Net Neutrality: The War To Destroy the Internet

Payday23

Superstar
Daps
Wouldnt this spur new ISP providers to spring up?
The barrier to entry is expensive. Local governments gave these isps monopolies. Hell Chattanooga had to go to court to be able to run their own fiber because it violated the deal the local government gave away.

From wiki

When EPB first turned on the fiber-optic network for internet, customers were getting up to ten times the speed to which they were accustomed. Even those with lower-priced internet tiers saw their speeds nearly double. The service now has reached up to 10 Gbit/s. Using fiber-optic technology is much cheaper, since the price of internet went down almost $300 per month when they started using the new technology.[8] In 2010, EPB introduced enQuesta 4 to their arsenal of security tools.[9]

Using a 100% fiber-optic communicationnetwork as its backbone, EPB has created a Smart Grid. The grid is a next-generation electric system that includes communication capabilities designed to reduce the impact of power outages, improve response time, and allow customers greater control of their electric power usage. This same fiber optic backbone allows EPB to offer high-speed Internet, TV, and phone service to business and residential customers in the service area.[1] In September 2010, EPB became the first company in the United States to offer one gigabit-per-second Internet speed, a critical component of next generation technology innovation and economic development, to more than 175,000 homes and businesses. This exclusive capability has attracted worldwide attention and earned Chattanooga the nickname "Gig City."[2]

The small city of Chattanooga, Tennessee, has played a large role in the movement to expand high-speed internet around the US. It wanted to build its own municipal fiber network, but was sued by incumbents like Comcast. After winning in court, Chattanooga built its own high-speed offering, but was prevented from expanding this offering to neighboring areas by state laws. Earlier this year, the FCC voted to overturn those restrictions. And today Comcast has come crawling back, announcing it will begin offering its own 2-gigabit service in Chattanooga.
Comcast sued a city trying to build high-speed internet — then offered its own version

Judo

Producer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LevelUp+ 2020 & Beyond
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/7kbs05
Netflix, do us a favor if you go through with this. Have whatever ISP you sue show how much it costs them to actually send 1gb of data. I've read studies that show it costs mere pennies. So when I spend 79 dollars a month for my internet, 5% of that money goes to sending data to and from my house. The other 95% should be used by the ISPs to better equip their infrastructure for the future. For when 4k streaming is the norm. How many dips into the pie should ISPs have? I pay for data to be sent. Now netlfix, Hulu, Amazon video should have to also pay the telecoms? It's ridiculous.

So I see this a lot, and I want to make it clear. It is absolutely extremely cheap for ISPs to have data.

Remember:

The internet is NOT formed by the ISPs. The internet is a collection of servers (read: computers with tons of folders you can access from anywhere). The ISPs control the connections.... actually, they don't even do that, since connections are controlled by the tunneling mechanisms the servers have.

All the ISPs have at this point is the wiring. They are double/triple dipping on their measly pennies wiring and making a KILLING off it.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The ISPs are NOT content providers. We, the people of the world, the ones who build the websites and host them in the servers and server farms are the content providers. The ISPs are trying to get on that. fukk those skeevy ass bytches. They are trying to take what we rightfully made and is passing it on as their own thing.

:ohhh:

:francis:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I still can't get over the fact that they can do whatever the fukk they want regardless of what the people think. What kind of democracy is that?

Remember...the Pledge of Allegiance clearly state that the USA is a republic...democracy is in the fine print....like super tiny...like on the corner of the Constitution yet promoted by loudspeaker

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
The irony is that the Federal govt relies heavily on the internet to send information, to post information and to query data for government databases. They may have just cut off their noses to spite their face with this move.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
The irony is that the Federal govt relies heavily on the internet to send information, to post information and to query data for government databases. They may have just cut off their noses to spite their face with this move.

This won't slow down the gov't

They still using Windows Vista

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I still can't get over the fact that they can do whatever the fukk they want regardless of what the people think. What kind of democracy is that?

:mjlol:

Time to start calling it what it is/isn't. We don't have a democracy.

Again, this is another case of "real life" vs "ideals": When you see the number 5 in the real world, you don't call it a stoplight. The same here.

Anybody calling this a democracy is either crazy, doesn't know what a democracy is, is ignorant or has been/is being lied to.

If enough people can recognize we don't have a democracy, that's when we can start to solve problems.

The fact that people think this is a democracy is giving that fake sense of security, which is one of the mechanisms that allows those in power to get away with whatever they want. "Don't worry about ____, this is a democracy and that means you can trust those in office to make good decisions!"

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:heh: Not true tho. You think this will affect everyone else except the Feds?

If this thing really goes into effect then the feds gonna have to PAY for those high connection speeds...:francis: Ot it's gonna be discounted for them by the ISP's but now this gives the ISP's control over their networks :heh: Unless they have some sort of deal with them....:jbhmm:

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
PDyvOxW.jpg