Marlon Brando Talking about His Salary in Superman

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
i think it's more of thing where they see a franchise that has had a great winning streak with stability and guaranteed work and want to be apart of something special that has broke new ground and makes money.

it's a win win
idk.... taking shyt roles and selling out kind of takes away from an actors legacy. i know its millions but still. Leo still makes millions without making shyt movies. Him and DDL will go down as the only GOAT actors who didnt do stinkers just for a paycheck :yeshrug:

I cant think of anyone else.... Pacino, DeNiro, Denzel , Jack Nicholson, even the younger ones, Tom Hardy, Fassbender, jake Gyllenhaal, they all have some some Nastradamus movies to their name

Maybe Bale, he did that Thor movie but he was still the best thing in that movie

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
idk.... taking shyt roles and selling out kind of takes away from an actors legacy. i know its millions but still. Leo still makes millions without making shyt movies. Him and DDL will go down as the only GOAT actors who didnt do stinkers just for a paycheck :yeshrug:

I cant think of anyone else.... Pacino, DeNiro, Denzel , Jack Nicholson, even the younger ones, Tom Hardy, Fassbender, jake Gyllenhaal, they all have some some Nastradamus movies to their name

Maybe Bale, he did that Thor movie but he was still the best thing in that movie

Well, that’s two different things

Being in a comic book movie doesn’t make it an automatic stinker film

Also, Bale was in the Batman trilogy, and that was great.

Last edited:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
dude was one of a kind and truly marched to the beat of his own drum, both on the screen and off the screen

he was eccentric, but most talented/geniuses are.

there was a period where he was in some movies that weren't so embraced, but i think that was because his attention would be elsewhere. (the story behind the island of dr moreau is a crazy! i saw that doc a few years ago:damn:)

like when he got involved in the Civil Rights Movement

46:06 minute mark of this biography documentary, Ossie and Ruby Davis, his son, Martin Sheen and others, talk about how active he was in the Civil Rights Movement and how he walked with Dr. King.

Martin Sheen says, the night Dr. King was shot, Marlon was walking through the streets of Harlem, talking to people with Mayor Lindsay

marlon-brando-john-vliet-lindsay-harlem-new-york-1968-MHXR27.jpg

but yeah, he was unpredictable when it came to being on set from time to time.

that reminds me of when he was suppose in shape for Apocalypse Now, Coppola was like, Brando came to the set overweight, he hadn't read and study the book "The Heart of Darkness", which is what the movie was based on. Coppola had to hire body doubles for him for certain angles

before that, when he did the Godfather, just like in Superman, he used cue cards, check out this pic of the cards placed on Robert Duvall's chest

5bb65dfe260000360083052c.jpeg

Saw some tweets about Brando on Godfather today interesting stuff:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Saw some tweets about Brando on Godfather today interesting stuff:

Great find!!!!:salute:

i remember watching that footage of Coppola talking about all the work that went into getting Brando for the part of Vito.

The Godfather really brought him back among the critics after the 60's, because a lot of the movies he was in, in the 60's were panned.

he really nailed that role as Vito in the Godfather.:wow:

Thief's Theme

All Star
Daps
reminds me of Jack Nicholson's Batman deal, he had all types of clauses and got points on merchandise, etc.

they say it was maybe around 90 million total

they needed Brando and Jack to legitimize those franchises at the time... and now the super heroes are bigger than the actors

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Marlon Brando was a fantastic actor and is on the list as one of the all-time greats, but he was also one of the greatest of all time on set pricks and a$$holes too. He'd probably tell you the same if he were still here. The two reasons Paramount didn't want him for the role of Vito Corleone was 1.) He wasn't a box office draw anymore & more importantly 2.) He had a diva like behavior. Then he didn't return in GF2 because of how weary they were to put him in the first one. I shouldn't be surprised that Hollywood bent over backwards for him, even after all of his onset antics like he pulled on Apocalypse Now! and he practically committed sexual assault in Last Tango in Paris with the butter. I mean, there are numerous accounts of him refusing to act on the set of The Score unless director Frank Oz talked to him in his Miss Piggy voice that he used to do on The Muppet Show. Then, years later, Frank showed regret and basically blamed himself despite the fact that he didn't do any of it. I can't fault Paramount for not wanting him for The Godfather, even though he came out of the better end of things. It sounds like I'm hating, and I don't mean to sound that way. The great thing about Marlon was his incredible sense of truth - he may have made some bad choices in the roles that he did, but the one thing he could not be was false. I think that's why he didn't like acting very much, because it always drew up painful things from within him about his life that he then transferred to his characters.

