Marlon Brando Talking about His Salary in Superman

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
A million dollars a minute :wow: no one could get away with that type of shyt today. The man was an enigma

right?!

and that's just the tip of the iceberg

check this out:

"It's well-known among film fanatics that Marlon Brando was paid an unprecedented $7 million for his performance as Jor-El in Superman: The Motion Picture, despite only appearing for seven minutes.

If you think that's impressive, the Godfather star made over double that amount for his work on Superman II. At this point, you might ask, "Wait, did Jor-El appear in the sequel?"

No, he didn't. Brando shot a scene where a hologram of Jor-El speaks to Superman, but it was left on the cutting room floor. The scene was reshot where Superman speaks to a hologram of his mother, Lara.

Even though it's always irritating when an actor's scene is cut, this decision was massively problematic for the studio. You see, Brando was contracted to be paid 11.75% of Superman II's earnings. But since he was no longer in the movie, this stipulation was revoked, making his fee significantly lower.

Enraged by studio's meddling, Brando took the producers to court and won. In the end, Brando was paid $15 million for a three-minute scene that nobody saw until it was released in the director's cut 26 years later."

link:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Amazing actor.... he was kind of crazy tho... Been in some stinkers. The story behind the island of dr. monroe is 1000 better than that movie.

He was like a Guru/ God in hollywood. So unprofessional an unpredictable but they still kissed his ass and didnt blackball him.
Couldnt even be bothered to remember his lines

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Amazing actor.... he was kind of crazy tho... Been in some stinkers. The story behind the island of dr. monroe is 1000 better than that movie.

He was like a Guru/ God in hollywood. So unprofessional an unpredictable but they still kissed his ass and didnt blackball him.
Couldnt even be bothered to remember his lines

dude was one of a kind and truly marched to the beat of his own drum, both on the screen and off the screen

he was eccentric, but most talented/geniuses are.

there was a period where he was in some movies that weren't so embraced, but i think that was because his attention would be elsewhere. (the story behind the island of dr moreau is a crazy! i saw that doc a few years ago:damn:)

like when he got involved in the Civil Rights Movement

46:06 minute mark of this biography documentary, Ossie and Ruby Davis, his son, Martin Sheen and others, talk about how active he was in the Civil Rights Movement and how he walked with Dr. King.

Martin Sheen says, the night Dr. King was shot, Marlon was walking through the streets of Harlem, talking to people with Mayor Lindsay

marlon-brando-john-vliet-lindsay-harlem-new-york-1968-MHXR27.jpg

but yeah, he was unpredictable when it came to being on set from time to time.

that reminds me of when he was suppose in shape for Apocalypse Now, Coppola was like, Brando came to the set overweight, he hadn't read and study the book "The Heart of Darkness", which is what the movie was based on. Coppola had to hire body doubles for him for certain angles

before that, when he did the Godfather, just like in Superman, he used cue cards, check out this pic of the cards placed on Robert Duvall's chest

5bb65dfe260000360083052c.jpeg

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
i wonder if he's one of the reasons that today great actors turn down oscar winning roles for silly superhero roles that pay 100x more money :ohhh:

"well, Brando did it too":yeshrug:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
i wonder if he's one of the reasons that today great actors turn down oscar winning roles for silly superhero roles that pay 100x more money :ohhh:

"well, Brando did it too":yeshrug:

i think it's more of thing where they see a franchise that has had a great winning streak with stability and guaranteed work and want to be apart of something special that has broke new ground and makes money.

it's a win win