concise

Veteran
Daps
Plan is to create localized jails in each borough except Staten Island(They have Richmond County). It can work to ease tension but it might have a negative factor though, localized beefs in the boroughs may be increased due to so many various gangs/neighborhoods but I'm all for borough based city jails, it makes it easier for family to see their inmates. Traveling to Rikers Island without a car is a real issue for those who aren't from Queens.

From initial reports, even Staten Island will get a new local jail.

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't exactly call it prime real estate. The development narrative is interesting but if that even happens we're looking at 25-30 maybe longer years away. Randall's island and Wards island would be better to do something with, and they haven't done nothing with it. That old psych center is just sitting there empty too. Governor's island is like a 5 minute ferry ride from downtown manhattan and they haven't floated any development ideas for that yet. Condos there would be insane with the location and views. But rikers? an island next to an airport inbetween queens and the bronx, only accessible by 1 bridge currently? Luxury condos? a Jay-Z money play? come on guys...

ultimately the problem isn't with the location but it's jail / CO culture in general. COs are horrible people in and outside of the jails..

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
tell me i'm wrong.

you're wrong. we're going to see the development of governor's island and randall's island way before they even think about developing rikers island... and they haven't even floated development ideas for the islands I mentioned yet

Edub

Veteran
Daps
Kalief clean up huh....damn shame it took a suicide.....:martin:

10 years huh, way to go NYC :stopitslime: