Natural Hair In School = Potential Explusion

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
Simply looking like the person you are is deemed "a distraction." The school wants the victim of the bullying to change but I am curious as to what, if any discipline has been given towards the bullies. Schools today - makes you want to home school and avoid the prison grid.

http://www.local10.com/news/african...hair/-/1717324/23165492/-/eo6hiz/-/index.html

hair-jpg.jpg

ORLANDO, Fla. -
An African-American teen says she faces expulsion because administrators at her private school want her to cut and shape her hair.

Vanessa VanDyke said she was given one week to decide to whether cut her hair or leave Faith Christian Academy in Orlando, a school she's been going to since the third grade.

But for now, she and her mother do not plan to change her hair because it is part of the 12-year-old's identity. But her natural hair style comes with a cost.

"It says that I'm unique," said VanDyke. "First of all, it's puffy and I like it that way. I know people will tease me about it because it's not straight. I don't fit in."

VanDyke said that first the teasing from other students, but now, school leaders seem to be singling her out for her appearance.

Faith Christian Academy has a dress code and rules against how students can wear their hair. The student handbook reads: "Hair must be a natural color and must not be a distraction," and goes on to state examples that include, but are not limited to, mohawks, shaved designs and rat tails.

"A distraction to one person is not a distraction to another," said VanDyke's mother, Sabrina Kent. "You can have a kid come in with pimples on his face. Are you going to call that a distraction?"

VanDyke said she's had her large, natural hair all year long, but it only became an issue after the family complained about students teasing her about her hair.

"There have been bullies in the school," said Kent. "There have been people teasing her about her hair, and it seems to me that they're blaming her."

"I'm depressed about leaving my friends and people that I've known for a while, but I'd rather have that than the principals and administrators picking on me and saying that I should change my hair," said VanDyke.

"I'm going to fight for my daughter," Kent said. "If she wants her hair like that, she will keep her hair like that. There are people out there who may think that natural hair is not appropriate. She is beautiful the way she is."

School administrators responded to an email asking about the issue, but did not provide any answers to questions.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
LOL they might as well say "we dont want the ****** in our schools" breh. This is what its comin down to mane. Cacs not givin a fukk and straight up dehumanizing our children. Thank God I dont have any kids in this world, man, because somebody gon think they can get a sneak diss in on my offspring and ill be facing 25

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Am I the only one feeling that they are trying to kill the natural hair movement though :patrice:, they understand black women are starting to wake up and find some self confidence to wear their natural hair and go against the grains of the standard of beauty and they are trying to kill it. Or maybe I'm just over thinking.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
this type of bullshyt seriously makes me mad as hell :pacspit: The parents of this little girl need to go to the higher ups of the school districts and fight this bullshyt. This lil girl is wearin her hair the way it grows out of her head and she is being penalized for it. Non black kids can wear their hair as it grows out of their head and they get no problems from the administration :mindblown:

Last edited:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL