Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's amazing that you say this like you aren't the one putting the most work in keeping the shyt going month after month, leading the thread in replies by a wide margin pretending to be some objective champion on cinema, like EVERYONE but you in here is being unreasonable, nikka please.

I'm 2nd in replies. Another one of you marvel cats is first. Y'all keep quoting me lookin for validation :manny:

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love both, certain films more than others from each of course.
This, the problem isn't super hero movies per se, the problem are movie industry politics, which are crowding out everything but super hero and action franchises (and kids movies). However, these politics are also a reaction to technological developments with streaming services and big screen tv's (and rising ticket prices). I don't need to go to the movies to watch a film like the Irishman, I can do that on my 65" tv in the comfort of my own home. And complex characters and stories are now being told in prestige TV shows, which have the same production values as big budget Hollywood projects, so there is no need for prestige movies anymore. But I'm pretty sure, at some point, this will change again. I feel like prestige TV already jumped the shark and people will get tired of super hero movies eventually.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This, the problem isn't super hero movies per se, the problem are movie industry politics, which are crowding out everything but super hero and action franchises (and kids movies). However, these politics are also a reaction to technological developments with streaming services and big screen tv's (and rising ticket prices). I don't need to go to the movies to watch a film like the Irishman, I can do that on my 65" tv in the comfort of my own home. And complex characters and stories are now being told in prestige TV shows, which have the same production values as big budget Hollywood projects, so there is no need for prestige movies anymore. But I'm pretty sure, at some point, this will change again. I feel like prestige TV already jumped the shark and people will get tired of super hero movies eventually.
Yeah I been saying TV/streaming dramas are eating into the movie going audience as far as character development, complex dramatic story telling goes. Marvel/comic book movies isn't the same audience really.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

This is exactly what I been saying for a while now. Which is funny, because Scorsese's complaints SHOULD be more directed at his new film studio Netflix. They had much more to do with the way people consume cinema than the 2 or 3 Marvel movies that drop once a year among 100's of non-super hero films.

Your point about TV as well, which Marty also says doesn't qualify as cinema is another accurate assessment. A lot of people, even the ones who have a favorable view of The Irishman have said it was too long and would have worked way better as TV series. That's where the people who are into depth, character study and even cinematography are going to get their fix more so than the theaters.

I understand filmmakers reservations about this change, but it is what it is. People aren't stupid or immature just because your movie doesn't really justify a the rising costs of the theater experience or shirking the convince of platforms like Netflix giving us the option to have a more intimate experience with certain types of films. Invalidating

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Last edited:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
"I think the people who made it have never been to Africa,” he said. Speaking of the legendary Ruth E. Carter, who became the first black person to win the Oscar for Best Costume Design for her work on the film, Gilliam said, “They went and got some stylist for some African pattern fabrics and things.” Continuing, the helmer of the embattled The Man Who Killed Don Quixote explained, “But I just I hated that movie, partly because the media were going on about the importance of bullshyt.”

:mjpls::mjpls::mjpls:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
And I hate to break it to you, but Scorsese and Nas are "just guys". This isn't a situation where we're debating, I dunno....astrophysics and you're citing Neil deGrasse Tyson. Where there is objective facts in play. It's art, which is subjective. Nas is a legend but he's praised Future....I think Future is trash. Should I give a fukk what he said, in that situation? :mjtf:

Fred.

Respect Future more than Nas brehs.. because that makes sense. Nas clearly doesn't know more about writing than Future, right? :yawn:

giphy.gif