Natural Hair In School = Potential Explusion

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
it's a BS rule but it's in the handbook. the school buckled under the media pressure but i don't think they would have lost in court if they would have gotten sued.

I think the school could have potentially lost in court. The fact this family challenged the bs rule shows that many bs rules will crumble if challenged. If not challenged, the next girl would have suffered and then the next. People need to stop being submissive. Never compromise with evil - it is the worst thing you can do.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the school could have potentially lost in court. The fact this family challenged the bs rule shows that many bs rules will crumble if challenged. If not challenged, the next girl would have suffered and then the next. People need to stop being submissive. Never compromise with evil - it is the worst thing you can do.
it's not about being submissive or not imo. the school can put in any rule they want in their handbook as long as it's legal and doesn't violate her civil rights. the girl's parents can either choose that private school or another school. I think asking the girl to perm her hair or to but it is extreme and then maybe she would have won in court. but asking her to have her hair kept just like they would ask a white girl to have her hair kept (although a silly rule imo) is within their right. little girl can then choose to either stay and conform, leave or stay and defy. like i said, the school buckled under pressure and more power to the little girl for winning that battle but legally i don't think she would have won if they had just asked her to put it in a ponytail. But it might not be worth the legal fees and bad press for the school either...

Chelsea Bridge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's not about being submissive or not imo. the school can put in any rule they want in their handbook as long as it's legal and doesn't violate her civil rights. the girl's parents can either choose that private school or another school. I think asking the girl to perm her hair or to but it is extreme and then maybe she would have won in court. but asking her to have her hair kept just like they would ask a white girl to have her hair kept (although a silly rule imo) is within their right. little girl can then choose to either stay and conform, leave or stay and defy. like i said, the school buckled under pressure and more power to the little girl for winning that battle but legally i don't think she would have won if they had just asked her to put it in a ponytail. But it might not be worth the legal fees and bad press for the school either...

If they let the other kids wear their natural hair out with no complaints, she should be able to wear hers out as well.

ExpensiveThrillz

Head In The Cloudz
Daps
Reppin
The Free & The Uplifted
this article pissed me off on so many levels when i read it yesterday...

black women are the only group of women who are constantly reprimanded, called out on, and otherwise negatively referenced to no matter the way we wear our hair....weave = hair hats to hide baldness or to look white, long natural hair = distractions and/or being mixed with something because we can't apparently have long healthy hair without the influence of other races's "good hair", short = bald or trying to be a man, short natural = ugly, unbecoming, not professional

'scust

Daps
Reppin
Cashville, 10
This appears to be a 'thing' nowadays.

Child forced to switch schools because of hairstyle
As the new school years gets underway, a 7-year-old student in Oklahoma has been forced to change schools because the school did not like her hairstyle. Tiana Parker and her father Terrance Parker join NewsNation to discuss.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar

Rules can be overrun. Certain golf courses had rules which seemed anti-common sense, discriminatory and elitist yet hid behind "tradition, private rules" and so forth. That got struck down. This case is no different. This school, if challenged in court, would have to make the horrible argument that black/partial black natural hair by itself is naturally a "distraction." Meaning black/partial black hair MUST be managed. Then the whole argument would get down to whether you take care of yourself or not. So they would argue even if her natural hair is well taken care of, it is still "a distraction." Completely illogical.

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
"A distraction to one person is not a distraction to another," said VanDyke's mother, Sabrina Kent. "You can have a kid come in with pimples on his face. Are you going to call that a distraction?"

She has sense.

"I'm going to fight for my daughter," Kent said. "If she wants her hair like that, she will keep her hair like that. There are people out there who may think that natural hair is not appropriate. She is beautiful the way she is."

A good mother.

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
That is true, didn't think of that.
just make sure you adquetly socialize them during non school hours. Put them in after school recreation programs, let them play with the neighborhood kids, etc.

You will just have to go the extra mile but it should be worth it

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Time to throw Florida in the :trash:

5sd.gif

Negged