NAS & J.Cole Cover Vibe Magazine (Looking The Same Age)

WhiteTpimp

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
9OHvbE6.jpg

J. Cole just might’ve let Nas down again. Here in Manhattan’s Neo Studios, as the lanky Fayetteville, N.C., rhymer sways and swaggers for this fashion photo shoot, he requests his idol Tupac’s seething Makaveli album to color the ambience. Meanwhile, hidden behind a collapsible wall, another one of his rap heroes, Nas, is preparing for the camera’s scrutiny, changing into a nostalgic ensemble that could’ve been plucked from Queens, N.Y.’s famed Coliseum street mall in ‘95. In both physical and spiritual forms, hip-hop legends of yesterday and tomorrow are lording the space. And then it happens.

http://www.atlnightspots.com/nas-j-cole-cover-vibe-magazine/

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
j cole looks like he went to the drake school of facial expressions and what is it with you dudes and drooling over nas face

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Why does nas have eyeliner on

Why is J.Cole hunched over with a creepy ass stare, they need to get a taller camera man

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Lol at Nas wearing a struggle cap and Coles whole outfit strugglin pause.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Props on the link, articles a good read. Full thing below.

LYRICS TO GO

Nas and J. Cole are no big brother and heir apparent duo. They’re two masterful wordsmiths forever stuck on the realness. Dressed in American classic brands, the super MCs connect on the power of the pen

STORY: John Kennedy l PHOTOS: Steven Geomillion & Dennis Leupold

J. Cole just might’ve let Nas down again. Here in Manhattan’s Neo Studios, as the lanky Fayetteville, N.C., rhymer sways and swaggers for this fashion photo shoot, he requests his idol Tupac’s seething Makaveli album to color the ambience. Meanwhile, hidden behind a collapsible wall, another one of his rap heroes, Nas, is preparing for the camera’s scrutiny, changing into a nostalgic ensemble that could’ve been plucked from Queens, N.Y.’s famed Coliseum street mall in ‘95. In both physical and spiritual forms, hip-hop legends of yesterday and tomorrow are lording the space. And then it happens.

This little nikka named Nas thinks he live like me.

Tupac’s infamous challenge from “Against All Odds”momentarily wraps the studio in discomfort. It’s like watching an X-rated movie scene with your parents. “Nah, turn that off,” says Cole, 28, flashing a sheepish smile. He opts for the less badass All Eyez on Me instead. “I didn’t realize.”

PHOTO GALLERY: BEHIND-THE-SCENES FLICKS OF NAS & J. COLE

Still, no awkward DJing can quell the bromancing shared by Jermaine Cole and his prophyte Nasir Jones today, a respect jelled in wax on“Let Nas Down,” Cole’s conflicted explanation for pandering to radio standards. Just days before this shoot, the mellow vet responded with his own genuine endorsing remix, knighting Jay-Z’s star student as a young rap valedictorian. Yet, the coronation had already been earned, thanks in part to J. Cole’s moody sophomore LP, Born Sinner, which outpaced its release date rival Kanye West’s Yeezus by scoring No. 1 in it’s third week on Billboard charts on its way to RIAA Gold Certification. Nas’ pen is still Ginsu-sharp as well. The impossibly 39-year-old face of Hennessy’s Wild Rabbit campaign is already antsy about diving into his 11th solo studio album, the follow-up to last year’s renaissance project Life Is Good.

“I told you before I need some tracks—your shyt’s tight,”Nas insists to Cole. ‘Pac has been silenced, and the two rap geniuses now are plopped on a black leather couch in the studio’s posterior. “We need to do more shyt [together] ‘cause it just makes you sharper as an MC.” They trade schedules for a hypothetical future studio session. But today, the meticulous lyricists have assembled to talk the art of rhyme, from conception to the vocal booth. It was written, and here, it is told.

VIBE: This is the first time you two are seeing each other since Nas dropped his response record to “Let Nas Down.” We’ve heard J. Cole’s take on your critique of “Work Out,” but what was your initial response?

NAS: When I heard Cole on Friday Night Lights, I was like, “Yo, this kid is nice! Who the fukk is this?” I’m listening like, “Wow.” No one makes me want to write; he made me want to write. So of course I couldn’t wait for the whole album. I’m wondering are you gonna be underground? Commercial? Only the finest artists can balance that. And I was looking for his first single to be a disgusting, gritty kinda record that would change things.

J. COLE: You ain’t gotta be nice about it. You can be like, “Yo, I hated that shyt.”

NAS: Fast forward, I’m in the studio with No I.D., who’s a hip-hop purist, and he’s like, “I gotta play this [‘Work Out’] record.” And he had a face like he was disappointed. You know that face, too.

J. COLE: I already know, man. Like he’s hurt.

NAS: He’s hurt. So I’m already prepared to be hurt. So when it comes on, it got all the things that you need to be on the radio; there was a noise in the track I was a little annoyed with. I’m like, “Damn, what is this bullshyt?” ’Cause my man can change this whole shyt. The part that really fukked me up was the “Straight up, now tell me” part.
[All laugh]

NAS: I wanted to throw something out the window. ’Cause you know what it made me do? I said, “Do I [need to] make this kind of a record?” I questioned myself ’cause I’m like this is the guy, here. I play it again, and now I’m pissed. I’m mad. It ruined my session. We sat there and just talked about Cole and his art.

J. COLE: On the flip side, when I added that Paula Abdul part, I was so excited. I been plotting on using that since I was 14. I had a song with my mans. We had a group together, and it was a flip on that. It was a victory for me—it was self-produced. I wrote the shyt, I ain’t have no big feature. And I had a single that would finally work. But I can absolutely see the other side of it. The fans were like, “Oh my God.” Now I can laugh about this shyt.

NAS: At the end of the day, it’s a clever record. Don’t get it twisted. ’Cause like when Cole says, “You the guy that made ‘You Owe Me,’ and shyt” [on “Let Nas Down”]—which killed me. When I heard that, I was laughing my ass off—I was like touché. That’s my shyt, for the record. But like I said in the [“Let Nas Down”] remix, on my fourth album I got a lot of different fans that I’m tryna holla at. So you’re trying shyt like that. But on album one is when you make that spark that lasts forever. It was a good album, though. And now he’s done it again. So you good in my book.

J. COLE: They say you got your whole life to make your first album. For me, I had to give so much of my life stories, so much of my rhymes on the mixtapes The Come Up, The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights. My first album was like my fourth. I had a conversation with Jay after I played him “Let Nas Down,” and the nikka was like, “I got to figure my shyt out on Vol. 1.; I already had my classic Reasonable Doubt in the stash.” To me, “Work Out” was successful, and I’m happy for it. But it was still me learning how to balance. I gave you “Crooked Smile,” I gave you “Power Trip.” That’s how you maintain yourself. When Jay did“Sunshine,” that was a learning lesson. They play that right now, the nikka would probably run out of the room. But he probably wouldn’t have been able to make “Hard Knock Life” had he not tried to make “Sunshine.”

NAS: Definitely.

When you first heard J. Cole, did you understand the comparisons that people were making?
NAS: I didn’t look at it like that. I wanted to make my own opinion. I was like, let’s hear what he’s saying. He’s his own man, and I listened to it from that point of view. I wasn’t looking for me in him. I been inspired by tons of people; he’s been inspired by tons of people. When we do what we do, we sound like us. To me, Cole sounds like Cole. There can be some things I listen to and I wonder if I inspired that or if it’s something I would’ve thought of or would’ve tried to rhyme or whatever, but that’s him. That’s a great compliment that there’s someone who likes what I do—because this dude is nice, so you’re bigging me up.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
J. COLE: shyt, it’s like of course you’re gonna see hints because that shyt in my DNA. I studied him so much, it’s always gonna spill out some way. But it’s a lotta nikkas in my DNA, just like there’s a lot in him. You see Kobe do a fade-away and you be like, “Okay, that’s Jordan.” There’s hints of everybody in these guys’ game, but what makes me my own man, what makes him his own man is that we develop. You gravitate towards what you like. I studied Eminem; he wasn’t studying Eminem. He was studying nikkas that Eminem was studying, so he already had his DNA settled. Of course you gon’ hear lines—I write like, “Damn my nikka Nas would’ve been proud of this shyt, with the rhyme schemes.”

One commonality is that you’re both great hip-hop storytellers. What makes for a good story? Are there specific approaches you guys take?

NAS: Details. When I write a story, I just wanna tell you what’s in my head. It can come from real life and then turn into fantasy, stuff just rhyming. And write about what you know. I just like to tell stories that have not been told or [told] from my perspective. When I pick up albums I’m looking for stories. Tell me something that’s going on other than the fact that you the shyt.

J. COLE: That’s real. It’s no coincidence that all the greatest rappers—whoever you put in your top five—I guarantee you they a great storyteller. B.I.G. could paint that picture, but his flow is like liquid. This nikka [Nas] paint a picture, and his shyt so detail-oriented. And then he’ll come and give you the conversational piece of it. Like, he’ll put himself in the shoes from the perspective of himself then go back to describing shyt. With some people it’s too much detail. He balances the detail with action and a real beginning, middle and end—and emotion. To me, emotion makes the best stories. ’Pac is one of the illest lyricists, but that’s why his stories are so fukking crazy ’cause he’s gonna give you the emotion.

Is hip-hop lyricism experiencing a renaissance now? What’s the state of the genre?

J. COLE: It’s heading into another golden era. It might not be there just yet, but it’s getting there. Look at the options you got right now. I remember around the time Hip Hop Is Dead was coming out, I knew why you was saying it. Rap was a fukking joke. It was a singles-driven market. But even when I was unsigned, I knew with what I was doing that this was gon’ turn around. I didn’t know at the same time that Kendrick was somewhere studying, going hard. Drake was somewhere studying, going hard. nikkas is getting back to caring about rapping again. And really taking this shyt seriously, clowning nikkas that’s wack. There’s a real divided line of nikkas that can rap and nikkas that just can’t. And you can get your money and it’s all good. We still respect you and we gon’ play your song. But when you look at these guys, way different.

Does today remind you of the era you came up with in the ’90s?

NAS: Yes, and it’s the first time since that time that that’s happened. This is a special time right now. I’m happy I can see it. Just hearing Cole saying he got me on Hip Hop Is Dead means a lot. The fact that I’m seeing him, Kendrick, Drake and the dudes that’s out there... I was just talking to Diddy, and he was like, “Yo, do you see what’s going on right now? It’s happening again.” He was excited.

J. COLE: It’s fukked up to say this, but it’s true—when we was kids, there was a lack of respect for the nikkas that molded you. We ain’t know better, but we definitely lacked our homework. I had to go back and do homework on KRS, Kane, Kool G Rap. They fizzled out and weren’t really relevant to us. You might see Rakim come back with another album, all the older heads will be like, “Oh shyt!” And the younger kids were like, “nikka so what?”disrespectfully. But I love to see now that “Let Nas Down” and “Made Nas Proud”is important. Like, you’re just as important to them as me because they know how important you are to us. The fact that you’re still relevant, your pen is still crazy and you still making great music—that didn’t happen before. The legends are carrying over. Jay is still relevant. Nas—not just relevant, but y’all nikkas is still on top. It’s crazy.

The difference is that the Kanes and KRSes sounded more dated in comparison to the mid-’90s rappers. Aesthetically, there’s more continuity between the previous two generations
NAS: Yeah, but they had to come around to that. There was a moment when nobody wanted to hear our older albums. Maybe it was the South rising up or that music was changing altogether. It seemed like for maybe a two-to-three-year period, our older albums were forgotten. But that happens with everything. We benefitted off lessons we’ve learned. Tony Montana taught us a lot. Never get high off your own supply. The other generation that saw that same movie, it was too late. They were caught in the rapture of the times, so it just only so far they could go. Whether they was high on ego or the industry was doing our brothers bad back then.

J. COLE: It’s evolution. Next generation will learn from the previous one.

Is there any question that you two have wanted to ask each other?

J. COLE: I got mad questions.

NAS: [Laughs]

J. COLE: He’s a historian; a lot of people don’t know that. This nikka knows all the facts. Let’s see... Just for a history lesson, who—if anybody—has the other versions of “Ether” and why haven’t they ever leaked? Do they exist or are they gone?

