New York Rappers Get Catapulted Into Greatness With The Smallest Sample Size

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I agree, especially with Big Pun, Lauryn Hill, Big L.....

Even Biggie to me.....

People don't want to put Andre 3000 in the top 10 because he never did a solo album but meanwhile he has probably released 3x as many verses as Big has out there....

Yeah, I've noticed that with a lot of NY rappers...
Cause holding down an album is completely different than dropping verses. So no. Andre 3K doesn't belong as a solo artist. Outkast as a group does.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
this was already said by hexagram and MLAlien, you parrot :mjlol: And they actually elaborated a bit to flesh out their thoughts.

As usual, you're incapable of contributing an original thought :snoop:

:russ:

This f@ggot was lurking, waiting to hop on my d!ck. If you looked I already acknowledged that @MIAlien got to the Andre point before I did. We literally made our posts at about the same time. I didn't see his post, and I didn't see the homie Hex' post either. I just read the first couple posts and decided to reply. And looked who dapped you :laff:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
:russ:

This f@ggot was lurking

speaking of f@aggots lurking

Screen_Shot_2015_11_20_at_11_53_42_AM.png

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
It's like that for MCs in general.....

Might I add that we had to go through NY posters on :hamster: telling us that Uncle Murda had next.....Red Cafe....Maino....

We had to deal with being told this guy was going to be a massive star...

Remember when NYC posters tried to act like Ron Brownz was a super producer?

From about 2003-2010 we had to deal with any little buzz being over blown and even the most average of MCs being hyped up so NYC had something....

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Explain what production has to do with being one of the 10 greatest RAPPERS of all time...

I mean if we're talkin like that, shouldn't we just judge strictly off of spitting then? As opposed to things like song structure..? why are we hangin on classic albums to gauge this, then getting weird when somebody brings up production?

We're either talking top artists or top rappers, and if we're talking top rappers then we should be judging the rapping, not whether somebody had a partner or not. Big Boi standing next to him shouldn't take away from the words Dre is spitting.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I agree with the general point of what you're saying but a few things:

1. Even 1 classic album is a great accomplishment. Most artists in any genre of music can't say they have even one classic album. By your own admission most of your list has at least one.

2. The longevity argument doesn't make sense for some of your points. Jada has no classic albums....ok cool, your opinion....but no longevity? :dahell:

The same goes for Slick Rick. He came out in 1985, dropped a critically acclaimed gold album in 1999, and was still killing features against new rappers, 15 years later. Ok he ain't made noise in a while....but dude had a run for 15-20 years....what more do you want?

Also Slick Rick borderline pioneered story telling in rap. So you're not even taking into account other aspects of greatness.

3. Three people from your list died....you know the routine. Death = you're gonna be over rated all to hell. In any thing, not just rap, and not just the east coast. And "LAD" ain't classic. :heh:

I mean....people from other regions give artists GOAT passes for less shyt than this. Andre is my favorite rapper all-time but he's erroneously in a bunch of GOAT discussions with no solo album. UGK got one gold album in 20 years, but people claim they're a GOAT level group. Does longevity mean just putting out music, or do people have to care about it?

Fred.
All that needs to be said.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I agree with the general point of what you're saying but a few things:

1. Even 1 classic album is a great accomplishment. Most artists in any genre of music can't say they have even one classic album. By your own admission most of your list has at least one.

2. The longevity argument doesn't make sense for some of your points. Jada has no classic albums....ok cool, your opinion....but no longevity? :dahell:

The same goes for Slick Rick. He came out in 1985, dropped a critically acclaimed gold album in 1999, and was still killing features against new rappers, 15 years later. Ok he ain't made noise in a while....but dude had a run for 15-20 years....what more do you want?

Also Slick Rick borderline pioneered story telling in rap. So you're not even taking into account other aspects of greatness.

3. Three people from your list died....you know the routine. Death = you're gonna be over rated all to hell. In any thing, not just rap, and not just the east coast. And "LAD" ain't classic. :heh:

I mean....people from other regions give artists GOAT passes for less shyt than this. Andre is my favorite rapper all-time but he's erroneously in a bunch of GOAT discussions with no solo album. UGK got one gold album in 20 years, but people claim they're a GOAT level group. Does longevity mean just putting out music, or do people have to care about it?

Fred.
One shot you're through with them

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
It's like that for MCs in general.....

Might I add that we had to go through NY posters on :hamster: telling us that Uncle Murda had next.....Red Cafe....Maino....

We had to deal with being told this guy was going to be a massive star...

Remember when NYC posters tried to act like Ron Brownz was a super producer?

From about 2003-2010 we had to deal with any little buzz being over blown and even the most average of MCs being hyped up so NYC had something....

those were dark times :snoop: