Official Black TV Show Tiers Thread

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
So I got inspired by one of the brehs in the thread yesterday on parenthood vs hughleys to make a tier thread on black tv shows. It was a post by some breh with nets in his name, sorry I can't recall you and too lazy to go look. Anyways thought it'd be cool to create a thread where everyone can rank their shows in tiers and discuss. You may have more tiers and shows in different tiers but everything's open for discussing. Now I haven't watched every single episode of every one of these shows and I omitted a few shows that I either didn't watch much of to form a decent opinion or at all, such as amen and 227. Thought it was going to be fairly easy but kept coming up with shows so I wrote down my list. Here's mine with opinions on the top tier. Feel free to post yours.

Tier One:
Fresh Prince: classic show that had all the elements of a great sitcom. Comedy, variety of characters and topics, mischief and morals.

Family Matters: family seems to be one of the main factors in great comedies. A variety of characters all centered around one character, Steve. Show had a recurring theme with his antics but they made it work every time. Storylines about love, growing up, his perseverance, and sticking together like family make this a great sitcom.

The Cosby Show: Might be one of if not the best black tv show ever, this or fresh Prince. The positivity and theme of this show make it great. Plus it has the comedy too. A big family unit and cast is a big reason why this show is great. Different characters each with their own unique personality and the way cliff and Claire were able to hold the house together was great too.

Martin: from the hip hop cameos like big and meth to name a few that come to mind, to the different characters played by Martin like shenenah and Jerome, the original playa from the Himalayas. This show had comedy all over the place. From recurring themes like Martin snapping on Pam to Tommy and his job to bruhman from the fifth floor. This show proved that you didn't need to have a show centered around a family to be great.

Sanford and son: old school here but an excellent show. Fred Sanford is the king of wits and he was top notch on this show. So was Lamont and everyone else but Fred took things to another level. From his snaps on lamont, "You big dummy" to his constant dramatic heart attacks, "I'm coming Elizabeth, this feels like the big one." Red Foxx is a legend and so is this show.

Good Times: now I don't have much viewing experience on this but this is another great show. Family theme, memorable character in JJ and his dynomite catchphrase and plenty of comedy.

Tier Two:
The Jeffersons
Different world
Living single
The Jamie Foxx show
My wife and kids
Kenan and Kel
Different strokes
Boondocks
Wayans Bros

Tier Three:
The Hughleys
The Parenthood
Smart guy
Sister sister
Hanging with Mr Cooper
The Bernie Mac show
The Steve Harvey show
Girlfriends
Everybody hates Chris

Tier Four:
Homeboys in outer space
Malcolm and Eddie
Moesha
The Parkers
In the house
Cosby
That's so raven
Cousin Skeeter

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
Family Matters: family seems to be one of the main factors in great comedies. A variety of characters all centered around one character, Steve. Show had a recurring theme with his antics but they made it work every time. Storylines about love, growing up, his perseverance, and sticking together like family make this a great sitcom.
should NOT be tier one fell off hard after season 3

replace with the Jeffersons

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I'm cool on Family Matters now it would've been tier 1 a few years ago but I don't even care when it's on tv especially the first season. Everything else is ok.. I'm kinda good on Good Times being tier 1 too but I'll let it rock.

Everybody Hates Chris is tier 2 for me.. I'm a big Chris Rock fan so that might be homer talk lol. The Jamie Foxx show was cool but it gets bumped to at least 3. I fukks with EHC way more than that show. Smart Guy might have to move up too.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Why you placed boondocks so low?
While I love the boondocks and feel that it was a great comic and cartoon, I think that it didn't last long enough to be tier one. If you include the comics then definitely a tier one. I remember there was a long delay with the third season release right? Few more seasons and it would've been one of the goats.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
I like your list. fresh prince and. Wayne's bros are my two favorite ever. Love how they still come on tv

But I like every one of the shows you posted.

I'm 31 and watched/watch a lot of TV so I've seen basically every show you posted

You forgot "In Living Color"

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
While I love the boondocks and feel that it was a great comic and cartoon, I think that it didn't last long enough to be tier one. If you include the comics then definitely a tier one. I remember there was a long delay with the third season release right? Few more seasons and it would've been one of the goats.
After the 3rd I went down hill.