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Marlon Brando was a fantastic actor and is on the list as one of the all-time greats, but he was also one of the greatest of all time on set pricks and a$$holes too. He'd probably tell you the same if he were still here. The two reasons Paramount didn't want him for the role of Vito Corleone was 1.) He wasn't a box office draw anymore & more importantly 2.) He had a diva like behavior. Then he didn't return in GF2 because of how weary they were to put him in the first one. I shouldn't be surprised that Hollywood bent over backwards for him, even after all of his onset antics like he pulled on Apocalypse Now! and he practically committed sexual assault in Last Tango in Paris with the butter. I mean, there are numerous accounts of him refusing to act on the set of The Score unless director Frank Oz talked to him in his Miss Piggy voice that he used to do on The Muppet Show. Then, years later, Frank showed regret and basically blamed himself despite the fact that he didn't do any of it. I shouldn't be surprised that Hollywood rewards bad behavior though and this is just another example of many. It sounds like I'm hating, and I don't mean to sound that way. The great thing about Marlon was his incredible sense of truth - he may have made some bad choices in the roles that he did, but the one thing he could not be was false. I think that's why he didn't like acting very much, because it always drew up painful things from within him about his life that he then transferred to his characters.

Wait, what happened?! :dwillhuh:

I’ve always heard that The Last Tango In Paris is a controversial movie but I’ve never seen it before. What is this about butter? :merchant:

I’ve seen the The Score before but never knew the backstory to him telling the director to talk like Miss Piggy, what was up with that?! :dahell:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Wait, what happened?! :dwillhuh:

I’ve always heard that The Last Tango In Paris is a controversial movie but I’ve never seen it before. What is this about butter? :merchant:

I’ve seen the The Score before but never knew the backstory to him telling the director to talk like Miss Piggy, what was up with that?! :dahell:
According to Maria Schneider, the infamous "butter scene" was never in the script and it was improvised at the last minute by Marlon Brando and director Bernardo Bertolucci, without consulting her. Bertolucci confirmed that during a press tour. He said he didn't tell Schneider that Brando's character would use butter as a lubricant in the film's rape scene "because I wanted her reaction as a girl, not as an actress. I wanted her to react humiliated." The director's admission caused public outcry. Schneider told the Huffington Post "Marlon said to me: 'Maria, don't worry, it's just a movie,' but during the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears." She felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci. After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or apologize. Thankfully, there was just one take."

In The Score, Oz gave some direction to Marlon, which he disagreed with, so he stopped taking directions from him. It got so bad that Marlon commanded that Robert De Niro direct his scenes which he did. De Niro wore an earpiece with Oz on the other end. Brando also refused to wear pants so most of his scenes had to be shot from the waste up. He also refused to smile in the last shot of the, so the production crew had to digitally put a smile on him in post-production.

e1sfq20693g21.jpg

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
According to Maria Schneider, the infamous "butter scene" was never in the script and it was improvised at the last minute by Marlon Brando and director Bernardo Bertolucci, without consulting her. Bertolucci confirmed that during a press tour. He said he didn't tell Schneider that Brando's character would use butter as a lubricant in the film's rape scene "because I wanted her reaction as a girl, not as an actress. I wanted her to react humiliated." The director's admission caused public outcry. Schneider told the Huffington Post "Marlon said to me: 'Maria, don't worry, it's just a movie,' but during the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears." She felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci. After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or apologize. Thankfully, there was just one take."

In The Score, Oz gave some direction to Marlon, which he disagreed with, so he stopped taking directions from him. It got so bad that Marlon commanded that Robert De Niro direct his scenes which he did. De Niro wore an earpiece with Oz on the other end. Brando also refused to wear pants so most of his scenes had to be shot from the waste up. He also refused to smile in the last shot of the, so the production crew had to digitally put a smile on him in post-production.

e1sfq20693g21.jpg

Damn! That was horrible!!!! What the hell?! :mjtf:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Well, that’s two different things

Being in a comic book movie doesn’t make it an automatic stinker film

Also, Bale was in the Batman trilogy, and that was great.
I was not talking about superhero movies... i ment making a shyt movie just for the money.

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
I was not talking about superhero movies... i ment making a shyt movie just for the money.

Leo may not have ever made a shytty movie just for the money but he does a few less stellar movies (“The Man In The Iron Mask, “Romeo + Juliet, “The Beach” and “Body of Lies”)