New York Rappers Get Catapulted Into Greatness With The Smallest Sample Size

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's like the people that rate them have no respect for longevity and body of work.. I've seen ONE good project place rappers into the conversation of all time greats...

Now I'm aware that things like untimely death o prison can make you try to forecast what they COULD have been and give them honorable mentions.. But this sh1t has gone too far imo..

Big L-No classic albums, 1 good album and a handful of punch line heavy features..

Big Pun-1 Classic album and 1 weed plate. That's it. And dudes have the nerve to say he would be the GOAT if he wasn't Latino.

Slick Rick-1 Classic album. 4 total retail releases in almost 30 years.

Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...

Lauryn Hill- From Jersey but same sh1t. 1 Classic group album and 1 Classic Soul album where she only raps on 50% of the songs. Hasn't done sh1t for almost 20 years.

Mos Def- 1 regional classic and an overrated group album. Moved to Africa to duck child support. No grind.

GZA- Classic Swords and a handful of great Wu Tang verses.

Big Daddy Kane- Reign on the top was shorter than leps. Debut classic, really good follow up. Hasn't charted in 20 years.

I agree with the general point of what you're saying but a few things:

1. Even 1 classic album is a great accomplishment. Most artists in any genre of music can't say they have even one classic album. By your own admission most of your list has at least one.

2. The longevity argument doesn't make sense for some of your points. Jada has no classic albums....ok cool, your opinion....but no longevity? :dahell:

The same goes for Slick Rick. He came out in 1985, dropped a critically acclaimed gold album in 1999, and was still killing features against new rappers, 15 years later. Ok he ain't made noise in a while....but dude had a run for 15-20 years....what more do you want?

Also Slick Rick borderline pioneered story telling in rap. So you're not even taking into account other aspects of greatness.

3. Three people from your list died....you know the routine. Death = you're gonna be over rated all to hell. In any thing, not just rap, and not just the east coast. And "LAD" ain't classic. :heh:

I mean....people from other regions give artists GOAT passes for less shyt than this. Andre is my favorite rapper all-time but he's erroneously in a bunch of GOAT discussions with no solo album. UGK got one gold album in 20 years, but people claim they're a GOAT level group. Does longevity mean just putting out music, or do people have to care about it?

Fred.

Last edited:

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
I agree, especially with Big Pun, Lauryn Hill, Big L.....

Even Biggie to me.....

People don't want to put Andre 3000 in the top 10 because he never did a solo album but meanwhile he has probably released 3x as many verses as Big has out there....

Yeah, I've noticed that with a lot of NY rappers...
Except putting Andre in the top 10 is like putting a DH in the all time top 10 of great everyday players. Andre has only had to do one thing well for his entire career. It's A LOT easier to build a legacy one verse at a time.

3000 has never had to craft entire songs alone, with 3 or 4 full verses, much less entire solo albums. He's been able to unload full clips onto songs, 1 or 1 1/2 verses at a time, instead of having to build the arc of a song. Those are entirely different skills people don't appreciate enough.

He can't be top 10 without a solo album, and that's his fault, because he's clearly scared to drop a solo rap album. And all of that is coming from an Outkast stan....

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...
But how many GOAT level rappers have actually succeeded through multiple eras? Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, and Kanye? There aren't many.

LL didn't really succeed, as much as he just hung around and dropped music in different eras. Same goes for the other legends.

I agree Biggie can no longer be considered the greatest, because Jay and Nas have full careers that have stood the test of time. But aside from them, Biggie's music, skill, impact, and influence still holds up against the rest, and gives him a place in the top 5.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook
I agree with the general point of what you're saying but a few things:

1. Even 1 classic album is a great accomplishment. Most artists in any genre of music can't say they have even one classic album. By your own admission most of your list has at least one.

2. The longevity argument doesn't make sense for some of your points. Jada has no classic albums....ok cool, your opinion....but no longevity? :dahell:

The same goes for Slick Rick. He came out in 1985, dropped a critically acclaimed gold album in 1999, and was still killing features against new rappers, 15 years later. Ok he ain't made noise in a while....but dude had a run for 15-20 years....what more do you want?

Also Slick Rick borderline pioneered story telling in rap. So you're not even taking into account other aspects of greatness.

3. Three people from your list died....you know the routine. Death = you're gonna be over rated all to hell. In any thing, not just rap, and not just the east coast. And "LAD" ain't classic. :heh:

I mean....people from other regions give artists GOAT passes for less shyt than this. Andre is my favorite rapper all-time but he's erroneously in a bunch of GOAT discussions with no solo album. UGK got one gold album in 20 years, but people claim they're a GOAT level group. Does longevity mean just putting out music, or do people have to care about it?

Fred.
Explain why the GOAT rapper can't be a group member. What about a group makes a man's rapping worse?

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You can probably claim the same for rappers from other regions also. For example: Andre is routinely brought up in GOAT MC lists and he only has group album rap verses (many, granted are classic) and some feature verses. Not one solo rap album.

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Except putting Andre in the top 10 is like putting a DH in the all time top 10 of great everyday players. Andre has only had to do one thing well for his entire career. It's A LOT easier to build a legacy one verse at a time.

3000 has never had to craft entire songs alone, with 3 or 4 full verses, much less entire solo albums. He's been able to unload full clips onto songs, 1 or 1 1/2 verses at a time, instead of having to build the arc of a song. Those are entirely different skills people don't appreciate enough.

He can't be top 10 without a solo album, and that's his fault, because he's clearly scared to drop a solo rap album. And all of that is coming from an Outkast stan....

Good post. Got to Dre before me. There are rappers from all regions that are catapulted without a large/ prestigious body of work. Look at Kendrick, for example. Some people are already calling him an all time great. I fvcks with him heavy, but I think that's just ridiculous.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps

For an OutKast stan, it sure is weird that you made no mention of the production work Dre did on those albums, his solo included.

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
For an OutKast stan, it sure is weird that you made no mention of the production work Dre did on those albums, his solo included.
Explain what production has to do with being one of the 10 greatest RAPPERS of all time...

Good post. Got to Dre before me. There are rappers from all regions that are catapulted without a large/ prestigious body of work. Look at Kendrick, for example. Some people are already calling him an all time great. I fvcks with him heavy, but I think that's just ridiculous.
I agree. Kendrick is my favorite rapper of this era, but it's too soon. I always like to wait on adding the newest rappers to Top 25/10/5 lists. We have to see how TPAB will age, and he needs a few more albums, so we can see the consistency continue.

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
This dude shytting on the GZA

GZA has one undeniable classic, classic verses on a bunch of Wu related albums and been around for over 20 years and probably never dropped a wack verse. He also has one of the most underrated solo album discographies. He's considered an all time great for a reason.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
You can probably claim the same for rappers from other regions also. For example: Andre is routinely brought up in GOAT MC lists and he only has group album rap verses (many, granted are classic) and some feature verses. Not one solo rap album.

this was already said by hexagram and MLAlien, you parrot :mjlol: And they actually elaborated a bit to flesh out their thoughts.

As usual, you're incapable of contributing an original thought while hating on nikkas that can :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Just came to say Big L first album was a classic.

That other shyt I just chalk it up as some usual a NY nikka came to my town and ran a train on my sister and aunt. Continue big homie.
This doesn't work on people from DC or Philly...who successfully repelled NY and Jamaican invasions with bullets...
Now y'all wear nike boots and have big beards...and say jawn...and wear bright colors.
Like people from PHILLY OR DC.