Better Rookie Album?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Mase was my favorite rapper in 1997, when I was 12, LOVE Harlem World.

Didn't get into Reasonable Doubt until later, like 1999 or later, but I heard In My Lifetime around the time it was hot. Probably bought that in 1998 too.

That is probably the better comparison. The sound in the game switched so much back, Jay's debut, was like an elegant mediation on hustling and drug trafficking, the streets, and searching for more in the rap game. The production is lower profile, takes a background to the intricate lyrics, even the most commercial track would hardly qualify compared to the smashes from Mase's debut.

Mase debut was Bad Boy at it's absolute prime. Right before it fell wildly off, when the sound changed again in 1998. It's glossy and gaudy, like a big budget movie, very commercial production, 20 plus songs, skits, splashy guest appearances, the subject matter is mostly lifestyle raps and flossing, what people in 2020 would call a "vibe". There's no real theme or narrative he's expressing besides basking in success and fame as Bad Boy's prince, and being from Harlem. But, he never really showcases what Harlem is or was, or meant to him, maybe because he is defining that.

Last edited:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
hard one bc they both did it so well on their debut for their respective styles. Ma$e as the playboy and Jigga as the hustler.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Life After Death and No Way Out already did everything Harlem World did but better. Only influence that came from that album was the Neptunes first big placement.

And it was also the first time Southern artists were featured on an East Coast album. It is the first time Jay was on JD beat too because he's featured on "Cheat On You" produced by JD.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why is The Source revisionist though? In 1999, they said Harlem World was no Reasonable Doubt or Illmatic, but in 2024 they are comparing it to RD.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I mean, there is probably no one there from 1999. Their staffers have to be mostly interns/unpaid interns in their 20's.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Why is The Source revisionist though? In 1999, they said Harlem World was no Reasonable Doubt or Illmatic, but in 2024 they are comparing it to RD.

Because after Harlem world it became cool to hate on badboy shortly after....years later all the GOATS let the world know ma$e is their goat and inspiration. People didn't realize how impactful and inspirational he was I guess :manny:

now u can actually trace back from what ma$e did and see who are sons of him.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Because after Harlem world it became cool to hate on badboy shortly after....years later all the GOATS let the world know ma$e is their goat and inspiration. People didn't realize how impactful and inspirational he was I guess :manny:

Less than like 8 months between Harlem World and It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, from October of 1997 to May of 1998.

and just like that Bad Boy was, not done, but considerably lessened.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Less than like 8 months between Harlem World and It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, from October of 1997 to May of 1998.

and just like that Bad Boy was, not done, but considerably lessened.

ironically DMX had a lot 2 do with that :damn:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Harlem world sucks. Thereā€™s like 7 good tracks out of 20 :heh:

Breh it "sucks" I get y u don't like it LMAO :scust:

I'm just gonna assume the people fronting on Harlem world are young as fukk, from BK, or foreign :russ:

ya'll be disrespectful for no reason I swear. dikkryding is at an all time high.

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats a cool rare ish pic
Wish there was more video footage back then of recording sessions snd backstage shyt

And its crazy that mase had the dead presidents beat at one point