Like it or not, Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole are the Rakim and BDK/Nas and Jay-Z of this era

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Combination of good lyricism. "purist" credentials, and mainstream visibility/popularity.

When you throw in the visibility/popularity factor into the mix, the level drops significantly. When it comes to mainstream, probably. When it comes to hiphop as a whole? Not so much. But it says alot about the state of mainstream hiphop when these two are at the top with virtually no competition. But I'm gonna need to see them do more to even take a sniff at Nas and Jay.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Compared to what? The 80's and 90's, yeah. But Cole and Kendrick make better music than most of the G-Unit/Dipset/Lil Jon/Ja Rule/Game/Jeezy, etc. bullshyt that was dominating most of the last 10+ years.

True. I do agree.

I just don't think in 20 years time we will still celebrate and listen to Good Kid Madd City or Take Care like we have done with Illmatic or Paid in full

I think a lot has to do with the game being much more saturated: from reality shows with rappers ex-groupies, 10000000000 mixtapes dropping every week, most of which are terrible, to ex-camera men joining forces with one of hip-hops biggest moguls.

Back in the day people would call you out if you were wack or your street cred was bollocks. Now we have an ex-CO pretending he never did the job and he's some big time pusher...

shyt is WWE. I can't say I have much love for this generation at all besides a few MCs such as Blu, Action Bronson and some others

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
People criminally underrate J.Cole. Criminally. Lyricism wise, he's as good as anyone. His music is lacking because he tries to do production by himself, and he isn't that good at it. Drake has 40, Boi 1nda and just about any producers he wants at his fingertips. Kendrick has Dre. If Cole can up his production game, he has the lyrical talent to be an ATG, in my opinion.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Lupe should have been right there in the conversation :to:

Felt him and Wayne should have carried that conversation of BDK/Rakim, Nas/Jay in the mid 2000s

Right now its a toss up between Cole, Kendrick and Drake...Drake is the most famous but doesnt fit the lineage of those other MCs, Cole still needs to get his content up but is getting there, Kendrick is the main guy.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
the comparison...

giphy.gif

oh and Cole is fukkin trash.
edit-trash may be a bit harsh on him..but average/adequate is better for him.

BronxFleeZ

We here man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gun Hill Forreal
People criminally underrate J.Cole. Criminally. Lyricism wise, he's as good as anyone. His music is lacking because he tries to do production by himself, and he isn't that good at it. Drake has 40, Boi 1nda and just about any producers he wants at his fingertips. Kendrick has Dre. If Cole can up his production game, he has the lyrical talent to be an ATG, in my opinion.

So true man. me and my dad was talking about this. im the biggest cole fan an his production gotta get up. born sinner was at least a step up in production but you know he could do better. hopefully this album will improve the sound he's looking for

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
So true man. me and my dad was talking about this. im the biggest cole fan an his production gotta get up. born sinner was at least a step up in production but you know he could do better. hopefully this album will improve the sound he's looking for

Yep. He wants to do production himself, but he just don't got that ear. Certain producers just have it. He's sort of like a poor man's Kanye right now. Does the shyt Ye can do but at a way lower level. I think he needs to really lock in this next album. Lock himself in a room and focus on production for a while. Either that or go out and get some producers. Don't get me wrong he has some gems production wise. Power Trip and God's Gift are beautiful. But he needs to take that next step as a producer, and he might not be able to supply that himself. Some of his 808s and his drums in general sound weak sometimes, like they aren't hitting hard enough.

BronxFleeZ

We here man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gun Hill Forreal
Yep. He wants to do production himself, but he just don't got that ear. Certain producers just have it. He's sort of like a poor man's Kanye right now. Does the shyt Ye can do but at a way lower level. I think he needs to really lock in this next album. Lock himself in a room and focus on production for a while. Either that or go out and get some producers. Don't get me wrong he has some gems production wise. Power Trip and God's Gift are beautiful. But he needs to take that next step as a producer, and he might not be able to supply that himself. Some of his 808s and his drums in general sound weak sometimes, like they aren't hitting hard enough.

true. but he has time. hopefully he gets that blessing soon :blessed: