Nas - King's Disease II (Discussion Thread)

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to rank certains albums. Illmatic iww stillmatic and lost tapes are pretty much a lock a the top, the 2004 2008 era and nasir are at the bottom, but after that all the rest are down to preferences
I actually really like untitled. But I agree streets disciple and hip hop is dead are definitely towards the bottom.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I heard Nas hated HHID, at least that's what Anthony Saleh said years ago. Would you know anything about that or why Nas hates the album?

If I had to guess the messaging got lost and he kinda coasted on half the album (The Scientist not even being finished cause he had to go to his surprise party for instance).

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
If I had to guess the messaging got lost and he kinda coasted on half the album (The Scientist not even being finished cause he had to go to his surprise party for instance).

I always felt like the title overshadowed the music because whenever that album comes up, literally nobody talks about the songs outside of "Who Killed It?" There are great songs on the album, but it has the same problem that Street's Disciple has in that the track list/sequencing didn't do it any favors.

If the album looked more like this, it could have been a four-mic project at least:

Money Over Bullshyt
Carry on Tradition
Where Are They Now
Hip Hop is Dead
Black Republican
Still Dreaming
Not Going Back
Hold Down the Block
Let There Be Light
Play on Playa
Hustlers
You Mean the World to Me
Can't Forget About You
Hope (original version)
Where Y'all At (hidden bonus track)

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I always felt like the title overshadowed the music because whenever that album comes up, literally nobody talks about the songs outside of "Who Killed It?" There are great songs on the album, but it has the same problem that Street's Disciple has in that the track list/sequencing didn't do it any favors.

If the album looked more like this, it could have been a four-mic project at least:

Money Over Bullshyt
Carry on Tradition
Where Are They Now
Hip Hop is Dead
Black Republican
Still Dreaming
Not Going Back
Hold Down the Block
Let There Be Light
Play on Playa
Hustlers
You Mean the World to Me
Can't Forget About You
Hope (original version)

I mean for 2006 standards (a time which admittedly has aged better than I thought it would) I thought it was 4 mic album, but its probably a 3.5-3.75 cause there was better albums out. The filler isnt terrible other than Not Going Back, but the highs are high on the album which I thought were enough to carry it above 3.5 mics. I still think its on the border of a top 10 album that year.

Streets Disciple is an album I really liked, but people dont really rock with the relationship stuff on there even though I dont think the songs are produced badly. Of course if you reduce it to one album its amazing but there was also some heat he left off (Serious, Talk of NY, Good Morning, the original Disciple with the G Rap beat)

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been saying it’s the best, it’s the biggest sounding album they did…sounded like the only one that he was trying to make sound “big”. Shoulda promo’d it more and dropped more records, it has a litany of jawns on there

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I heard Nas hated HHID, at least that's what Anthony Saleh said years ago. Would you know anything about that or why Nas hates the album?
I think because Nas realizes what that title means. I think if you have a title of an album called hip hop is dead it truly needs to be remembered as a hip hop classic.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain

Money Over Bullshyt
Carry on Tradition
Where Are They Now
Hip Hop is Dead
Black Republican
Still Dreaming
Not Going Back
Hold Down the Block
Let There Be Light
Play on Playa
Hustlers
You Mean the World to Me
Can't Forget About You
Hope (original version)

Hip hop is dead was one of his worst single, from the choice of sample (who sample the same song twice ? ) to the video

Hustlers would have flow better on doctor's advocate and Why you hate the game on hhid

Never was a fan of You mean the world to me, the sample drown the vocals too much

Il like blunt ashes and the black hollywood stories nas is telling on the record

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hip hop is dead was one of his worst single, from the choice of sample (who sample the same song twice ? ) to the video

Hustlers would have flow better on doctor's advocate and Why you hate the game on hhid

Never was a fan of You mean the world to me, the sample drown the vocals too much

Il like blunt ashes and the black hollywood stories nas is telling on the record

"Hip Hop Is Dead" wouldn't have been a bad song if it was as lyrically dope as "Thief's Theme" without the "Hip Hop Is Dead" trope. I didn't mind the sample, the song itself was just unfocused and underwhelming as a lead single especially since it was titled "Hip Hop Is Dead". "Money Over BS" sounded like everything I imagined "Hip Hop Is Dead" to be as a song.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

Using the same samples from "Thief's Theme" and "Made You Look" was a genius idea considering the concept of the album. I don't if will.i am intended this, but when Nas heard the beat, he thought it was hilarious and played it for Salaam Remi because they knew what they had.

I think "Hustlers" could have been on Doctor's Advocate, but the whole point of that album is Game doing it without Dre. I don't think Nas even knew Game would be on the song because they didn't record together. Chances are, it could have been for Detox/Doctor's Advocate and Nas got his hands on it later. "Why You Hate the Game" feels too much like Game's song. It's a great way to end Doctor's Advocate.

But what you said about switching songs actually works for Untitled/LAX ("Make the World Go Round" and "Letter to the King" both sound out of place).

"Blunt Ashes" isn't a trash song, but I always skip it when I'm listening to the album. Maybe it's the beat being too slow and I'm starting to realize I'm not a fan of songs like that (I never liked "Mastermind" for that same reason).

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Using the same samples from "Thief's Theme" and "Made You Look" was a genius idea considering the concept of the album. I don't if will.i am intended this, but when Nas heard the beat, he thought it was hilarious and played it for Salaam Remi because they knew what they had.

I think "Hustlers" could have been on Doctor's Advocate, but the whole point of that album is Game doing it without Dre. I don't think Nas even knew Game would be on the song because they didn't record together. Chances are, it could have been for Detox/Doctor's Advocate and Nas got his hands on it later. "Why You Hate the Game" feels too much like Game's song. It's a great way to end Doctor's Advocate.

But what you said about switching songs actually works for Untitled/LAX ("Make the World Go Round" and "Letter to the King" both sound out of place).

"Blunt Ashes" isn't a trash song, but I always skip it when I'm listening to the album. Maybe it's the beat being too slow and I'm starting to realize I'm not a fan of songs like that (I never liked "Mastermind" for that same reason).

I get the idea behind the double sample use but the execution was bad. Thief's theme was grimey and the clip was too. Hip hop is dead still a mediocre song

I didn't think about the make the world go round and letter to the king switch this would have been actually a great idea

imagine this as the untitled album

1. Queens get the money
2. Esco let's go
3. Black president
4. Be a ni**er too
5. America
6. Legendary
7. Fried chicken
8. Sly fox
10. Testify
11. Louis Farrakhan
12. Project roach
13. Foul breeze
14. Who are you
15. Ni**er
16. Hero (bonus track)

Last edited:

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps

What!!!?