Megan the stallion reveals she’s having trouble with her record labels

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
Same shyt different artist. It’s cool when they’re not making any money and just want a look off a label. Then they blow, start making some serious bread and it’s only then they look into the fineprint and see how shyt gets split, then they start actin up. It’s wild how the finesse still works the exact same.
What if some artists just can’t read? Could it be we are looking over something so small because how in the hell do these same things keep happening

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
This fall under dumb as well.

It matters if you think or know that you're not that talented to do it on your own.

Prince was stupid to sign his deal considering his Talent Waka Flaka was smart considering his lack of talent

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
It matters if you think or know that you're not that talented to do it on your own.

Prince was stupid to sign his deal considering his Talent Waka Flaka was smart considering his lack of talent
She didn't read what she was signing. If you don't know what terms are in a contract, you are dumb.

ThaEruditious

She luv it over here like Gold Watch.
Daps
Reppin
Nashville/Augusta
I see the hustle now. So basically they sign nikkas that can't read.

This is why we get such stupid music. The artist they sign are as dumb as the music they put out.

I was locked up with a former label exec back in 2013-14, he flat out told me if the artist wants to read the contract, the company berates them about wasting their time and threaten to rip up the contract, at which point the artist gets desperate and signs their life away.

So yes, they discourage intelligence, because that means they can't fukk you with no Vaseline if you're smart and up on game about all their demonic tactics.

It's dirty, dirty game.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I was locked up with a former label exec back in 2013-14, he flat out told me if the artist wants to read the contract, the company berates them about wasting their time and threaten to rip up the contract, at which point the artist gets desperate and signs their life away.

So yes, they discourage intelligence, because that means they can't fukk you with no Vaseline if you're smart and up on game about all their demonic tactics.

It's dirty, dirty game.

I think it's more of a "take it or leave it" thing than a simple not reading of a contract. You don't hear about bidding wars too much nowadays Labels don't want to mess up their pressure campaigns.

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise

It's dirty, dirty game.

Absolutely correct!!!! They basically rush you to sign your life and rights away without getting legal advice.

Meg shouldn't have signed period. The advice she got from her mom(she was a rapper) before she died was bad. Being truly independent means doing 100% of the leg work on your own, but retaining 100% ownership. Now, she is stuck like chuck and is about to risk losing her name on top of the lost rights to the slogan "hot girl summer." Crawford filed the trademark under the label's name instead of Megan's name.

Megan isn't a bad artist, but I do feel she has peaked. The last shyt that she has dropped has barely made a blip on the charts.

Crawford is being petty tho. He ain't releasing her. This is an ego trip. All he has to do is name a price, then Roc Nation will pay it.

Megan is fukked either way. Even if she does get away from Crawford, Jay and Roc Nation will be her new slave owners and she'll have to recoup the money it took to get her out of that deal.

Megan will be working a regular job in 2 years max.

Daps
Everyone always talks that be independent stuff online, but the reality is you’re not blowing up to that level if your aren’t signed to a label. And please spare me Chance the rapper
:comeon:

Even top artist who’s been in the game for years always resign to major label.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
You own a record label called NaijaProdigy Redux

You have 10 artists.

You biggest artist wants to branch off and start his own label called Redux Loaded.

You cosign it, help him get started, but since he's your artist, you want a cut of everything it generates so your label partly owns Redux Loaded.

And you get a percentage of it's artists revenue.

So any artist that signs to the new label, is also signed to your label.
pusha-t-gif-6.gif

Daps
Reppin
NULL
J. Prince doesn’t own 1501
I was curious because at the same time she was announcing her management deal J prince made it his business to announce that no one is taking anything for the holders of her recording contract. by the tone I thought it was a personal matter for him.

ThaEruditious

She luv it over here like Gold Watch.
Daps
Reppin
Nashville/Augusta
What was prince’s alias? Was it that sign thing?

So prince had that much money he could make his own album and promote it?

The Love Symbol. Even when he used that as his name he was still under Warner Bros. I think The Gold Experience was the first project he used under that moniker. He didn't earn his Independence until after the fact.