Obama’s "A Promised Land" Book Discussion Thread

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I’m guessing a good number of you are reading this book. Let’s discuss opinions on Obama’s recollection of his presidency.

First, Obama is a talented writer and deep thinker. I appreciate his ability to analyze and reflect on the experiences that led to the White House and his take on events as president.

what has caught my attention so far:
  1. First few chapters are a summary of his first book, Dreams from my Father.
  2. Chapter 6 - Reflections on Race was spot on.
  3. Chapter 16 Healthcare - Failed to realize a 60 vote majority was an anomaly or at least would become an anomaly in American partisan politics.
  4. Chapter 16 Beer Summit - According to internal polls, he lost more White support than anything he did in his eight years as president. Also received a lot of pushback from black staffers for holding the beer summit. Personally, I saw it as a very weak point in his presidency and I think it emboldened Republicans and invited attacks.
What say ya’ll?

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The excerpts have been fascinating.

Obama is a mixed bag for me. For the most part I loved his foreign policy approach (ironically this was what got the most pushback from neo-cons in his party and Republicans in general :mjpls:). Bit of a mixed bag domestic wise.

But his belief in American Exceptionalism (a concept that I despise and mock 100%) is something I've seen him touch on a bit in the excerpts. Definitely interested in why he looks through this prism. I don't think you can be president without spouting that crap, but his background is unique amongst other presidents.

Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for a pdf. Will buy a copy for my dad's library.