List of African Empires that ended only 100 years ago

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Poiter's quote

"A large portion of those empires were only empires due to the slave trade bro"

My reply to Poiter was that he said Slavery was their only source and commodity which were the ONLY reason these African empires were still standing. I never denied that they never participated in slave labor/slave trade, but these Africans empires were not monolithic in their business practices (AKA like Detroit and the Automobile)
Which is a very ignorant statement, which in your quotes already highlights they participated in other types of businesses and trade

I'm not sure you're reading your own quotes :jbhmm:

I think you're misinterpreting @Poitier's post. He never said that the sole export of those kingdoms were slaves. Rather, he was arguing that state-formation in pre-colonial Africa for many states was based upon the slave trade. That's certainly the case for a kingdom like Dahomey or Warri.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Let's parse @Poitier sentence @UpAndComing

"A large portion of those empires were only empires due to the slave trade bro"

^ Did that sentence argue that African empires only commodity was slaves. Nope.

Rather he did say that "A large portion of those empires were only empires due to the slave trade" - meaning that empires owe their existence to the slave trade. Meaning that state-formation relied upon the slave trade.

He did not argue that those states developed mono-economies. Rather, state-formation/empire building was based upon the slave trade.

:francis:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Kaabu Empire (1537–1867)

KUUBU1.jpg

:wow: