More than nostalgia: How NBC thrived and how ESPN failed with the NBA!

Your report card for the NBA on ABC/ESPN?

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
NBC blows every network outta the water with presentation in any sport by far.
it is as simple as this. Their College fooball coverage absolutely embarrasses ESPN's and is superior to CBS'. I'm so glad the big ten got a deal with them, because Notre Dame wasn't worthy of their quality.

NBA's olympics coverage is godly too

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Which is why it's always funny to me people act like race is never a factor when people talk ratings for the NBA

It's the number one reason why white Americans don't watch watch the NBA going all the way back to the 70s.

Athletes in all team sports are finding themselves more accountable to fans today, because their salaries are routinely reported along with their batting averages and rushing yardages. Add the fact that almost 75% of the players in the NBA are black—while more than 75% of the fans are white—and the issue of race as a contributing factor to the league's troubles cannot be simply dismissed with whispers and off-the-record comments.

"It is a fact that white people in general look disfavorably upon blacks who are making astronomical amounts of money if it appears they are not working hard for that money," says Seattle's Paul Silas, a black who is president of the NBA Players Association. "Our players have become so good that it appears they're doing things too easily, that they don't have the intensity they once had."

Some people are obviously turned off by the NBA for racial reasons, others may couch their rationale in more palatable—but essentially the same—terms. "A lot of people use the word 'undisciplined' to describe the NBA," says Al Attles, the black coach of the Golden State Warriors. "I think that word is pointed at a group more than at a sport. What do they mean by it? On the court? Off the court? What kind of clothes a guy wears? How he talks? How he plays? I think that's a cop-out."

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
BSPN SUX BALLS

ITS BASICALLY JUST A NETWORK THAT REVOLVES AROUND SLURPING LEBRON AND UNDERMINING ANY UP-AND-COMING STAR (BRUNSON, SGA, HALIBURTON, ETC.)

ITS GUNA TAKE A NETWORK LIKE NBC TO MAKE SOMEONE LIKE EDWARDS A HOUSEHOLD NAME

TNT IS AVERAGE BUT ESPN IS SO BAD THAT THEY MAKE THEM LOOK AMAZING IN COMPARISON

Red Money

All Star
Daps
CBS & Fox do the NFL right and both theme musics are good and they intro the games the right way...like both coverages better than NBC, but I'm partial to CBS as a ravens fan.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sad shyt is that SAS is so far gone with his ego and up his own ass that the criticism of yesterday's broadcast isn't even gonna get through to him, he'll probably just take it as people hating on him.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
It isn’t just ESPN, it’s the very money hungry pivot that things took when the whole “Next Jordan” marketing model went crazy. I think that also drastically affected how ESPN ended up approaching things.
NBC is at fault for all that.

Look at their ratings dip when MJ retired.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I never liked ESPN's presentation for the most part. CBS was better at college basketball. Fox was better at baseball. And of course NBC was better at NBA.

They just used to be really good at the highlight shows like PTI, Baseball Tonight, all the NFL shows used to be great. Then prime time hits and you've spent the whole day on the channel so you might as well watch live sports as well.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Great point, and ESPN had the misfortune of inheriting that model with no Michael Jordan so ever since it’s looked ugly.
FF to 2024 and nobody has learned from the past since everyone’s been on their “who’s the next face of the league” stuff lately

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Dun-dun-dun-dunnnn, dun-dun-dun-dunnnn, dun-dun-dun-dunnnn, duhhhhhhh

Dun-dun-dun-dun dun-dun-dun-dun

Dun-dun-dun-dun dun-dun-dun-dun

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dunnnn

Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da

Dun-dun-dun-dunnnn, dun-dun-dun-dunnnn, dun-dun-dun-dunnnn, duhhhhhhh

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun, da-da-da-da-da-da

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun, da-da-da-da-da-da

Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dunnnn