Marvel Under Pressure To Retire Punisher Character and Logo

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

Marvel Under Pressure To Retire Punisher Character And Logo

This week there were a number of people who called for Marvel to retire the Punisher as his logo was spotted on rioters at the capitol.

BY LIAM MCGUIRE 5 HOURS AGO

Voices calling for Marvel to retire the Punisher and/or his logo following its continued adoption as a symbol of hatred and division have increased following the riots at the Capitol in Washington, D.C. Last week, multiple rioters were seen sporting a modified version of the iconic character's logo as they stormed the Capitol in an act of domestic terrorism.

The Punisher logo has been adopted by a number of different groups over the years but has become more prominent in recent months. A former marine, countless writers have been clear that the Punisher is first and foremost a murderer driven by vengeance, putting that above the patriotism and sense of duty he long ago left behind. The Punisher himself has admonished police for wearing his logo, clarifying that it has no place alongside the duty to protect and serve, but that hasn't stopped it showing up on the uniforms of cops and soldiers, as well as in Blue Lives Matter demonstrations and at the Capitol

Photos were snapped last week of rioters at the Capitol with Punisher logos on shirts, backpacks, and hats. Most of these designs featured the Punisher skull on the United States flag. Following the chaos that ended with multiple people getting killed, comic creators and voices in the industry wondered if the logo and character had been tainted and called for Marvel to do something about it.

The concept was called corrupted by BLACK artist Jamal Igle.

He wasn't the only one to call for Frank Castle's retirement.

Mitch Gerads, who was the primary artist for 2014's Punisher series said Marvel needs to retire the logo until it's no longer used as a symbol of hatred.

The discourse on social media has offered potential solutions instead of Marvel retiring the Punisher for good that would make sense if the publisher continues with the character. The first being drastically shifts who the Punisher is - make him fight systemic injustice, abuse of power, and everything the rioters are against. Another option is to allow the Punisher title to pass to a character of color - as has been done with many other Marvel heroes (and even the Punisher before) - in order to turn away those who would project a theme of racial hatred onto the character.

But the thing that most have commented Marvel should do is enforce their trademark. They haven't been stingy in enforcing it before, but in order to stop organizations from adopting it, they need to get their entire legal team on the situation and start issuing cease and desists, otherwise, there's no coming back from it. Regardless, something needs to change about the Punisher - Marvel can't sit around and do nothing, otherwise the character and his iconic logo will be tainted forever.

Sorry if this has been already posted. :jbhmm:

I think the character is cool but I wouldn't miss him. Him becoming the face of white supremacy and domestic terrorism isn't really something to sneeze at.

I've enjoyed the shows and few comics here and there I've read of him but since he isn't of any particular relevance to what Marvel is doing right now it's feasible that they could retire him. Thoughts? :patrice:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
So you're telling me if these guys were running around with Arc Reactors, the half-mask, or Bat Symbols on tees, they'd consider retiring Iron Man, Deadpool or Bats? :mjlol:

Nah, this is the path of least resistance. Something short term and low impact they can do to LOOK like they're doing something.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think they should do the opposite and write stories about him showing he is diametrically opposed to their lifestyle and goals. Kinda what they did to Chris Pratt with Starlord only do it to the 10th exponent.
And also curb it's use outside of Marvel via legal action. Also, Marvel maybe needs to stop making Punisher merch altogether.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I think they should do the opposite and write stories about him showing he is diametrically opposed to their lifestyle and goals. Kinda what they did to Chris Pratt with Starlord only do it to the 10th exponent.
And also curb it's use outside of Marvel via legal action. Also, Marvel maybe needs to stop making Punisher merch altogether.

Not sure the latter.... any graphic designer & screen printer can still make shyt.

I know I could:russ:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
so should we retire the american flag because mufukkaz acting stupid as shyt wearing flag t-shirts and hats too?

Fair point.

Realistically this is how I see it going. No official marvel merch for a bit, and a really long campaign characterizing that the Punisher is anti-racism and terrorism.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

giphy.gif