NFL vs NBA on Christmas; the ratings are in

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
NBA TV ratings have never been anywhere close to NFL ratings. The NBA kills the NFL in social media though.

THE 2022 SUPER BOWL
HAD 99 MILLION VIEWERS.
THE 2022 FINALS HAD 75 MILLION VIEWERS.

THE 1998 SUPER BOWL
HAD 90 MILLION VIEWERS.
THE 1998 FINALS HAD 184 MILLION VIEWERS.

:devil:
:evil:

HandyWithTheSteel

Superstar
Daps

THE 2022 SUPER BOWL
HAD 99 MILLION VIEWERS.
THE 2022 FINALS HAD 75 MILLION VIEWERS.

THE 1998 SUPER BOWL
HAD 90 MILLION VIEWERS.
THE 1998 FINALS HAD 184 MILLION VIEWERS.

Where the fukk are you getting your stats? :mjtf:

Google says the 1998 Super Bowl had 133 million viewers. The 1998 Finals had 29 million viewers per game.

Last edited:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Where the fukk are you getting stats? :mjtf:

Google says the 1998 Super Bowl had 133 million viewers. The 1998 Finals had 29 million viewers per game.

1998 FINALS HAD 184 MILLION
TOTAL VIEWERS COMBINED
THE 1998 SUPERBOWL HAD 90 MILLION.

NBA TEAMS DONT PLAY
ONE GAME PER WEEK SO IT
MAKES NO SENSE TO COMPARE
SINGLE GAME RATINGS.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
The World Cup ratings showed that the NFL fanbase is trending towards being an older one. NBA won't win the ratings in the US but they don't have to, basketball is growing around the world, all the NBA has to do is keep being the best league for it.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
basketball is growing around the world, all the NBA has to do is keep being the best league for it.
Do you understand how much of a diehard you have to be to watch live NBA broadcast overseas? Unless they're not gonna count non-live #'s, it would make no sense to factor that into the ratings discussion. The only NBA game I woke up to view was Kobe's last reg. season game when I lived overseas. Football games were at least on at a close time I could catch a quarter or two before bed.

Nero Christ

Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Do you understand how much of a diehard you have to be to watch live NBA broadcast overseas? Unless they're not gonna count non-live #'s, it would make no sense to factor that into the ratings discussion. The only NBA game I woke up to view was Kobe's last reg. season game when I lived overseas. Football games were at least on at a close time I could catch a quarter or two before bed.

That's where the next streaming deal will come in handy. Easier replay of games for those overseas

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Question for any brehs who were old enough to remember: how long has it been like this where the NFL is just substantially shytting on the NBA? Cuz I find it very hard to believe that this was an issue during the Jordan era.

Football is still football. Why the jump in popularity like this?

EDIT: I genuinely don't get it, football is a great sport, but that shyt starting to get overrated. It's not THAT fukkin entertaining
Less games, set schedule, more parity and unpredictability.

I use to watch basketball more than football, but I don’t now. Probably switched around 2014

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
That's where the next streaming deal will come in handy. Easier replay of games for those overseas
And it won't matter. The games get replayed anyway. My homegirl who was a big Kobe/Dubs fan (dikkrider fan) would checkout some games but who wants to watch a replay of a game when you can jump on YouTube or ESPN.com and know the result and watch highlights in 2-10 min. That's the majority of overseas fans I knew. It had to be a HUGE matchup for peeps to tune-in in real time.

Nero Christ

Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
And it won't matter. The games get replayed anyway. My homegirl who was a big Kobe/Dubs fan (dikkrider fan) would checkout some games but who wants to watch a replay of a game when you can jump on YouTube or ESPN.com and know the result and watch highlights in 2-10 min. That's the majority of overseas fans I knew. It had to be a HUGE matchup for peeps to tune-in in real time.

It's not just about live watchers...It's the total consumers of the product. The amount of subscribers and viewers (between the ages of 18 - 45) that can be sold a bunch of stuff.

You also factor in the deeper talent pool when your game is global and there's more chance you get a Yao Ming who to this day has a bunch of Chinese people watching Rockets games.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
No. It applies to the NFL as well.

All you have to do is read the responses by Eagles fans after they won the first Super Bowl. had fans talking about they didn’t cry at the grandfather‘s funeral but cried for the first time after the Eagles won because they know how much it meant to them.

shyt like that just doesn’t happen with the NBA outside of Knicks, Celtics, Lakers, and Sixers fans. The league barely respects the history of its teams. You are out of your damn mind if you think the NFL is driven by the he said/he said mantra like the NBA. The NBA leaves itself subject to the ups and downs around individual player love. The NFL knows it’s going to get love directed towards its teams. Everything else is just a bonus. They are just as many patriots fans invested in the patriots with Tom Brady gone as when he was there. Sorry to tell you. They’re not disappearing like when Jordan left. :manny:

None of this can be disputed and it’s the NBA’s own fault for this outcome.

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
It's not just about live watchers...It's the total consumers of the product. The amount of subscribers and viewers (between the ages of 18 - 45) that can be sold a bunch of stuff.

You also factor in the deeper talent pool when your game is global and there's more chance you get a Yao Ming who to this day has a bunch of Chinese people watching Rockets games.
So why haven't we seen another Yao? He's been out the game for a decade now and can you even name another Asian basketball player of his caliber since. Cricket, tennis, and hockey are HUGE overseas (more than Americans care to believe). Why subscribe when I have a myriad of other avenues to access your product. Not everyone who is interested in the NBA will necessarily be a subscriber to a particular service or channel. Subscribers isn't even a good metric to gauge popularity. Some people may subscribe to a service specifically to watch a particular team or player, while others may be more casual fans who only tune in for select games, while not caring about the entirety of the product. And when the NBA decides to change the price point of its streaming (which it will), how many will stick around?