition. Could I use that for Squat work? Or would the traditional way be the most beneficial for my goals?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I know you are giving me the right advice - BUT.....

Now, I'm worried. I don't hold weight well - weight gain is not a good look on me.

I want to gain lean muscle - but I also want to look great this summer. I don't want to look like I been eating cheese sandwiches.

If lifting will keep me looking the same but a higher weight on scale I think I can deal with that.

Maybe I need to hold off till this coming winter.

Should I cut/lose some weight to offset the gain I will have from lifting?
gaining muscle and gaining fate are totally different, if you put on 4lbs of muscle by the summer, even at the same BF, you're not going to look worse. losing weight and adding no muscle (or not preserving your lean mass) just makes you a smaller version of the body you seem to not like.

it's hard to tell you what to do without pics, if you have little to no muscle, you might need to add some before dieting for the body you want, if you have a good base, then just lift 3x per week and eat at a deficit, you might gain a little muscle or you might just preserve what you have, but you'll shed fat and look leaner.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This sounds so great. I am motivated by your wife's results! That is what I want - to stay around the same weight, but build muscle and lean out more.

I'm Vegan - and I don't drink - but I do have a bad sweet tooth. I am working on it though - and I will even more if I start to lift heavy.

Do you mind sharing the program you have your wife on - or something similar to it?

And I really like the advice on using dumbbells - cause my left arm is weaker than my right. I can tell that when I lift my 10lbs weights - as its harder to do more reps on my left.

Another question on Squats - I hate them with a passion. They really hurt and I get sore from doing them. Any tips?

My parents have a Soloflex Rockit - they never really used and is in great condition. Could I use that for Squat work? Or would the traditional way be the most beneficial for my goals?

correct your form, do them unweighted until you get the form right. shoulder width stance, feet aligned, push your butt back like you're going to sit, chest up abs in, weight in your heels, squeeze up. squats hurt, you'll be sore, deal with it. if you're having abnormal pain (shooting pains, etc.) then you have to worry, but if they're simply making you "uncomfortable" and "they're hard" - welcome to lifting.

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps

Congrats on the diet since that's the hardest part for most people. I created the program I put my wife on but it would look something like this:

10 minute warm up
kettlebell swings
3 (30 second) reps of heavy bag work
barbell squats
dumbbell deadlift
Hammer curls
Plank to failure
situps

We might do this on a Monday then I'd switch up the muscle groups on the next workout. Also, I wouldn't bother with that machine you listed. That looks more like a leg press. Just start squatting your body weight so you can perfect your form. You can do dumbbell squats to start off and then move on to the barbell when you are stronger. My wife complaints about the squats and the kettlebell swings but I told her it's not supposed to be easy or comfortable. If it was easy then everyone would be walking around with a 6 pack.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
gaining muscle and gaining fate are totally different, if you put on 4lbs of muscle by the summer, even at the same BF, you're not going to look worse. losing weight and adding no muscle (or not preserving your lean mass) just makes you a smaller version of the body you seem to not like.

it's hard to tell you what to do without pics, if you have little to no muscle, you might need to add some before dieting for the body you want, if you have a good base, then just lift 3x per week and eat at a deficit, you might gain a little muscle or you might just preserve what you have, but you'll shed fat and look leaner.

Got it.

I don't really have any shareable pictures that show skin/body. But can you tell here?

I am around 128lbs here- and I think I looked kinda fat. I am smaller in my upper body now - I was a 36D here - I have went down a bra size since.

Image removed. :smile:

Last edited: