Official 2017 NFL Free Agency Thread

calh45

Cal
Daps
I know some of y'all hate Deadspin, but they're really the only place that calls the NFL and their shills on their shyt anymore

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-machine-has-finally-beaten-colin-kaepernick-1795900410

All of them are really trying to pretend like Kap isn't one of the best 64 QBs on the planet like Oswelier's team didn't win in spite of him last year

From the article said:
Benoit is clearly an idiot, but what’s dismaying here is that his idiocy is in lockstep with the rest of the NFL. Coverage like this exists to reinforce the dopey values that the NFL already holds dear. The insiders who talk to access merchants have lots of reason to go on about nuance in the pocket and unread reads and generally make throwing a ball seem like a task on par with flying a fighter jet, and the access merchants have lots of reason to take them seriously. The execs and coaches get to posture like they’re generals; the writers get to posture like they’ve seen into the hidden and ineffable complexities of the sport, which the average fan could never see with their own eyes. All of these people have incentive to talk about how Kap just doesn’t get the subtleties of the game like they do.

You can see this dynamic in Benoit’s followup post, where instead of doing anything to actually back his assertions about how a bunch of shytty QBs are better than Kap, he claims that 90 percent of the league agrees with his take that Kaepernick is not a proper pocket passer, a bit of racially-coded language that had its varnish stripped away years and years ago. (The man Kap hoped to back up, Russell Wilson, is not a traditional pocket passer and still does quite nicely for himself.) Benoit also says that his opinion of Kap has nothing to do with the anthem protest, and then IMMEDIATELY says this:

To sign Kaepernick, a team must be willing to take on the distraction that follows lightning rods. And the team must be willing to alter its entire offense (for worse). It’s not worth it.

NFL teams may scheme relentlessly against one another and claim to have their own best practices, but deep down, they are all a sadly uncreative lot, and easily influenced by what other teams are doing. Just last month, Giants owner and spineless tit John Mara said his team got more angry calls about potentially signing Kaepernick than they did about any other issue, which is weird because a) this the team that re-signed Josh Brown after a horrifying DV incident, and b) why on Earth should any team give a fukk what fans think when making vital personnel moves? I can guarantee, though, that the Giants are hardly alone in turtling away from Kap, whose greatest sin was openly decrying institutional racism in America, out of fear. (By the way, the Giants opted to sign Geno Smith, who has more INTs in 33 games than Kap has in 69. In today’s NFL, apparently you’re better off just throwing the ball to the other team as long as you stay in the cherished pocket.)

I’m not here to make the statistical argument for Kaepernick, and I’m not here to make the moral argument for him either. I’m just here to say that I give up, and that any valid argument made on his behalf is a waste of time when presented to a league that has already decided to wash its hands of him. You may as well be arguing with a fukking wall.

It doesn’t matter why the NFL doesn’t want Kaepernick (He’s too frail! He wants too much money! His girlfriend is a militant! DURRRR SOMETHING ABOUT TEAM CHEMISTRY DURRRRR!). All that matters is that it’s been decided. All that matters is that any excuse to cast out Kaepernick will be deemed valid by people like Breer and Benoit.

It's getting closer and closer for me to close the curtain on being an NFL fan anymore

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know some of y'all hate Deadspin, but they're really the only place that calls the NFL and their shills on their shyt anymore

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-machine-has-finally-beaten-colin-kaepernick-1795900410

All of them are really trying to pretend like Kap isn't one of the best 64 QBs on the planet like Oswelier's team didn't win in spite of him last year

It's getting closer and closer for me to close the curtain on being an NFL fan anymore

I don't really to hear about football reasons when Seattle signs a guy who got cut from practice squads to be their back up.

The locker room has to be looking at Pete funny. You know they were ready to welcome Kap.

Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
I don't really to hear about football reasons when Seattle signs a guy who got cut from practice squads to be their back up.

The locker room has to be looking at Pete funny. You know they were ready to welcome Kap.
Other than Kaepernick, the NFL doesn’t give up on 29-year-old QBs

A quarterback in his prime is a scarce commodity the NFL, and so quarterbacks at age 29 or 30 are always in demand. With the exception of Colin Kaepernick.

Last year, in the season he turned 29 years old, Kaepernick completed 196 of 331 passes for 2,241 yards, with 16 touchdowns and four interceptions. This year, Kaepernick will turn 30 years old, and he can’t find a job. That’s not just rare, it’s unprecedented.

According to Scott Kacsmar of Football Outsiders, Kaepernick is one of 144 quarterbacks who have thrown 200 or more passes in the year they turned 29. The other 143 could all find jobs in the year they turned 30. Only Kaepernick can’t.

In other words, if you’re good enough to play quarterback at all when you’re 29 — even if you don’t play well — the NFL is going to find a roster spot for you at age 30. Quarterbacks are just too valuable to ignore one who can play. Which makes Kaepernick’s continued unemployment all the more interesting.

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
He's injury prone :yeshrug:

He had a season ending injury early last year but apart from that he most games he's missed in a season was 2 in his rookie year

He'llbe good in the slot and a good guy to have in the group with Tajae Sharp and Rishad Matthews (very underrated imo)

Damnand they got Delanie Walker and drfated Corey Davis :dwillhuh::jbhmm::whoo:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He had a season ending injury early last year but apart from that he most games he's missed in a season was 2 in his rookie year

He'llbe good in the slot and a good guy to have in the group with Tajae Sharp and Rishad Matthews (very underrated imo)

Damnand they got Delanie Walker and drfated Corey Davis :dwillhuh::jbhmm::whoo:

My mistake:yeshrug:

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
I'd love Tennessee as a sleeper if Mariota didn't blow out his leg damn near on Christmas

dudes usually struggle that first year back, especially playing the time table he's about to.