system-map.jpg

@DrBanneker @MostReal

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
If I had to guess, I would guess that the schools mentioned are the ones they are targeting(Delta State, Valley, and Miss Univ for Women). 2 are PWI’s, and 1 is an HBCU.

I don’t see JSU or Alcorn being in any danger to close. Alcorn just saw an increase in freshman numbers. JSU is one of the largest HBCU’s, and the 4th largest school in the state.

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
Yeah, Aggie. A few days ago, I saw a fear mongering headline "they're trying to close 3 HBCUs".
I read an article about the story from a local news outlet, and that wasn't the story at all.
Yeah your thread is more accurate… I was like where did it say “they’re trying to close 3 HBCUs” ?

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
be subsidized by the federal government but still cant keep your institutions open.

these crackers are so beholden to their peon esque self interest that they have sabotaged the medium to long term future of their state

any one who spouts "states rights" is a fukking moron and not to be taken seriously

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I mean if enrollment is down, what can be done? They can try to recruit more students of course…but this sounds more like a business play and looking at the numbers than “racism”

At face value, the sponsor of the bill wants to cut costs and redirect resources to the other five public universities.

Lawmakers and officials in that state have framed their other agendas as cost cutting moves recently. So, it was easy to sway people that this was a plot to pull the plug on public HBCUs.

The thing is, Black students attend pwis in that state also. So reducing higher education options in that state will likely have a greater impact on Black students.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
If I had to guess, I would guess that the schools mentioned are the ones they are targeting(Delta State, Valley, and Miss Univ for Women). 2 are PWI’s, and 1 is an HBCU.

I don’t see JSU or Alcorn being in any danger to close. Alcorn just saw an increase in freshman numbers. JSU is one of the largest HBCU’s, and the 4th largest school in the state.

yes, the way the bill is set up Delta State, MUW and Valley are under threat. Alcorn provides Ag research, and Medical services to the state along with some Engineering purposes. It also falls under the special consideration mentioned in the bill because of our precedent in our founding being the 1st HBCU land grant in the nation. It has too much historical significance on that campus. Also, Alcorn and Jackson State add too much economic value to the state to try to close them. Alcorn has revitalized the city of Vicksburg with our gameday attractions, JSU does the same for the city of Jackson. I just don't see it happening for those 2 schools.

But... :usure: this is Mississippi, so you should always do your due diligence, we've contacted state reps already and they have assured us that the Bill does not target our institutions but I am concerned with Valley. They are in trouble and have been for quite some time. The Delta area where MS Valley and Delta State are is very hard to get to, does not have interstate access and no viable cities to push commerce and attractions.
Saying all that I am still going to push to dead this bill on site because you cannot trust MS's state legislature, especially since this bill has arrived after the federal government stated that they owe Alcorn State money. We know they do not want to pay this to an HBCU. Historically, they have simply tried to mess with Alcorn, JSU and Valley too many times and you just can't trust.

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
Facts please elaborate idiot. What’s your take on this issue moron. The report didn’t go into full detail about the numbers…financials, enrollment of each school.

You’re a fukking CAC being here trynna sow discord. bytch ass CAC :pacspit:

Nobody black calls people moron