Like it or not, Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole are the Rakim and BDK/Nas and Jay-Z of this era

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Yep. He wants to do production himself, but he just don't got that ear. Certain producers just have it. He's sort of like a poor man's Kanye right now. Does the shyt Ye can do but at a way lower level. I think he needs to really lock in this next album. Lock himself in a room and focus on production for a while. Either that or go out and get some producers. Don't get me wrong he has some gems production wise. Power Trip and God's Gift are beautiful. But he needs to take that next step as a producer, and he might not be able to supply that himself. Some of his 808s and his drums in general sound weak sometimes, like they aren't hitting hard enough.

Not having the right ear for production was also one of Nas's biggest criticisms. Cole might need to sample new sounds to liven his music up a bit. But I don't think he will get the wiggle room to experiment like that.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Not having the right ear for production was also one of Nas's biggest criticisms. Cole might need to sample new sounds to liven his music up a bit. But I don't think he will get the wiggle room to experiment like that.

I remember when I was a huge Drake stan back in 09. And he said some shyt about how He would Be Jay, and Cole would be Nas. And Cole responded with "No one knows what will happen, One day I could be Hov". And him and Nas are similar in a lot of ways. I think Cole is gonna peak in his 30s though. I think he has some good shyt to put out. He's just in the shadow of Drake right now. I see Drake fading in a few years though, starting with this album coming up.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
People criminally underrate J.Cole. Criminally. Lyricism wise, he's as good as anyone. His music is lacking because he tries to do production by himself, and he isn't that good at it. Drake has 40, Boi 1nda and just about any producers he wants at his fingertips. Kendrick has Dre. If Cole can up his production game, he has the lyrical talent to be an ATG, in my opinion.
I think his production is fine.

I don't think he compares to who I would consider at the GOAT tier at all, and he has his limitations and flaws. But he seems underrated on this site at least. I see a lot of posts talking about how he's garbage and boring and I don't get it...especially the "boring" swipe. I grew up listening to Tribe, De La, KMD, Brand Nubian, Gangstarr, Common Sense, etc., so rapping eloquently about real life situations without trying to be an exaggerated caricature of bravado or faux complex lyricism isn't boring to me.

I relate to a lot of shyt Cole raps about...stuff like trying to focus on making good grades growing up while dealing with all the other shyt going on around you, or fukking a chick raw even though you have a condom in your pocket. I don't know how you can't relate to his music if you're a young black man in America, unless your life experience is very limited. His music has substance and it sounds good.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Lupe should have been right there in the conversation :to:

Felt him and Wayne should have carried that conversation of BDK/Rakim, Nas/Jay in the mid 2000s

Right now its a toss up between Cole, Kendrick and Drake...Drake is the most famous but doesnt fit the lineage of those other MCs, Cole still needs to get his content up but is getting there, Kendrick is the main guy.

I want to cry everytime I think of where Lupe was right after The Cool. All he had to do was follow up in 08' or 09. nikka waited 4 years and then dropped Lasers :damn::sadbron:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
I think his production is fine.

I don't think he compares to who I would consider at the GOAT tier at all, and he has his limitations and flaws. But he seems underrated on this site at least. I see a lot of posts talking about how he's garbage and boring and I don't get it...especially the "boring" swipe. I grew up listening to Tribe, De La, KMD, Brand Nubian, Gangstarr, Common Sense, etc., so rapping eloquently about real life situations without trying to be an exaggerated caricature of bravado or faux complex lyricism isn't boring to me.

I relate to a lot of shyt Cole raps about...stuff like trying to focus on making good grades growing up while dealing with all the other shyt going on around you, or fukking a chick raw even though you have a condom in your pocket. I don't know how you can't relate to his music if you're a young black man in America, unless your life experience is very limited.

His music has substance and it sounds good.

I listen to Cole for the same reasons. And I didn't say his production was bad. I said it could be better. You can't sit here and tell me his production is on the same level as Kendrick's or Drake's. Worst Behavior is a TERRIBLE SONG, but the production saves it from being absolutely terrible. I'm only 20, so I did some growing to Cole. . But if he wants to take that next step. He has to up the production. And if he's not capable, he needs to swallow his pride and go get some producers

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I listen to Cole for the same reasons. And I didn't say his production was bad. I said it could be better. You can't sit here and tell me his production is on the same level as Kendrick's or Drake's. Worst Behavior is a TERRIBLE SONG, but the production saves it from being absolutely terrible. I'm only 20, so I did some growing to Cole. . But if he wants to take that next step. He has to up the production. And if he's not capable, he needs to swallow his pride and go get some producers
I don't think everyone needs mega-producers. His production complements his rhyme style to me. I don't know how it would sound if he got an all star production team. His albums are very cohesive, and that could be compromised. His first 2 albums are very good to me with him handling the production.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
If this is TRUE?..... :lupe:

Then this ERA is LAME AS FUKK....

No artist today can emulate the greatness of RAKIM ALLAH and BIG DADDY KANE

fukk outta here :camby:

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
I remember when I was a huge Drake stan back in 09. And he said some shyt about how He would Be Jay, and Cole would be Nas. And Cole responded with "No one knows what will happen, One day I could be Hov". And him and Nas are similar in a lot of ways. I think Cole is gonna peak in his 30s though. I think he has some good shyt to put out. He's just in the shadow of Drake right now. I see Drake fading in a few years though, starting with this album coming up.

At the moment, you can't really argue with Drakes statement right now because for the most part it's come to pass. But I wouldn't be surprised if both of them peak in their early 30's given the fickleness of the mainstream landscape at the moment. And because there is pressure to keep putting out music to keep your name relevant, it water's down the quality and starts to become monotonous. If only artists were given enough license to take their time in between albums to experience life and experiment with new sounds, then we could possibly have fresher lyrics and not recycled topics themes. One artist that is renowned for doing this is Maxwell. Dude drops a classic album and waits few years to make another one to get more inspiration for new topics, and he has nothing but classics in his stable. Unfortunately the game nowadays is about stockpiling money moreso than it is about growth.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get the Kendrick/Nas/Rakim comparison sort of.

But the Cole/Jay/BDK comparison? I don't really see it...Jay and BDK were the braggodocio, swagged out rappers with a bunch of flows. J Cole isn't that at all. Not saying that his music sucks, because I like Cole. Just saying that I don't really see the parallels.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I get the Kendrick/Nas/Rakim comparison sort of.

But the Cole/Jay/BDK comparison? I don't really see it...Jay and BDK were the braggodocio, swagged out rappers with a bunch of flows. J Cole isn't that at all. Not saying that his music sucks, because I like Cole. Just saying that I don't really see the parallels.
I'm not comparing their content or quality. I'm just saying Cole is one of the two most prominent standout lyricists with appeal and hip-hop bonafides of this era. That's the parallel.

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
I'm not comparing their content or quality. I'm just saying Cole is one of the two most prominent standout lyricists with appeal and hip-hop bonafides of this era. That's the parallel.

Wale is a better lyricist than j.cole actually. Wale just cant put together material like Cole could. Wale can't avoid those fillers

Last edited: