Low key, anybody else starting to feel like a lot of their countrymen are...

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Social media was a major part of it of dumbing down people, but the trick was they feel more informed. Most people I know, and I run in some wide circles from very affluent to very low, don't know much about anything, outside their personal lives. it gets slightly better the further up the socioeconomic scale you go, sadly, on both counts.
Americans are dumb because dumb employees make cheap employees. Indebted, dumb employees is the promise land for hoarders of capital.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The average person is uninformed. I feel smarter than about 70% of the people I come into contact with and I feel really stupid some days so.......yea. No Dunning-Kruger effect either. Most people would struggle naming more than 10 countries in Africa or the three branches of government and what they did or who the last four chairmen of the federal reserve were or the dates America was founded, the American Revolution, the Civil War, Civil Rights Movement or both World Wars. Not saying you have to know irrelevant arbitrary facts like this but there’s just stuff you should know as a grown adult.
Albert Einstein wouldn't even bother memorizing his phone number. He deemed it trivial information he can look up. The Fed Chair stuff definitely fits that category IMO.

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How do charter schools, make traditional schools worse? :dwillhuh:
Why do you still ask these basic, insincere questions? It’s very strange. The debate surrounding charter schools isn’t new so I don’t get why you wouldn’t at least google it first to get a basic understanding (I know you’re just trolling but yeesh).
We want people to be comfortable even if they don't have an education... not sure how we expect to fair against countries and students from countries where getting an education is the difference between eating and starving.
How does that explain the fact that European and Scandinavian countries routinely perform better than us in education too? Their standard of living and social safety nets are much higher than ours so that comparison doesn’t make sense.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
How does that explain the fact that European and Scandinavian countries routinely perform better than us in education too? Their standard of living and social safety nets are much higher than ours so that comparison doesn’t make sense.
Culture, is(in my opinion) the biggest factor in the difference we see between education in all first world countries
Finland has a society that still values education greatly. The countries I was commenting on before have a societies where education is seen as the difference between poverty and comfort.

In my opinion, we do not value education like we should... and taking policies from nations with a different culture and a different sets of values, and slapping them on Americans is something I believe we should be cautious about.