My NYC Black Folk......Gentrification

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Central Harlem still mostly black for now. But I'm already seeing plenty of cacs and Asians walking by.

BK got more black property owners so it'll hang on longer.
BK is actually the blackest borough in the city. Many don't know that. The White population ACTUALLY has been decreasing.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
you know the funny thing about NYC gentrification is that NYC doesn't lead the nation in income mostly spent on rent (Miami does) or city expense (San Fran does). At least NYC has many opportunities, well at least for me so im good.

For example Im saving to buy a condo in 3 years and make 1100 to 1400 a week driving uber (NOT EVEN FULL TIME), and im putting work into my real estate business. With all these people always renting and the low vacancy rates, theres lots of cash to be made in rental real estate.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Not a native New Yorker but who are moving into these neighborhoods and pricing out the long time residents. I keep hearing different theories. People are saying it's white people from middle America and then one girl I met at this one party says that a lot of young professionals who went to elite schools around the country are starting/have their careers in NYC and can afford the cost of living. Most of the white people I have seen in BK are hipster, coffee boy types on bikes and don't strike me as finance professionals.

Its all sorts of people from hipsters to yuppies, and even black hipster and black yuppies (Which are cool btw). There are many sectors in NYC so with the crime rate being low and the city being healthy people from all over come to get piece of the network.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
What I find is funny is most of the people moving into Brooklyn from west bubble tucky wouldnt even think of even venturing into Brooklyn period if it was any year before 2006. I think what chet who starred in the real world Brooklyn TV show from 2009 said sums it all up perfectly. Basically, someone like him from middle or upper class suburbia out in Utah would NEVER venture into Brooklyn because he was scared that he might get shot. I'll let you figure out why he would think that. My theory is if you didn't have the balls to go into Brooklyn before 2006 for anything then you pretty much should stay your ass in the tourist attractions. I think gentrification is just ignorance and business. The same fools moving into the very same areas where black and brown people would frequent in Brooklyn would freak out if those same black and brown people in Brooklyn moved into their suburb. They would be on some :mjpls: shyt. Unbelievable.

this is true and this is why i get upset when I see black brownstone homeowners listing their homes with White real estate agents because these agents were nowhere to be found before 9/11. Now they are advocates for a neighborhood that they didnt even grow up in.

Also real estate companies like Corcoran and Douglass Elliman are known for having racist agents. Black people are clueless in all walks of life I swear.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York's vanishing shops and storefronts: 'It's not Amazon, it's rent'

This shyt isn't sustainable. Was driving past smith street on my to Church in Downtown Brooklyn and I saw at least 6 empty vacant stores. And it is all over the city. Even big fashion stores are forced to close their stores because of rent. This is not good for the City's long term economic viabilty. Someone in this thread said it best. Vast swaths of NYC is going to look like a empty Ghost town with abandoned buildings and shyt like in the late 60s and 1970s. :francis:

This problem here is simple. Landlords are trying to attract gucci stores and LV stores everywhere ruining the things that made NYC the greatest city. The city was always known as a business owners paradise and not being riddled with commercial brands. Now these landlords what these commercial brands and luxury stores everywhere. Too bad thats not the reality. Greed all around greed

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
this is true and this is why i get upset when I see black brownstone homeowners listing their homes with White real estate agents because these agents were nowhere to be found before 9/11. Now they are advocates for a neighborhood that they didnt even grow up in.

Also real estate companies like Corcoran and Douglass Elliman are known for having racist agents. Black people are clueless in all walks of life I swear.
Very clueless. I worked for a black owned RE for 3 years. They would leave us go to cac agents and get screwed out of the rent or left with horrible cac tenants then come crawling back

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
you know the funny thing about NYC gentrification is that NYC doesn't lead the nation in income mostly spent on rent (Miami does) or city expense (San Fran does). At least NYC has many opportunities, well at least for me so im good.

For example Im saving to buy a condo in 3 years and make 1100 to 1400 a week driving uber (NOT EVEN FULL TIME), and im putting work into my real estate business. With all these people always renting and the low vacancy rates, theres lots of cash to be made in rental real estate.
True indeed.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
`
No the white population is increasing because of the gentrification in Northern Brooklyn but Brooklyn has so much black people that even Bed Stuy is still like 70% black
When I look at census over the years I see the white population going down. Somethings not making sense then.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I know the stereotype is hipseters and yuppies from Ohio or west bumblefukk are moving into the city and jacking up prices but the reality is it’s mostly cats from the tri state area who are moving in. Theyjust don’t stand out like Midwest transplant do

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know the stereotype is hipseters and yuppies from Ohio or west bumblefukk are moving into the city and jacking up prices but the reality is it’s mostly cats from the tri state area who are moving in. Theyjust don’t stand out like Midwest transplant do

Thats true. many of the suburbia areas in the tri state are no different than west bubble fukk though. It's not so much of proximity but the mentality of the residents in those places. The whole sheltered, away from the realities of life, looking down on anybody who doesnt have a high paying job, ready to freak out the moment they see a black or brown person roaming the street. No sense of culture, no idea of diversity, spoiled, entitled, classist, racist, prejudiced, ignorant and etc. Basically, most of city data userbase. In those same suburbs, there's the same yoga studios, craft beer stores, coffee house, Starbucks, whole foods, art galleries and etc on the main streets. Right next door to the same rich, overpriced stores. Then the mansions and million dollar homes on the side streets. It's the 20 and 30 somethings that grew up in those towns that want to move to the inner city working class, poor neighborhoods because it's cool. They export those very same things and ideals into those neighborhoods. That's why they look so out of place. You damn well know those same folks would never take the J train or Q train to Brooklyn back in 2006. Those same folks wouldn't dare go to coney island before they shut it down and made it "Luna park" in the summertime. Now coney island ain't even the fun place it used to be even though it used to be dangerous as hell but still fun nontheless. I still remember my brother and me dragging my father to those pissy, grimey and sometimes bullet ridden arcades in CI back in the day to play mortal kombat 3, tekken 3 and etc back then. The amusement park rides would break down and people would get hurt and even die but that's what was there at the time for people who couldn't afford six flags or had the money or transportation to go out there.

That's why I look at them like :comeon: now like please. They have the nerve to make themselves extra comfortable and look at people who live there or hung out there forever like they're crazy or in the wrong place.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Dip