Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
*paraphrased*

But a lot of people suspected this was a big part of the reason he bowed out

Johnson on retiring: No chance at SB in Detroit

A year after retiring, Calvin Johnson has admitted playing for the Detroit Lionswas a factor in his decision to walk away from the NFL.

When he retired last year, Johnson cited the beating his body was taking after nine years in the NFL as the reason he left the league. Last week in Italy, Johnson was more candid about the Lions' fortunes being just as important in his decision.

Johnson, who was in Italy to present the game ball for Italian Bowl XXXVII, the American football championship game in the country, was asked by reporters if he ever thought about switching teams.

"Of course, I thought about it," he said. "Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it's not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.

"I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn't see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall and not going anywhere.

"It's the definition of insanity," he added, drawing laughter from the media in attendance.

Asked again if playing for the Lions was the reason he retired, Johnson said: "Yes, and the body."

Johnson, 31, was interviewed for ESPN's E:60 last year three months after retiring and largely deflected questions whether the Lions' failure on the field led to his retirement. The furthest he would go was saying, "if [the Lions] would have been a contender it would have been harder to let go."

Johnson, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, made the postseason only twice with the Lions (in 2011 and '14).

Johnson's comments last week came two months after he told the Detroit Free Press that he wasn't happy with how the Lions treated him on his way out. The team also made him repay $1 million of his signing bonus when he retired.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
"I didn't see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall and not going anywhere."

Leave the game on your own with your health & money instead of getting CTE for your .500 team with no chance of winning, brehs :wow: :banderas:

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
Smart man I must say. You got the 60 million guaranteed plus the vast majority of the 132 million contract you signed in 2012. By the time the contract is over he would be 32 and past his prime. Why bother going to a contender and potentially damaging your body even further? Retired in his early 30s and living life. :yeshrug:

King Poetic

Supreme Clientele
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bottom of the Lakes
i kind of wish he played but fake some injuries just to sit out and get the money he left on the table

but good for him... kind of dude who's not clinton portis type of lifestyle living who's good with his cash

75 Others

Stop it Skeeeyyyuuup
Daps
Ok this doesn't sit well with me. He quit because the team sucked, so he was willing to stay in the league and get further injuries if he played for a contender?

Leaving the game because of body issues is fine, but throwing your ex team under the bus aint cool.