LUPE FIASCO's CONTRACT ISSUES EXPLAINED (FINALLY with detail)

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
don't know his exact contract situation so i can't say. but assuming he has to release two other albums and the label refuses to release them, he could either get a lawyer to re-examine the contract and pray they can find some sort of loophole or, negotiate with another label so they can buy out his contract (although he'll probably end up in the same situation different label), or just wait out whatever time he has to wait for them to release the albums. seems like he signed a very shytty contract though if there is no out and he can't release albums. doesn't have many options at this point...

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
Based on what tho? Sure Cudi sold 139K but his sales fell off a cliff after that. No buzz at all.... what continues to make him a made man at the label?

Rob Stephenson loves Cudi... only reason this last joint aint do so well... is cuz they didnt invest anything into it. Cudi did all that himself and was gonna release it for free regardless. They pulled the trigger on a digital release cuz that what HE wanted. That alone tells u he does what he wants up there.

The album did well for a digital only release and they didnt have much to recoup because any digital release typically just get's a digital marketing budget which will prolly top out at around 8k, maybe for someone of Cudi's level 12k. That nikka get's major respect in the Uni building. He's the only urban act on Republic. Why wouldnt he?

How i know is know mutual people with Cudi, his boy Zulee is my guy and a few other people. I used to be real heavy in the Downtown scene back in 07, 08, 09... (Also how i know that SZA chick is a smut lmao)) but yeah he's doing well. Anytime you see a nikka with backdrops, and spacesuits and shyt, he's making his label money. They PAY for all that, they not gonna pay for all that if they not in good standing/ that artist aint a priority of theirs.

maxresdefault.jpg

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Rob Stephenson loves Cudi... only reason this last joint aint do so well... is cuz they didnt invest anything into it. Cudi did all that himself and was gonna release it for free regardless. They pulled the trigger on a digital release cuz that what HE wanted. That alone tells u he does what he wants up there.

The album did well for a digital only release and they didnt have much to recoup because any digital release typically just get's a digital marketing budget which will prolly top out at around 8k, maybe for someone of Cudi's level 12k. That nikka get's major respect in the Uni building. He's the only urban act on Republic. Why wouldnt he?

How i know is know mutual people with Cudi, his boy Zulee is my guy and a few other people. I used to be real heavy in the Downtown scene back in 07, 08, 09... (Also how i know that SZA chick is a smut lmao)) but yeah he's doing well. Anytime you see a nikka with backdrops, and spacesuits and shyt, he's making his label money. They PAY for all that, they not gonna pay for all that if they not in good standing/ that artist aint a priority of theirs.

maxresdefault.jpg

:feedme:more pls

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
An interesting thing is that Nuthing on you and Airplanes would've been two of the best songs on Lasers even with that bytch on the hook.
Words I never said and The Show Goes on were also two common favorites from the album, two very successful songs that allegedly were forced by Atlantic.

I mean I can't hate on the label if they are giving him good hit songs that are among the better songs on the album, that's only odd.
That Atlantic records are making better records than a master lyricist.
:what: His best work and highest sales occurred before the label got too involved breh.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
In its first week of release Indicud debuted at number two on the Billboard 200, selling 139,242 copies in the United States.

If that aint selling what is... thats a dope consistent career for a nikka who been out since 09'.

As far as Lupe last time I check Lasers was Gold... how aint that selling!?!?!

This aint the 90's gold the new platinum g.

Cudi is a made man at Republic, I know this for fact.

Lupe career got fukked up when Chilli went to prison, he lost his buffer at the label. Artist should NEVER talk for themselves.

It's easy for a manager to play bad guy, but when the artist communicates his own frustration he loses the loyalty of the label because animosity grows.

Lupe's big problem is the fact that he has to speak for himself, so even when he isn't wrong, he's still looked at like the bad guy, rebel, a$$hole.

That's when u fall out of favor and they make your life hard. It's that simple. Hov needed a Dame, Wayne needs a Baby, until you reach that level where your word is law.
Underrated post, the Chilli mention makes sense and coincides with a lot of things

Cheercomp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Great post. Props!

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
don't know his exact contract situation so i can't say. but assuming he has to release two other albums and the label refuses to release them, he could either get a lawyer to re-examine the contract and pray they can find some sort of loophole or, negotiate with another label so they can buy out his contract (although he'll probably end up in the same situation different label), or just wait out whatever time he has to wait for them to release the albums. seems like he signed a very shytty contract though if there is no out and he can't release albums. doesn't have many options at this point...

They will release the albums. They just push his release date back and delay the process. He obviously has a good contract or they wouldn't be putting him through this. All they can do is use petty tactics. He's still pocketing his tour and merch money.

:myman:

Cudi is a dream artist for a label. Low maintenance, no handlers, does his own production, no samples to clear, extremely loyal fanbase, doesn't need marketing or even a physical release, etc. He's Low risk, high reward. He takes a year or two off and releases an album when he pleases and still sells +100k week 1:ohlawd: and tours.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Put a dead persons name on the contract, buy 12 features and drop a WTT album with Lupe and bust out with a Daft Punk career for the winter, make your money, get sued and when it's time to pay you bounce to Cuba :win:. Dj Khaled music video style :yes:

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
I'm a Lu' fan and it hurts that people can't stand him (F&L2 and most of his loose tracks have been dope).

But, I understand. I forgot his Twitter was locked, so that may explain him using it as a worldwide diary.

I can understand his frustration, but, the fans don't need to see it, all the time. That's why I've never heard or bought Lasers.

he could have been dropped the two records and move on.

360's make sense for the labels unless youre a mega star.
Nobody is going to buy a Lupe Fiasco record...they have to get their money some kind of way.
He obivisously can't do that.

He said on the last song, on The Cool, he was droppin' one mo' album (L.U.P.End) and bouncing.

Atlantic obvisously said :shaq:

And that's where the drama that eventually brought us Lasers happened.