Offical Thread : Klitschko vs Joshua April 29 : Somebody bout to get dey ass Koed in fronna 90,000.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
lamon brewster is the only heavyweight to beat a wlad with a steward in his corner..so it is a possibility that Femi could have too

That wasn't prime Klitschko though....that was literally Klitschko's first first with Steward:heh:

What happened in the rematch with Brewster is the same thing that would've happened with Joshua on Saturday if he faced a prime Steward/Klitschko duo imo

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
hopefully..Femi earned a place on a list of fighters i need to see live..Femi vs Wilder whether in US or UK i got to be in the house for it

Same thing I was thinking breh...I think Ima start stacking up now, just in case it takes place in the UK.

watching Joshua vs Wilder, live from Wembley, with 100k in attendance would be the peak event I will ever see in my Boxing life:wow:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
That wasn't prime Klitschko though....that was literally Klitschko's first first with Steward:heh:

What happened in the rematch with Brewster is the same thing that would've happened with Joshua on Saturday if he faced a prime Steward/Klitschko duo imo

that wasn't prime Brewster either :pachaha:...that Brewster was finished and needed the money

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
hopefully..Femi earned a place on a list of fighters i need to see live..Femi vs Wilder whether in US or UK i got to be in the house for it
That's the biggest fight in boxing imo right now. I think Joshua wins just being more polished, but Wilder's one punch power makes it a great matchup

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
that wasn't prime Brewster either :pachaha:...that Brewster was finished and needed the money

It still was Klitschko's first fight with Steward in his corner. They improved immensely, which is why that 1st Brewster fight was the only loss, which was avenged in devasting fashion, in the entire Steward/Klitshcko era:manny:

16-1 record, 13 KOs, spanning over 8 1/2 years together:wow:

I just cant see a prime Klitschko with Steward on Saturday not finishing Joshua breh....Joshua wouldn't have made it out of the 6th round:hubie:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Same thing I was thinking breh...I think Ima start stacking up now, just in case it takes place in the UK.

watching Joshua vs Wilder, live from Wembley, with 100k in attendance would be the peak event I will ever see in my Boxing life:wow:
This shyt needs to somehow be a trilogy or something............

farfan

Rookie
Daps
Clear cut? He just beat a beltless Klitschko coming off a 2 year layoff and loss.

Its a fine win but this really feels like a fight along the lines of Canelo-Mosley... give the young fighter some props, but is it fair to give him too much credit for beating a former champ that was clearly on the decline?

I more or less find myself agreeing with @GREENandYELLOW on this.

As opposed to what exactly? a declining beltless Klitschko is still clearly a better win than anyone on Wilder's, Parker's, or Ortiz' resumes.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
As opposed to what exactly? a declining beltless Klitschko is still clearly a better win than anyone on Wilder's, Parker's, or Ortiz' resumes.

Best wins don't mean anything:manny:

Overall resume > best win :hubie:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
It still was Klitschko's first fight with Steward in his corner. They improved immensely, which is why that 1st Brewster fight was the only loss, which was avenged in devasting fashion, in the entire Steward/Klitshcko era:manny:

16-1 record, 13 KOs, spanning over 8 1/2 years together:wow:

I just cant see a prime Klitschko with Steward on Saturday not finishing Joshua breh....Joshua wouldn't have made it out of the 6th round:hubie:

Yup Manny would have told him "HE'S FINISHED JUMP ON HIM YOU BETTER NOT COME BACK HERE FOR THE NEXT ROUND MOTHERfukkER"

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Wlad still had a terrible showing against Fury, and clearly showed signs of decline against Jennings, who was TKO'd in his next fight. Yeah, the comparison isn't perfect, but there are a lot of similarities there IMO.

Do you guys think 41 year old Wlad beats Wilder or Ortiz? Does he even beat Fury if they would've had an immediate rematch?

I'm not sure how to perceive all the struggles Joshua had in this fight. He certainly passed the gut check, but should Wlad have been as competitive as he was? Meaning, was Wlad just THAT good after taking two years off, or did Joshua struggle that fiercely against a fighter whose better days are clearly behind him?

I'm legitimately curious to see what y'all think.
I'm in agreement with Roy when he was saying that this was the best Wlad he'd seen in a very long time. With that being said, Wlad only won rounds when AJ was trying to catch his second wind. The first 5 rounds, and the last 3 rounds, were all essentially for AJ. Wlad won the middle few. If that's the case, AJ was the clear better man in the ring. He hadn't fought past the 8th round I think, right? So I would think he'd only get better in these fights that go into the 11th/12th.

I think people say he has too much muscle mass and that could hurt him with fatigue issues, but I feel like his fatigue issue was trying to go all out in that 5th round. He had plenty of power in the 11th with that uppercut that essentially ended the fight.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Joshua stirs emotion in Nigerian town of Sagamu

Anthony Joshua stirs emotion in Nigerian town of Sagamu
By Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

r205332_608x342_16-9.jpg

As Wladimir Klitschko hit the canvas for the first time in the 11th round of his world heavyweight title fight against Anthony Joshua - the second time in the fight - bedlam erupted at the makeshift open-air viewing centre in the small town of Sagamu, Nigeria.

One over-enthusiastic fan knocked over the projector from which the game was streaming and the screen went blank. Time enough to miss the flurry-fisted denouement; the referee calling a halt to the fight and declaring Joshua, whose parents hail from the small town in south western Nigeria, the winner.

There was some nervous uncertainty while the screen was set right. Their premature celebration in Round 5 when Klitschko went down had transmuted into their boxer taking a beating towards the end and then getting floored in the 6th. But jangling nerves were soon turned to an unbridled rush of adrenaline as journalist Kingsley Oyero, who was also following the fight on Twitter, declared that the contest was over - to another round of chaos breaking out - and then some when the replays came on.

