Millennials, What's wrong with this generation?

Althalucian

All Star
Daps
This guy is beyond being a smug POS - he is using stereotypical prejudices used by older generations to shyt on younger generations. You can see it gives him a hard on.

The truth is America has always believed in dreaming big and attempting to become whatever you want. Ever hear of the Horatio Algiers story, a self-made man, believing in yourself, being an entrepreneur, having an independent American spirit, being an individual? Pursuit of happiness, etc. Wow, millenials are taught they are special. And? You are unique. Whoopdeedoo. It is true. What you do with that is up to you.

The true problem is the lack of self-reflection that most people have across generations (and there was probably less self-reflection back then when propaganda was simpler). Essentially being a slave to the myths of the day. If you are happy with having the same mentality as everyone else have fun. If you are interested in using education and willpower to exert your independence you will be on your own journey.

The only thing wrong with millenials is what is wrong with any other generation - we are flawed human being prone to propaganda and slavishness. We have inherited much of the same problems as older generations but with less power to change it until older generations are dead.

Until that time the older generation will deflect, deflect, deflect until they are dead and they have passed on their mental diseases and flaws onto us.

• Dap
Reactions: One

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
This guy is beyond being a smug POS - he is using stereotypical prejudices used by older generations to shyt on younger generations. You can see it gives him a hard on.

The truth is America has always believed in dreaming big and attempting to become whatever you want. Ever hear of the Horatio Algiers story, a self-made man, believing in yourself, being an entrepreneur, having an independent American spirit, being an individual? Pursuit of happiness, etc. Wow, millenials are taught they are special. And? You are unique. Whoopdeedoo. It is true. What you do with that is up to you.

The true problem is the lack of self-reflection that most people have across generations (and there was probably less self-reflection back then when propaganda was simpler). Essentially being a slave to the myths of the day. If you are happy with having the same mentality as everyone else have fun. If you are interested in using education and willpower to exert your independence you will be on your own journey.

The only thing wrong with millenials is what is wrong with any other generation - we are flawed human being prone to propaganda and slavishness. We have inherited much of the same problems as older generations but with less power to change it until older generations are dead.

Until that time the older generation will deflect, deflect, deflect until they are dead and they have passed on their mental diseases and flaws onto us.
why are you getting defensive?

this wasn't an attack on millennials. he's acknowledged and expressed how most of the faults of millennials are due to the failures of previous generations. the older generations all had flaws as well. no generation is perfect, and in fact, FAR from it.
but right now it is the time and age of Millennials, so trying to deal and work with millennials as the future is a good thing.

I think the message he was putting forth was just as much to the older generations, as it was towards millennials.

We can't do anything about baby boomers now, fukk them, they are dying off and have left us all in a bad position. they put Gen X'ers in a terrible position, and now they are ensuring that Millennials have to deal with those consequences.

In fact, Gen X'ers added on to the bullshyt by pushing forward this message that kids are some special little snowflakes and they should be babied and protected.

They've also pushed this message that the traditional families are not needed to raise children. that somehow a "strong independant woman" can do just fine raising kids and outcasted men.
And Men, were too busy being their selfish asses to give a fukk and just peaced out on to the next thing.

I really think Gen Xers did a huge disservice by trying to raise their kids a certain way.

I'm gonna say this...and it might piss off a lot of ppl but its true. Too many ppl stopped giving a fukk about their partners, wives, husbands, spouses, etc. and started to put their kids in to those same positions, thus deteriorating the family even more and making the partner expendable.

Althalucian

All Star
Daps
why are you getting defensive?

this wasn't an attack on millennials. he's acknowledged and expressed how most of the faults of millennials are due to the failures of previous generations. the older generations all had flaws as well. no generation is perfect, and in fact, FAR from it.
but right now it is the time and age of Millennials, so trying to deal and work with millennials as the future is a good thing.

I think the message he was putting forth was just as much to the older generations, as it was towards millennials.

We can't do anything about baby boomers now, fukk them, they are dying off and have left us all in a bad position. they put Gen X'ers in a terrible position, and now they are ensuring that Millennials have to deal with those consequences.

In fact, Gen X'ers added on to the bullshyt by pushing forward this message that kids are some special little snowflakes and they should be babied and protected.

They've also pushed this message that the traditional families are not needed to raise children. that somehow a "strong independant woman" can do just fine raising kids and outcasted men.
And Men, were too busy being their selfish asses to give a fukk and just peaced out on to the next thing.

I really think Gen Xers did a huge disservice by trying to raise their kids a certain way.

I'm gonna say this...and it might piss off a lot of ppl but its true. Too many ppl stopped giving a fukk about their partners, wives, husbands, spouses, etc. and started to put their kids in to those same positions, thus deteriorating the family even more and making the partner expendable.

I'm defensive because these are typical political attacks on millenials that I've found mostly based in ignorance and malice than truth.

I'll say this about the family thing: I don't understand your/this criticism. Single mothers have existed since forever and men leaving their children have existed forever. Strong independent women are great - I'm glad they find inner strength and are ambitious and seek the employment they deserve. Back in the day they would have to pick the closest man and go full on gold digger. If two people get married and divorce because one or both parents are beyond shytty, let them. Why are we punishing women if they happen to leave an abusive situation? I think most healthy men and women desire community even if they are single. And quite a few date.

So if maybe I misunderstand your thoughts on this please feel free to expound further on your criticism of the breakdown of the family.

Also, as a bit of an aside, I went to a European country recently and found that the society had a lot more respective for families and children than we do here
They let us in front of lines, people gave us far more preferential treatment because of our young son, and there were more playgrounds there than I've ever seen. And I went to four cities in this country. I think the problem is less individual families than our society's disdain for fellow Americans...we are selectively cold to eachother: rich vs poor, white vs black.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I'm defensive because these are typical political attacks on millenials that I've found mostly based in ignorance and malice than truth.

I'll say this about the family thing: I don't understand your/this criticism. Single mothers have existed since forever and men leaving their children have existed forever. Strong independent women are great - I'm glad they find inner strength and are ambitious and seek the employment they deserve. Back in the day they would have to pick the closest man and go full on gold digger. If two people get married and divorce because one or both parents are beyond shytty, let them. Why are we punishing women if they happen to leave an abusive situation? I think most healthy men and women desire community even if they are single. And quite a few date.

So if maybe I misunderstand your thoughts on this please feel free to expound further on your criticism of the breakdown of the family.

Also, as a bit of an aside, I went to a European country recently and found that the society had a lot more respective for families and children than we do here
They let us in front of lines, people gave us far more preferential treatment because of our young son, and there were more playgrounds there than I've ever seen. And I went to four cities in this country. I think the problem is less individual families than our society's disdain for fellow Americans...we are selectively cold to eachother: rich vs poor, white vs black.
no doubt, American culture and society although it may "appear" similar from an outside point of view (similar to others looking in) is a different animal altogether. Americans are typically more selfish, more self involved and less open and caring of other people.

Now, I do want to make it clear that I wasn't attacking strong or independant women or that women should be forced to stay in bad relationships, I was more referring to this societal view that women "don't need men" and that they can do everything without men and that men are basically expendable in a relationship. I don't think anyone should stay in an abusive relationship, and those relationships aren't what I'm referring to. Which is why I quoted "independant women". Because ppl's pride is oftentimes more important than forgiveness. Somone would rather leave over some BS and say "fukk you, I can do this on my own I don't need you" than to just try to work through shyt.

And Men ain't shyt either, this isn't a one side attack on women. Men are too quick to jump in and out of relationships too. And too many men are afraid to be in a committed relationship out of insecurity and pettiness.

The Gen X generation grew up on this "Keep it real" "show me some respect" and that the moment somone doesn't "put a little respek on my name" they go off. This false pride really affects relationships and hurts the family process.

But I do think that the part of the break down of the current family structure, and how easily ppl are to dismiss and move on to the next person is what is hurting the kids.

WaveMolecules

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
the self-esteem issue jumped out at me.

i cant tell you how many people, mostly younger than me (30), i see that can talk freely and confidently about bullshyt but whisper when it matters.

no confidence and being defiant and contrarian becomes the default response.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
What would it look like for men to not be emasculated anymore?

A better tomorrow. Kids would be better emotionally developed, people would be more humble, and less selfishness abroad.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The massive increase in the price of education in the United States.
Even moreso, due to colonialism's aftereffects, a massive chunk of the world is still incredibly poor and underdeveloped, globalization would (if White countries hadn't destroyed the progress of African, Asian, and South American countries) have allowed much of United States manufacturing to continue and a much-eased spread of wealth, plus a massive need for skilled and unskilled labor.
Decades of bad policy screwing over future generations; creating the prison-industrial complex, mass-incarceration, the War on Drugs, red-lining, breaking the back of the public school system, shattering the welfare-system, the decline of unions and their power, the decline of local political power and real representation, etc.
Choking innovation through governmental policy has also been an issue.
What's wrong with this generation? They fell to the failures of the last generations and are just coping.
Its not "safe spaces" or being "irreligious."