NAS TIRED OF CELEBRATING illmatic

Discussion in 'The Booth' started by waynep, Oct 18, 2019.

1. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

Fab just did an interview. They asked him if he was stuck on a desert island which 3 albums would he bring. He said The Blueprint, It Was Written and What’s The 411. But the streets ain’t fukk wit IWW tho right? Lol. Like I said. THAT album is ur fav rappers fav Nas album a lot of the time. A lot more than people think.

JustCKing and Kaan dapped this.
  2. Cladyclad

Cladyclad The Negg-er Coli loves to hate Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
    Coli Cash:
    $358100.00

U just clowned Fab for his opinion when it came to dudes that made him step up his pen. Now u posting his opinion like it matters :mjlol:

Y’all some wild boys

Wacky D dapped this.
  3. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

I didn’t clown him. I said he buggin because he just did a project wit Jadakiss and he was working with far better lyricist than Drake since he been out for him to be the one to make him go hard. On top of the fact that he’s dropped better verses than the ones he dropped with the songs featuring Jay and Drake.. It’s literally a completely different argument.

4. Wacky D

Wacky D PROVOCATIVE POSTING

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

you were comparing the samples, acting like one was more hip-hop than the other.
    those other beats could've easily been on the ectasy album, right along with "friends".

as for the dark comment, apparently it wasn't dark enough for alot of his base.

I didnt see anybody say that the streets didnt f*ck with IWW at all.
    the problem is, yall just want it one way.

and the blueprint wasn't one of jay's most popular LPs in the streets neither, since we're on that topic.

when did you start mistaking a rapper's opinion for gold anyway??
    EDIT: I dam sure did dap you, clowning fab in that other thread.

5. JustCKing

JustCKing Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Breh, "Friends" is a Hip Hop song made by rappers. "Sugar Free" is an R&B song made by R&B singers. Huge difference in the samples. It doesn't matter what could've made the Ecstasy album. I'm specifically talking about "Friends" vs. "Sugar Free".

^^^ laid back, top down, summertime chilling with my girl type song.

^^^ more uptempo, darker, night time vibe

^^^ Even Lauryn's vocals on this are more somber than they are happy. This song dropped in the summer and still has the feel of a cold winter. Nas is pondering whether life will take him under at the beginning of the song. And of course, purists and those that swore by Illmatic saw this song as a departure because all they saw and heard was Lauryn of The Fugees and a Trackmasters beat and saw "commercial sell out". It's funny because Illmatic sampled Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" and this is after SWV used the sample for "Right Here".

vs.

more happy and upbeat than "If I Ruled The World".

Budda and Tactical dapped this.
  6. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

we're going in circles here.

youre just repeating the same posts in different structures.

7. Budda

Budda All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

truth most of the times the critics aren't the ones with knowledge of Black music or rap.

8. L. Deezy

L. Deezy Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $550000.00

dawg, stfu

you really overstepping in here. He is a true FRIEND of Nas's

You was better on here talking about your glory days in 1975 hangin with Kool Herc

9. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

I clowned Fab definitely. And I never said his opinion was gold. But this is an entirely different issue. This is basically proving that people fukked with IWW the long way and even some even MORE than Illmatic. And The Blueprint wasn’t THE most popular Jay album but was one of. That shyt came out on 9/11 and STILL sold records. And most nikkas I knew already had the bootleg as well. Also. I’m just pointing out that a lot of people have IWW as their fav Nas album. I posted multiple examples of that in this thread. This nikka Big Mel said only goofy nikkas would feel that way and I posted an interview of his favorite rapper this generation saying It’s his fav Nas album.

10. spliz

spliz SplizThaDon

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $344000.00

Fam Wacky is nowhere near that old. Lol

Wacky D dapped this.
  11. L. Deezy

L. Deezy Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $550000.00

Naw, I know..lol

Wacky actually a great poster.

Wacky D dapped this.
  12. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

most of the main critics of this album were black tho.

the OG backpackin purists were black.

and im not even saying I agree with all of the criticisms for IWW. im just saying, lets not act like he wasn't running with a hit-chasing formula.

sallimsayin.

well he better be on Nas' E-team payroll.

otherwise, hes just on his top too hard.

and naw, I didn't run with kool herc. I ran wit bambatta……….wait no...….:whoa:

aiird, so that comment was directed at him. I thought you were talking to everyone who opposed.

as for the blueprint stats, any jay album from that era could've did the same.
    I remember dynasty getting more play right before it.
    I feel like if jada & coincidentally fabulous, dropped great debuts, jay would've been brushed to the side a bit, like DMX at the time.

13. Budda

Budda All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Yep in a way, but Nas was never no backpacker rapper, he was an intelligent street cat, not the Roots, and point still stands a lot of those backpacking purists didn't have a great knowledge of black music or rap, if they did there would not be no criticism.

On his first album he sampled one of the biggest tracks by the biggest pop artist of all time.

And even then, merging Rnb and Soul with rap, is what many backpacker rappers did anyways? Not heard of the Soulquarians? This was around the same period, Nas fits into that crowd, and so does Lauryn!

14. Wacky D

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

illmatic was pretty much backpack to me.

either way, I don't think its moreso about the samples, as opposed to how much of a departure it was from his previous album, the glossiness and most of all, the intent.

the vibes were different as well, in comparison to a "it aint hard to tell".
    the backpacks were def sampling just as much, if not more. its just that Nas clearly tailored half of IWW towards mainstream appeal.

i didn't know the soulquarians were around that long tho. i thought they were like '99-00.

but if i can plug in my oldheads real quick. there was an underground backpack group that used to hang on my block. my pops used to make old school tapes for them to sample chit. they were in the streets tho, so that's prolly why they didn't get far.