Even politician Yinka Mafe, Majority Leader of the Ogun State House of Assembly, could not hold back the emotions, raised arms pumping in unison with the street children who had also gathered to cheer their son to victory. For that moment, there was no separation between high-ranking legislator and beer-reeking commoner.

Adedamola Joshua, the boxer's great uncle, was almost in tears as he hurriedly made his way out of the venue, almost smothered by congratulatory hugs and handshakes.

"This is a miracle," the elder Joshua said. "I was so scared when he went down, I thought it was over. But he showed strength and fight to come back and when he got past that, I knew he would win."

It was in sharp contrast to his pre-fight confidence, when he declared that his young nephew would make easy work of the 41-year-old former champion: "Femi is younger, he is faster and he has the stamina to last for 12 rounds so I am very confident that he will win," Adedamola had said before the fight.

He was not alone. Most of the town's young men, and a few older ones, along with a scattering of women, appeared to have turned up to watch the fight. They all swaggered in, confident that Joshua would win with ease.

Kayode Segun-Okeowo, the Sagamu Youth President whose organisation put the viewing event together, was more confident than most, but had lost his voice by the end. Before the fight he had no doubts who the victory would go to: "Joshua will win. Klitschko cannot withstand him."

Such was the outpouring of support that almost every punch Joshua threw drew cheers, and every hit he took led to collective wincing and groaning.

It was no less than a scion of the Joshua family deserved.

Joshua's father Jonathan is the grandson of one of Sagamu's greatest men. Born in 1882, their late patriarch Omo-Oba Daniel Adebambo Joshua was one of the first to engage in trade with Europeans in the early 19th century. The title 'Omo-Oba' literally translates to 'Prince'.

r205938_800x533_3-2.jpg

Omo-Oba Daniel Adebambo Joshua - Anthony Joshua's great grandfather
He was also a top staff of the UAC company, and with foresight uncommon at the time, gradually bought up a huge spread of land holdings covering almost half the town, making him not only one of the most educated men in the region at the time, but also one of the wealthiest.

This meant that although he had 12 wives and numerous offspring, he could still afford to send his children to school abroad. It was while studying in the United Kingdom that one of his sons met and married an Irish woman.

Adedamola tells a story of how AJ's grandfather was involved in a scuffle while in the UK with three white men who questioned his right to marry a white woman. "That was in 1952. They insulted him, telling him he had no right to marry a white woman. He singlehandedly beat all three of them up. I'm sure that's where Anthony's fighting skills come from."

AJ's father Jonathan is one product of that union. But such are his ties to his roots that he came back home to Sagamu to find a wife, Joshua's mum Yeta.

Adebambo Joshua's respect among the people of Sagamu comes not just from the wealth he acquired, but also for his intelligence and generosity. As a Christian and chairman of the Christ African Church, Baba Josh donated some of his lands to the Christ African Church, the Anglican Church, the Catholic Church and even a mosque. The Joshua Hall at the Sagamu Mosque is the only such hall within a Muslim complex carrying a Christian name.

Bizarrely, until this Saturday, very few people in Sagamu knew that AJ was one of theirs. It was a gap that Segun-Okeowo and his Sagamu Youth Congress felt they needed to close.

On the morning of the fight, they organised a march around the town wearing t-shirts adorned with a picture of AJ. They started from his great grandfather's house on Cinema Street (where Baba Josh built the first cinema in the region, which still stands) and ended up at the Epele Palace.

"We wanted to make sure the whole town knew he was our son and to mobilise people to come out and support him by watching the fight.

"We believed he would win, but for us that was not really important. Win or lose, we wanted to be able to support one of our own and we are very happy at the turnout and the support."

What support it was. As the 90 000 Britons packed into Wembley exploded into barely restrained cacophony, they would have found that their voices were matched - if not drowned out - by the few hundreds sitting, some standing and others huddling in front of the Akarigbo Palace in Sagamu. Segun-Okeowo lost his voice by the end. He was not alone.

AJ may be British, he may be fighting under the Union Jack, but there is little doubt of the pull that his roots inspire. And it might not be too long before we see him in Sagamu.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Dan Rafael chat wrap 5/5 (Cinco de Mayo edition):

Joshua vs. Klitschko:
- Believes Klitschko will pick up the rematch option. Told that if Klitschko does pick up the rematch it must take place within 6 months.
- Rematch could take place in the UK, not impossible it could be in NY.
- One of the best events he has ever covered. Atmosphere was fantastic.
- Is Joshua top 10 PFP? No.
- The right hand is Wlad's signature punch, impressive that Joshua got up from it.
- Joshua brought out the best in Klitschko and it proved that Wlad definitely isn't washed up and a rematch or another fight for Wlad is not a bad move for him.
- Had spoken on the phone with Joshua, this was his first time meeting him in person. Could not have been nicer or easier to deal with. Very impressive demeanor.
- Frontrunner for fight of the year (second is Chocolatito vs. Sor).
- Thought the ref stopped the fight a little too soon.
- Wilder vs. Joshua? Down the road, yes, this year, no.
- Joshua vs. Wilder who is the favorite? Joshua.
- Thought HBO did a terrible job on their editing on the replay. Should have showed some of the intros and pre-fight atmosphere.
- The fight showed that Wlad's chin isn't as bad as it is often portrayed.
- Stitch Duran is Wlad's cutman and one of the best.
- Disappointing to hear Hearn say that Joshua will only be fighting twice a year now.
- Best HW fight since Vitali vs. Lewis.
- Joshua and his trainer McKracken did a good job getting through the KD.
- Martinez vs. JCC had a bigger crowd reaction (loudest he has heard) to the KD than Joshua-Klitschko.