MS state senator introduces bill to close 3 public colleges

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
You’re a fukking CAC being here trynna sow discord. bytch ass CAC :pacspit:

Nobody black calls people moron
Bruh chill out. It’s ok to discuss instead of insult and make false accusations. I don’t want to derail this thread by proving that I’m black. 🤦🏽‍♂️. There’s always a possibility of me and anyone else being wrong. I appreciate @get these nets . I will say he’s a solid guy…always offering a legit break down and explanation of things. I appreciate him.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Facts please elaborate idiot. What’s your take on this issue moron. The report didn’t go into full detail about the numbers…financials, enrollment of each school.
:heh: i am not debating anything serious with you. You are just an anti black fakkit who needs to be put to the sword sooner rather than later

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka

King Poetic

Can You Spot Me A 20?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
On The Pacific
I really need to look at these books on all parties involved especially the government because im pretty sure some money didn’t even reach the right pockets but a whole lot of them got their homes redone

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
If I had to guess, I would guess that the schools mentioned are the ones they are targeting(Delta State, Valley, and Miss Univ for Women). 2 are PWI’s, and 1 is an HBCU.

I don’t see JSU or Alcorn being in any danger to close. Alcorn just saw an increase in freshman numbers. JSU is one of the largest HBCU’s, and the 4th largest school in the state.

Given MVSU and Delta are in the Delta region though would this adversely impact the ability of local residents to pursue higher education?

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Given MVSU and Delta are in the Delta region though would this adversely impact the ability of local residents to pursue higher education?
Yea, I’d say so. With 33% of Delta States school population being black, and Valley being an HBCU, I’d assume most of the black students who attend those universities are from the delta area. Not very much opportunity for higher learning in the area, outside a few community colleges, small colleges, and nearby Ole Miss (about 100 miles from both Valley and DSU’s campuses).

invalid

Banned
Daps
There's another thread containing "TheShadeRoom" links claiming Mississippi has only three HBCUs. I'm about tired of these "black-owned" entities always missing the mark. The excuses waiving away their incompetence has run out.

I'm surprised Rust College isn't on the list. It's enrollment has historically been very low. But since it's a private HBCU they may have just been off the radar. It's one of the HBCU's that I support financially but they are still struggling.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I'm surprised Rust College

Got Rust and Tougaloo as private HBCUs in the Sipp.
Yeah I think this is only about state funded public universities.

Ironically MVSU was founded to attract Black folks from integrating Ole Miss and the other White schools so I wouldn't be shocked if they think it no longer has a purpose.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
yes, the way the bill is set up Delta State, MUW and Valley are under threat. Alcorn provides Ag research, and Medical services to the state along with some Engineering purposes. It also falls under the special consideration mentioned in the bill because of our precedent in our founding being the 1st HBCU land grant in the nation. It has too much historical significance on that campus. Also, Alcorn and Jackson State add too much economic value to the state to try to close them. Alcorn has revitalized the city of Vicksburg with our gameday attractions, JSU does the same for the city of Jackson. I just don't see it happening for those 2 schools.

But... :usure: this is Mississippi, so you should always do your due diligence, we've contacted state reps already and they have assured us that the Bill does not target our institutions but I am concerned with Valley. They are in trouble and have been for quite some time. The Delta area where MS Valley and Delta State are is very hard to get to, does not have interstate access and no viable cities to push commerce and attractions.
Saying all that I am still going to push to dead this bill on site because you cannot trust MS's state legislature, especially since this bill has arrived after the federal government stated that they owe Alcorn State money. We know they do not want to pay this to an HBCU. Historically, they have simply tried to mess with Alcorn, JSU and Valley too many times and you just can't trust.
Thanks for the context and insight.
The fearmongering headline was too good to pass up, so a couple of sites ran with "bu bu but they're trying to close HBCUs" for hits and views.
Roland Martin had MS State Senator Hillman Frazier on a segment about the topic, and he pretty much repeated the points you made, and the pattern of similar bills being introduced every few years and the slim to none chance that the bill goes anywhere.
Unfortunately for RM's views & likes, Mr. Frazier shut the "rumor" down within 4 minutes....and they had to pivot to something else for the remaining 25 minutes of the segment. Hahaha

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Thanks for the context and insight.
The fearmongering headline was too good to pass up, so a couple of sites ran with "bu bu but they're trying to close HBCUs" for hits and views.
Roland Martin had MS State Senator Hillman Frazier on a segment about the topic, and he pretty much repeated the points you made, and the pattern of similar bills being introduced every few years and the slim to none chance that the bill goes anywhere.
Unfortunately for RM's views & likes, Mr. Frazier shut the "rumor" down within 4 minutes....and they had to pivot to something else for the remaining 25 minutes of the segment. Hahaha

I didn't want to say much but yeah

an Alcornite is the head of Mississippi IHL, Alcorn isn't going anywhere :manny:

I am still concerned about MS Valley though

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
@MostReal

Good points. I understand MVSU has trouble finding students and getting funding. Mississippi has leveled the tuition for in and out of state students for Alcorn, JSU, and MVSU but the first two obviously have way more pull out of state due to name recognition, academics, sports, and bands.