Newly elected Baltimore Mayor vetoes 11-3 city council bill to raise minimum wage to $15 by 2022

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
That gradual increase was in play before she won the election. So why campaign as someone willing to go to $15 if you always thought it was dangerous to rush the increase?

Then we're going to sit back and wonder why folks DON'T want to go out and vote.

Plus this is slated to happen over 6 years

Too bad the council doesn't have the extra vote to override the veto

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This might be a moot point of sorts.. or at least one that would need to be settled in court. Maryland state democrats pushed this bullshyt a couple of months back:

Del. Dereck Davis, chairman of the Economic Matters Committee, introduced a bill Wednesday that prohibit any county or municipality from enacting "a law that regulates the wages or benefits provided by an employer other than the county or municipality."

Davis' bill is co-sponsored by Del. Sally Y. Jameson and Del. C.T. Wilson, both Charles County Democrats.

Baltimore lawmakers speak out against state bill that would block city's $15 minimum wage

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
This might be a moot point of sorts.. or at least one that would need to be settled in court. Maryland state democrats pushed this bullshyt a couple of months back:

Del. Dereck Davis, chairman of the Economic Matters Committee, introduced a bill Wednesday that prohibit any county or municipality from enacting "a law that regulates the wages or benefits provided by an employer other than the county or municipality."

Davis' bill is co-sponsored by Del. Sally Y. Jameson and Del. C.T. Wilson, both Charles County Democrats.

Baltimore lawmakers speak out against state bill that would block city's $15 minimum wage

I remember reading about this, I def think it'd go to court

MD Dems on that BS :snoop:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Plus this is slated to happen over 6 years

Too bad the council doesn't have the extra vote to override the veto

That's what also pissed me off about her explanation. So the state is already planning to raise minimum wage to 10.10 by next year, 2018. So why are your price estimations over 7 years and not from the 10.10 in 2018 to 2022?

Seriously what is the hope of pushing a democratic mandate at the federal level when you're constantly getting stabbed in the back by democrats in democrat strongeholds?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

I def remember reading/hearing about this.

How can you push this at the state level and not say this type of thinking supports the republican opposition to minimum wage increases at the fed level? We really are our own worst enemies.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
except if you're employed at MW, you don't have much leverage

$15 would break poor cities like b-more

And not making $15 would break poor families like those in bmore

Do you nikkas not understand what the opposite of not paying people living wages is?

Edit: Seriously the responses from those opposed to $15 minimum wage is telling, because their statements never mention the workers who are in a position to benefit from the increase.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
And not making $15 would break poor families like those in bmore

Do you nikkas not understand what the opposite of not paying people living wages is?
a living wage is a distraction term. It doesn't mean anything in this discussion. You can't keep trotting this out.

I understand you want to help everyone, but theres a standard that has to incorporate all kinds of work across the entire spectrum of job types.

If you're making MW, nothing changes for you except for you get leapfrogged by everyone else.

Some places can't afford $15. Some places can.

Places like B-more need all the attractive job growth incentives they can get. Pushing for higher wages isn't going to attract an already weak business community.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
a living wage is a distraction term. It doesn't mean anything in this discussion. You can't keep trotting this out.

Places like B-more need all the attractive job growth incentives they can get. Pushing for higher wages isn't going to attract an already weak business community.

I rest my case.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm half joking around but at least she didn't cut the minimum wage. Imagine that kind of outside the box thinking?!

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I rest my case.
what case?

Everyone who supports these radical MW hikes never has worked in administration responsible for paying people OR doesn't know what effect that has on people who actually make MW.

Why not $100 minimum? We know why you won't support that.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
what case?

Everyone who supports these radical MW hikes never has worked in administration responsible for paying people OR doesn't know what effect that has on people who actually make MW.

Why not $100 minimum? We know why you won't support that.

The Fed wanted inflation last I knew....