New York Rappers Get Catapulted Into Greatness With The Smallest Sample Size

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
It's like the people that rate them have no respect for longevity and body of work.. I've seen ONE good project place rappers into the conversation of all time greats...

Now I'm aware that things like untimely death o prison can make you try to forecast what they COULD have been and give them honorable mentions.. But this sh1t has gone too far imo..

Big L-No classic albums, 1 good album and a handful of punch line heavy features..

Big Pun-1 Classic album and 1 weed plate. That's it. And dudes have the nerve to say he would be the GOAT if he wasn't Latino.

Slick Rick-1 Classic album. 4 total retail releases in almost 30 years.

Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...

Lauryn Hill- From Jersey but same sh1t. 1 Classic group album and 1 Classic Soul album where she only raps on 50% of the songs. Hasn't done sh1t for almost 20 years.

Mos Def- 1 regional classic and an overrated group album. Moved to Africa to duck child support. No grind.

GZA- Classic Swords and a handful of great Wu Tang verses.

Big Daddy Kane- Reign on the top was shorter than leps. Debut classic, really good follow up. Hasn't charted in 20 years.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
Real shyt. I was talking about that in the "how hot was jada..." thread. These nikkas get cysed being from New York and nikkas always get upset when they figure out nobody really give a shyt bout these dudes like that outside the east coast.

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
mystatue.png

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
gator king in here with facts. its true. and whats sad is that ny centric hip hop dominated rap music criticism for so long. was almost impossible for a west coast cat to get love. it sbecoming increasingly clear that ice cube is the goat. ny cats need to acknowledge it.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
I agree, especially with Big Pun, Lauryn Hill, Big L.....

Even Biggie to me.....

People don't want to put Andre 3000 in the top 10 because he never did a solo album but meanwhile he has probably released 3x as many verses as Big has out there....

Yeah, I've noticed that with a lot of NY rappers...

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
It's like the people that rate them have no respect for longevity and body of work.. I've seen ONE good project place rappers into the conversation of all time greats...

Now I'm aware that things like untimely death o prison can make you try to forecast what they COULD have been and give them honorable mentions.. But this sh1t has gone too far imo..

Big L-No classic albums, 1 good album and a handful of punch line heavy features..

Big Pun-1 Classic album and 1 weed plate. That's it. And dudes have the nerve to say he would be the GOAT if he wasn't Latino.

Slick Rick-1 Classic album. 4 total retail releases in almost 30 years.

Jadakiss-Zero classics. Bad hairline.

Notorious B.I.G.- 2 classic albums. The greatest argument for a small body of work elite emcee (top 10 is fair). But you can't be the greatest EVER if you haven't succeeded through multiple eras...

Lauryn Hill- From Jersey but same sh1t. 1 Classic group album and 1 Classic Soul album where she only raps on 50% of the songs. Hasn't done sh1t for almost 20 years.

Mos Def- 1 regional classic and an overrated group album. Moved to Africa to duck child support. No grind.

GZA- Classic Swords and a handful of great Wu Tang verses.

Big Daddy Kane- Reign on the top was shorter than leps. Debut classic, really good follow up. Hasn't charted in 20 years.

really_house_of_cards.gif