NAS: You know what’s crazy? I never think about that song, I don’t know the rhymes to that song, it’s blank. I’d rather not talk about that one.

J. COLE: Okay, I got another. On [“We Will Survive”] you talk about not going to B.I.G.’s funeral. Was that on purpose, you wasn’t in town or you just couldn’t bring yourself to go. Or was there another reason?

NAS: Man, me and Biggie were the biggest artists in New York. When he passed, I was so messed up. My attitude was messed up about him dying. There was an East-West thing back then, and I was in war mode. My attitude, my disposition, it wasn’t good to be around people, especially at a funeral for somebody I cared so much about. I paid my respects from home, man. Sent my prayers, and I didn’t wanna deal with the fanaticism of the sensationalized hip-hop superstar funeral.

J. COLE: It was almost like a party, the who’s who.

NAS: I couldn’t deal with that. I miss my brother to this day. I always think about what he’d be like, what he’d sound like to this day. I just couldn’t do it.

You both infuse very personal portions of your life into music. Talk of family and relationships come up often. How do you go about that before you put that out? Is there a thought like, “Maybe I should hold back?” Are there preliminary conversations that take place with people mentioned?

J. COLE: My shyt be like, “Whew, did this nikka just say that?” So I do be feeling compelled [to let] X-Y-Z hear it. I have this song on my first album called “Breakdown” talking about my pops. I ain’t play it for him. He just had to hear that on his own. But it did spark a conversation. We weren’t on as good of terms when I wrote the song as we were when it was released. We’ve become better friends. So by the time he heard it, it made it even better. That’s what I do. I’m like an introvert. I may say some shyt on the song before I say it [in convo].

NAS: It’s therapy for you.

J. COLE: Exactly.

“She Knows” off Born Sinner was an especially touchy take on relationships.

J. COLE: [Looks over both shoulders] Yeah, man. That’s for another conversation.

NAS: You pretty brave. You say some things on the record, bro. Yeah, we gon’ leave it alone. I’m pretty fukked up with that. Anybody I’m dating, I don’t want them to talk about my music. I don’t talk about my music to them. Anybody that’s dating me probably thinks I’m crazy because they like, “I thought he was a rapper.” I played [“Bye Baby”] for my ex because the time presented itself and it was about both of us.

Your divorce with Kelis, among other struggles, motivated much of Life Is Good. What’s the inspiration behind the next album?

NAS: Life. I feel like Alexander Graham Bell, knowing that he’s about to do something that’s never been done. I’m bursting with excitement, but focused more than I’ve been in the past. I’m at a place where there’s so many things that ain’t been said. Things I’ve seen that I never talked about that I wanna share. I’m so excited to tell this story because it’s real shyt. It’s needed. I hate to sound like that—to say it’s needed for hip-hop—but fukk it. It is.

Kendrick Lamar said he needed Nas on “Sing About Me, I’m Dying of Thirst” from his good kid, m.A.A.d. city album.

NAS: That would’ve been an honor. This is the first time since that [golden] era that rap has come back, so it would’ve been an honor. I would love to [collaborate].

Hip-hop is obviously a competitive sport, but when is the last time an artist outshined you on a track?

NAS: I’m sure there were enough times I wasn’t the shiniest nikka. It happens. I don’t [feel] every record I do with somebody is a battle. I just do my best. So if you outshine me and it’s a great record because of it, we win.

J. COLE: You always know that’s gonna be a conversation. But you don’t always necessarily give a fukk. Jay-Z did his “Mr. Nice Watch” verse after mine—I didn’t even know he was gonna get on the song. My competitive side was like, “Yo, I wanna change my fukking verse ’cause this nikka just got on here and went crazy.” Timing-wise, I had to turn in my album. [But] he made my song better by going that hard, so it’s cool. I’ll take that one.

NAS: If me and Cole are on a track, they gonna talk about whose verse is the illest. Our boys are gon’ be like, “Yo, you gotta smoke him on that.”That’s what rap is all about. That’s how it should always be.